1 Week out, cannot stay awake

Rors
on 5/25/11 5:48 am - Johnson City, TN
This just started yesterday but it is making it diffcult to get fluids in.
My surgery was last Tuesday and I got out of the hosipital Friday afternoon
so I was on IV's up until that point. Friday I probably got in bit over 30oz of fluid
in (plus IV's) Satuday I got in close to 60 but not over. Sunday I did get in 64+ ounces.
Monday I again I got close to 60 put probably not the full 64. I awoke Tuesday Night around
4am with my stomach making all kinds of of rumbling, gurgling noises. It pretty much kept me
awake the rest of the night. It quieted down around 9am and I was able to go to sleep and slept until about 1pm. I got up, walked and went to restroom. But after that I was dozing off and on all day not getting much liquids in.  I woke up this morning at 7am while my wife was getting the kid
ready for school. I took my meds, walked etc but dozed off at 9am after they left and didn't wake
up until almost 2pm today. I have stayed awake but I could easily go back to sleep right now.
I have a call into my surgeon's nurse to see if they can give me any tips. I also have follow up
with MY PCP tomorrow afternoon. Am I just not getting enough fluids and that is what is making me tired? But it hard to drink when you are asleep.

BeSwitched
on 5/25/11 5:59 am, edited 1/23/12 5:12 pm

zuzupetals2u2
on 5/25/11 6:23 am - Sedona, AZ
listen to what your body tells you it needs- sleep. You need a lot of it to heal. Fluids can be dealt with while you are awake. I wasnt one to sip sip sip like they all say here - I drank when I could and kept at it and had soups, jello, popsicles and it all is liquid too. Just do what you can when you can but denying your body sleep is not right. The gurgling noises are normal. After awhile you will learn to tune it out. You are going to be thrilled with the results so keep going and prepare to be happy with your decision to get the DS.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Kathleen F.
on 5/25/11 6:23 am
Since you are only one week out, you are in healing mode. You have just had major surgery and your body needs rest in order to heal. Get as much liquids and walking in as you can while you are awake and don't be afraid to get plenty of rest.
beemerbeeper
on 5/25/11 7:09 am - AL
Surgery knocked me off my ass too.  I just napped and napped and tried to sip whenever I was awake.  If I woke up I would have things at the beside to sip.

Give yourself time to heal. 

~Becky

southernlady5464
on 5/25/11 9:05 am
Rorrs, I know what Dr. B's office SAYS to do once you get home and that is to stay awake ALL day long so you can sip every 10 mins...

BULL HOCKEY, listen to your body. if it needs you to sleep, then sleep. While awake then sip.

To be honest, the 2 week checkup is just to check your incisions and to ask if you have any questions and to ASK if you are getting in enough fluid. They really don't ask when you sip, just that you do.

So don't worry, sleep when you can. You're body just had major surgery and is in healing mode. Listen to it, not to the nurse who will tell you you have to only sleep from 10PM to 6AM.

Liz (who slept when she danged well felt like it at that time)

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

dtabor5
on 5/26/11 10:01 am
I am with you!!!! I walked sipped and slept whenever the mood hit!!! your body just went through a major thing and it is so tired.. let it rest and you listen and rest too.... the more you rest ( as long as you are walking as well) the faster you heal

Denise

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

KellyJTn
on 5/25/11 10:58 am - Oak Ridge, TN
Totally normal! I was so tired for about 3 weeks that I could hardly keep my eyes open. Not to mention the pain medication knocked me out. It will get better, just stay on top of those fluids. I didn't and I got dehydrated really quickly and ended up back in the hospital.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 5/26/11 5:30 am
Ditto for me, I was very sleepy for the first couple of months. don't worry, just rest up :)
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Victorious_one
on 5/28/11 6:15 am - South Central, PA

Joining the chorus of "normal!"

It took a good long while for me to get my sleep pattern back on track.  I slept when I could, and stayed awake and sipped when I could.  

Take as much time as you can/need to rest and heal.  Walk around a bit while you're awake if you can.  Don't sweat the small stuff (like 4 oz of fluids--you'll do better on another day!).

Hang in there!

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 701 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1014 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 340 views