I'm home and feeling good!

lisarn
on 6/5/11 12:45 pm - Omaha, NE
Hello all! First thanks so much for all the kind words and support.
I finally did pass gas on Saturday while in the shower. Never so magical a sound! lol
After that shower, I felt like a new woman. I got discharge this afternoon (Sunday), 5 days after my surgery. I had an open DS.
Overall things went well. I think I posted about waking up with the ET tube still in while in recovery. That really hurt. They kept me in recovery a little longer cuz my bp was high. They were great, I just would mumble "pain", and I got meds, "sick" and I got nausea meds. But when I was finally awake a bit more I asked what size cuff they were using for the BP, was it the large size? No, regular. She got the large one on, and bp's were normal. That first night was a blur to me, I know I didn't sleep much. I had a room mate so my hubby had to sleep in the family waiting room.
I did get nauseated that night.
Weds. Up in the chair, was going great. Then when I got up, my epidural tubing was caught and got pulled apart. so that had to come out.  CRAP. Got an order for morphine pca which I even questions because of potential nausea issues. But since I'd never had it they wanted to try it. I took an hour to get put up and by then I was in PAIN. Also a private room opened up, so I got to move then as well. Sure enough, the morphine made me sick, so I had diladid. I love diladid!
Thursday I thought I was doing so much better, and I was, but now looking back, not so much. I was up a bit more, that was it.
Friday morning, leak test. I went down to radiology, took a sip, they said it was "stuck", then oh, a little got through. So they had me take another drink of the thicker barium and, yep, stuck again and I was ready to throw it up. they got me a bag, and really no retching, just the fluid coming back up. I felt it pass through, so they got me back up, and it was through on xray. Radiologist said that they might have to keep the NG tube in longer since it went so slow. Got back to room just as Dr. A's nurse practitioner got there, she looked at the xrays said all was fine and pulled that tube out! Yea!  I had so much energy the rest fo the morning, but by afternoon I was fried.
Saturday Dr. A came by, had them stop the heart monitor, I took a shower and passed gas like I said before. Had a few bites of scrambled egg, and chicken broth. Hot tea was WONDERFUL.
Sunday...I'm home! 
Now that monday will be here, I need to start tracking my fluid intake and protein intake. I kinda let today go by since I had an IV up till noon and still drank about 15 oz. I have the feeding tube to flush with water in just a bit too.
Oh, and on Tues/Weds/Thurs I was saying why did I do this?????? Now I'm happy I did it. And I am like 8 lbs lighter on my home scale from what I was morning of surgery!

HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

Nurse N.
on 6/5/11 1:04 pm, edited 6/5/11 1:05 pm
Hey Lisa! Glad you made it home safely and had an uneventful surgery (well besides the ET tube ordeal). I'm a nurse also, and wondered how would this journey be. I've been a nurse for almost 2 years, and I've heard we make the worse patients, since we "know" so much. Anyways, glad you are happy with your decision. Hopefully I will be joining you soon!

Take Care,

Nika

Lapband September 2007------>Revision to Duodenal Switch September 6, 2011

*A SETBACK IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A COMEBACK!

teachmid
on 6/5/11 1:04 pm - OKC, OK
Welcome home. Sounds like all is going well. Sending you wishes for a boring recovery.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

J G.
on 6/5/11 2:57 pm
Yeah, that remorse doesn't last long.  Sorry you had the nausea issues.  Sounds like that was what messed you up.  Set an alarm clock so you don't go too long without fluids.  I'd say just 4 hrs to begin with.  In a week you will feel like a different person!

I'm slidin' over for ya.  Jenny 
Diane Davis
on 6/5/11 3:00 pm
So happy you're home and doing so well!  Been wondering about you.  Will keep you in my prayers for a safe and uneventful journey.  Keep posting, will enjoy sharing your journey with you!

My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
beth-28
on 6/5/11 3:32 pm
Congratulations!

I have 3 questions that any one can answer.

1. Does everyone get a feeding tube?
2. Should every newbie wake up at night (every 4 hours)?
3. When you coun't get the contrst down, did they think you had a stricture?

Thanks,
Beth
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

teachmid
on 6/5/11 11:29 pm - OKC, OK
Beth,
1. The feeding tube varies with the surgeon and the procedure (virgin DS vs revision). I had one for 6 weeks and it was kind of an insurance policy against getting dehydrated.

2. In the hospital they nurses got me up every 4 hours around the clock to walk starting 4 hours after I got to my room. Once discharged I had trouble sleeping for more than a couple hours at a time, so got up and walked a little since I was fearful of a DVT/blood clot.

3. Don't know since I didn't have to do that test with contrast media. I drank "blue water"....dye added to the water and they watched the drainage tubes for blue dye.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

lisarn
on 6/6/11 1:33 am - Omaha, NE
Beth,

1. Depends on the surgeon and the patients condition. Dr. Anthone does this as regular practice and I am very happy for it. I've read so much of newbies getting dehydrated and needing to go to the ER to get an IV. Also, it can be hard to get protein in, and I can dilute my protein shakes down, and use the tube for that. 

2. In the hospital, yes they will get you up. My first night home, we set an alarm for 4.5 hours so I could see if I needed a pain pill. And I did hydrate at that time. It will depend on your pain level, and if you have a hard time getting hydration in.

3. They didn't think it was a stricture, just still swollen tissue from the trauma of surgery. But like two minutes later, it passed and they saw it on the xray.

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/11 6:11 pm
Congratulations on coming home Lisa!  I'm excited for you, 8 lbs in 5 days is awesome!  Can't wait til it's my turn out there in Omaha! 
lisarn
on 6/6/11 1:33 am - Omaha, NE
Thanks!
Can't wait till it's your turn too!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 792 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1071 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 353 views