Post-*****fest follow-up: lab results

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/11 9:46 am - Woodbridge, VA
Pretty much all good news! Update on diabetes-related labs here:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4424662/A-little-over -2-years-out-Type-2-Diabetes-status/

Nothing is low that shouldn't be low, and the only things that are high are my copper, B6, and B12, same as last labs back in the late fall. Since my last labs, I stopped taking my liquid sublingual B complex since it has B6 in it in addition to the B12, and my B12 is still up at 1106, so I may be one of the lucky ones who doesn't really need to supplement my B12. Individual issues/questions:

- I previously started supplementing zinc in an effort to bring down the high copper (zinc wasn't low, but closer to the bottom of the range), but then my zinc shot up to the 120s and is now only 74 without changing my supplementation level. Since copper is still high, I'm thinking of upping my zinc dose.

- I'm at a loss as to how to bring the B6 down and am very open to any ideas. It's one of the ones we don't want to be too high in. I'm currently off of ALL B supplements - no B complex, and no sublingual.

- Since surgery, my B1 has bounced around from normal to low to high and now back to normal. Not really an issue, but I will keep an eye on it since I'm off all B supps for the B6.

- My ferritin has dropped from 49 to 26, but my iron is at 101. I currently take 2 Proferrin ES daily - maybe I should add another in an effort to boost the ferritin? My TIBC has been steadily increasing but is still within range - not sure what that indicates, just know it has something to do with iron!

- My PTH is up to 31 (highest it's ever been, but still only mid-normal range), calcium is 9.5, but I don't have my vit D results, so I don't have the full picture (they took more blood today to run the D since Quest's results said there was an "insufficient specimen" the first time).

- Protein is 7, which isn't low, yet my hair starts falling out again if I don't have protein shakes regularly. Anyone else have this issue? Thoughts?

Folate is still ">24," so good for trying to get pregnant   :)

Oh, and doc forgot to order a lipid panel, but I'm not too worried about it since my last total cholesterol was 102, and the only time my lipids have been out of whack is when my diabetes was uncontrolled, but that's certainly not the case now.
Laugh Out Loud
on 7/13/11 11:26 am
Not a lab guru but wanted to tell you what worked for me.  I switched out one of my multi-vitamin doses for a multi-mineral no iron and that brought my B6 down nicely.  Also, I thought Tender Iron brought up ferritin and poly-iron or Proferrin or NuIron brought up iron serum.  Hopefully someone in the know will set me straight on that.  Congrats on getting the diabetes under control!
Cindy
(deactivated member)
on 7/13/11 7:55 pm - Woodbridge, VA
You know, I just checked the bottle for my multi, and it does contain 1250% RDV of B6, and I take 2 of those per day. Does the multi-mineral have copper in it? I don't need any more of that! But maybe I should start checking out different multi options with less B6 at least...
vitalady
on 7/13/11 12:33 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Put the B12 back in. B1 needs to be held up, but not way high. Take them individually. B12 can help your ferritin. Tender Iron can build ferritin, too.

B6 yeah, leave it off, so leave off the Bplexes.

But don't toss the B12 or B1. B12, 1106 is just barely good enough, IMHO. B1, well, if you're building a nest, you'd want it on the upper end It does lots, but maybe can be the cutting edge between nausea or not

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/11 7:51 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I've been off of B12 completely since the fall. I'll have to get a different B12 to take since the liquid sublingual I have also has B6, which I don't want any more of. So, new shopping list:

- sublingual B12
- separate B1
- tender iron

Tender iron questions: that's the one you take 6 at a time, right? I've always kept my iron in a separate dose even though it was Proferrin, so should I stick the Proferrin with another dose (with calcium and multi) and just take the tenders separately with a vit C (I don't take vit C with the Proferrin, but I do have it in one of my other doses, so I'll just relocate it in the pill box!)? If I'm adding 6 tenders, should I keep doing 2 Proferrin?
Lisey
on 7/14/11 7:19 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I use Spring Valley B12 sublingual, bought at Walmart.  You can get it in 500mcg or 2500mcg (I would think you would want 500?).  Pretty cheap, no other B vites (or any vites) in it and tastes pretty good.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-200-Cherry-Microloze nges-500-Mcg-Ea.-B-12-Sublingual-Dots-Dietary-Supplement-200 -ct/11047689?adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

kirmy
on 7/14/11 11:50 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Wait! How many tender irons are you meant to take in one sitting? Did you say 6? I'm taking two......do I need to bump this up in a drastic way???

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
Lisey
on 7/14/11 7:23 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Are you still taking copper?  How many mg of copper do you take?  If your copper is actually high, you might want to skip it for awhile and then add it back in every other day while taking your zinc.  You can also suck on zinc lozenges, such as cold eze a couple times/day if you don't want to add in another zinc.  I don't know off hand where the 120's are in the zinc scale.  Not sure why it would fall back down without changing your dose - had you previously stopped copper when zinc went higher and started it again after awhile?

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/11 7:29 am - Woodbridge, VA
I have never supplemented copper, which is why it's strange to me that it's been high and doesn't seem to want to come down!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 553 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 944 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 322 views