Discussing Labs w/ my PCP . . . Advice, please??

DivaJojo
on 6/6/11 5:08 am - Atlanta, GA
Hello All;

Okay, I have an appointment on Wednesday morning (soonest they could see me) to discuss labwork with my pcp.  I've never had my labs done through him and though I know he has several WLS patients, don't know his take on the labs and results.  Since I want to do this every 3 months at least for the next year or two, I thought it would be good to go in person to discuss the first set.

I'm taking Vitalady's recommended lab list and targets with me, but not sure how to handle the "conversation" beyond, "this is what I need and I need it coded so it's covered - do it or else!"  Okay, not exactly that, but you get my meaning.  For example:

Do I need to be prepared to explain each one to him? - because I don't think I'm equipped to do that.  I may not have a problem with the initial since I've not been compliant for a good bit, but he may balk at the repeated testing every three months.

Any advice on this possible "fight?"  I'm hoping it'll be much easier than I'm anticipating.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

teachmid
on 6/6/11 5:23 am - OKC, OK
At DSFacts.com there a sample of a conversation with your PCP that might give you some ideas.

Have you ever seen him for anything related to your DS?
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

DivaJojo
on 6/6/11 6:20 am - Atlanta, GA
He handled some of my pre-op work up, but I can't think of a reason directly related to surgery that I have seen him.  I did go to him when I started having odd, weakening feeling headaches a few weeks after and discovered my blood pressure was too low and we needed to increase my salt intake with a gatorade or something.

teachmid
on 6/6/11 6:25 am - OKC, OK
I'm sure the vets will chime in at some point, but I'd just tell him I'm trying to get my health under better control and need these labs done because of the DS. That's basically what I told my PCP and asked her help in the monitoring. In fact I saw mine today and it went really well.
     -Gail-

DivaJojo
on 6/6/11 6:59 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks so much.

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/11 10:25 am - Yorktown, VA
My DS surgeon is 3.5 hours away so I kind of let my PCP believe that the surgeon had requested these be done..........
(deactivated member)
on 6/6/11 10:47 am
 I did kind of like Tessy did, I took my list and told my PCP these are the labs that I need to have done. I didn't say my surgeon said so, but I let him think it. And he gave me no problems.

Even later I switched to have my care done by my endo, I did the same thing and just took in the list (all typed out and everything) very professional, LOL.
He gives me no problem, he in fact thanks me for having it already on a sheet so all he has to do is attach a prescription pad slip with his directions. 
I hope it works for you too.
nightowl
on 6/6/11 11:03 am - Topeka, KS
I wish you had more responders, because I could use some more ideas, too.  Anywho, here is a document that I had some of the pages printed out of even pre-op.  I am thinking of taking this to my next PCP appt. to try to get more of these items on the list tested.  Since my DS surgeon is local, I have had a mix of some labs ordered by the surgical practice and some by my PCP at different times, and some less-related labs ordered by my psychiatrist.
In particular, go to page 23 (out of 83) to print out the suggested labs, and page 1 for the list of medical associations that endorse this document.
www.aace.com/sites/default/files/Bariatric.pdf
teachmid
on 6/6/11 12:36 pm - OKC, OK
Pre-op my surgeon had a list of tests (upper GI, chest x-ray, EKG) and labs that had to be done and sent to his office. I took this document to my PCP and asked her to order it all.
     -Gail-

goodkel
on 6/6/11 1:07 pm
He just needs to code the labs as malabsorption syndrome. That would also explain why you require to be tested frequently for those areas that are deficient or declining.

I didn't explain anything to my pcp and she didn't ask. She thinks some levels are too high (B-12) and she shakes her head at some of the things I request, but she does what I ask and that's all that matters. Just be sure to get a hard copy and track your labs yourself.

Your pcp may not even mention levels that fall within a normal range even if the level is just a hair above a deficiency or there has been a downward trend. This is an area you need to handle yourself. All that matters is that he's cooperative, does what you ask of him, and provides you with a hard copy of the actual results.

Tell him that you're following them with your surgeon if that helps you. I made no such claim.

Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 376 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 826 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views