Intestine Problem During Surgery

sixtosbaby
on 5/7/11 9:47 pm - Bellevue, NE
Hey everyone~ 

It's been a while since I have been on.  I had my surgery on April 5th, came home on April 12th, and went back in the hospital on April 13th which they kept me for 2 more weeks.  It's been a horrible ride and I still feel terrible.

That said, I've been on here trying to search the problem that I had but I'm having no luck, (I've been using the google advanced search way)  So here is my problem...

When the Dr. was trying to put my intestines back together, the clips would just fall right through the intestine.  Like they were mush.  I know on the one he ended up using clips, staples, stitches, mesh and glue in order to get it to stay.  That made for some major swelling which is what kept me in the hospital so long the first time round.  After I went home I was back within 24 hours because something I ate was stuck and when I drank water behind it, it blew through the intestinal wall and I had to wait 2 weeks for that to heal. 

So does anyone know much about the mushy intestine thing?  Does anyone remember anyone talking about it?  I'd like to know if I'm gonna have problems forever or does this issue clear itself up?  I mean I never had a problem pre-op and I can tell you, I put some stuff down there that was huge amounts and sometimes gobbled up so quick it wasn't chewed all the way, so what the heck happened?

Thanks for you imput. 
Michelle    
(deactivated member)
on 5/7/11 10:48 pm

Get copies of your surgery reports so you can see exactly what you are dealing with and research it ......just a thought.

leslieanne729
on 5/7/11 10:56 pm
What type of post-op diet did your surgeon send you home on? 

What was it that you ate at 2 weeks out that got stuck & sent you to the hospital?

What type of food are you eating now?

RNY 2002 (regained everything)   Revised to DS 2007
5'8"  SW 246 - GW 150 - LW 143 - CW-148
Follow Your Dreams.... & Hold On To Them !!  

Angel to Karen W
Angel to MIssy
sixtosbaby
on 5/7/11 11:12 pm - Bellevue, NE
Well honestly, when I went home the first time I was on full liquids like jello, applesauce, puddings, etc.  I went on a big shopping spree at Sam's Club before I went in but they did not have sugar-free puddings or jellos, my daughter was supposed to stock me up before I came home but my kids were unable to locate my debt card, last used and stashed in a pocket of my 2nd daughter.  When I came home I only had foods for the the next stage, the soft type foods.  I helped my daughter locate the debt card and commissioned a friend to head to the store, it was gonna be a few hours and I was hungry.  I decided to eat a piece of shaved turkey, very thinly sliced, 2 nibbles and chewed until I felt it was like liquid.  That is what went caused my problem.

I am currently on full liquids again, I went home to my mom's house for almost a week, she stocked me up and I had at home the stuff that my friend had gotten for me before.  And honestly I cannot stand to eat the jello or pudding and only use the applesauce to take my multi-vitamin and 2 medications (I have to grind them).  I work very hard to get enough water and don't usually make it to 64, but close when I count other things, a protein shake, some soup. 
Michelle    
sixtosbaby
on 5/7/11 11:00 pm - Bellevue, NE
Wanted to add that my surgeon did say that this was not the first time he has seen this, but does not know what causes it.  And some of my DS friends on fb have told me this problem has been talked about here before, so I'm hoping someone remembers.

I see my surgeon on Monday, I will be receiving my report then, thanks for the suggestion.
Michelle    
lovemypugs
on 5/7/11 11:42 pm - VA
I cannot verify the accuracy of this because I don't remember where I read it, but when I was researching DS, I vaguely recall reading that one of the reasons surgeons do not do the DS is because the part of the intestines that needs to be stitched can sometimes be like tissue paper and is very hard to stitch. I do not know if this is true, but it might be in your situation. I will try to go back in my saved stuff and see if I can find it and determine if there is any truth to it.

Duodenal Switch on February 21, 2011

Surgery weight: 276; Current weight: 122; Height: 5'5

Plastics scheduled for 10/3/14: BL/BA, LBL, TL

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/11 1:39 am - San Jose, CA
I have never heard of your surgeon as a DS surgeon.  EXPERIENCE LEVELS MATTER with the DS!

The duodenum is very difficult to suture - it is one of the REAL reasons that many surgeons don't want to do the DS (but they TELL people it is because of the "nutritional issues").  It sounds like perhaps your surgeon didn't have the necessary expertise to perform the DS properly.

But your elaborate explanation of why you cheated on your post-op diet does not absolve you of your culpability in this problem.
P. Poster
on 5/8/11 10:35 am
 Ditto.  There is a reason there is a vetted DS surgeon list.  It's because they are the only ones with the experience, education and stats to prove they know their way through this very challenging surgery.  They are also the ones that have VERY low complication rates...  I would seek a second opinion from a VETTED surgeon.  Anthone should be within driving distance of you in NE.  Call him.
(deactivated member)
on 5/8/11 3:27 am
 I've only heard of this from one person, I don't remember her name, but she had chemo therapy and her doctor said that was the reason of the fragile tissue. But I don't think she had a "blow-out", just that the surgeon had difficulty stitching the intestine.

I also second to what Diana said, your surgeon is not one that is a "regular" DS surgeon. Expertise counts for a lot in this surgery.
sixtosbaby
on 5/8/11 12:18 pm - Bellevue, NE

I had chemo as well.  Do you know if she did ok with her DS? 

Michelle    
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views