On Going Gas issues

challie
on 7/14/11 6:43 am
Hey guys,

I am now about 8 months out.  My weight loss is going great.  I feel good.  I am looking much improved.  Everyone is noticing my weight loss.  I can eat a lot and eat well.  I love my DS.  I have just one persistent problem. 

I continue to have gas. It seems to be worsening.  In May I had to increase my protein supplementation, so I started having 2 or 3 protein drinks a day. This has been good in every regard, except that my gas has been steadily increasing.  It happens every evening starting around 5 pm to bedtime.  I usually get up in the middle of the night ( sometimes several times) to go to the bathroom, and then it is resolved until the next day.

This makes going out to evening events a trial, and my husband is not thrilled with the nightly expulsions (although he is very tolerant and supportive).

I did an elimination diet again recently and found that  the source of the problem is my protein drinks. 

I can eat almost anything and I will get a little gas but it is normal smelling and not that much. I even eliminated my probiotic in the last two weeks and I have found that it is still the protein only that causes a noticeable problem.

If I have my protein drinks (which are essential to keeping my protein levels up) I get terrible gas nightly.  I currently have three brands of protein, which I have tried independently and in combination and they all cause the problem.  I have used the Champion Whey stack (Cookies and Cream and Banana Scream), the Syntrax Nectars (Peach and Caribbean Cooler) and the Allmax Isonatural (Unflavoured) powders.  I use these because to me they have the best taste.

I have tried soy brands in the past and they have given me even more gas and tasted awful.

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for egg based protein shake brands and also if there is anything I could take prior to having a protein drink that would help to digest the protein and produce less gas.  Also, is it better to take smaller doses at a time to avoid the gas? Does anyone have any other suggestions that might help with this problem?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Challie

beemerbeeper
on 7/14/11 6:59 am - AL
Whey protein gives me gas also.  I take it anyway but only if I am going to be home in the evening. 

You can try JRobb egg protein.  You could also add an antibiotic to your regimin:  flagyl (fish zole) works wonders if you are willing to take it.  I can eat FLOUR (gasp) when I am taking it.

I've wondered if I would get gas from protein bars if I used them instead of shakes and am going to try that. 

Let us know what you try and how it works.  We can't be the only ones.

~Becky

challie
on 7/14/11 9:29 am
Thanks, I think I will try the JRobb egg protein. 

Do you find that if you have your protein drinks late in the day that the gas occurs during the night and is gone by morning?  If so, that might be the best option. 

I am just afraid that if I have them too late, that they might cause gas in the morning or during the day which is not acceptable.

beemerbeeper
on 7/14/11 11:52 am - AL
I "eat" my protein shakes and I have them spread out throughout the day.  I know if I don't eat them at all I am MUCH less gassy, but I've never  tried just morning, or afternoon, or late.

~Becky

twodelight
on 7/14/11 7:10 am - Atlanta, GA
I swear the same thing gas happened to me. All last week I up my protein shakes and it gave me the gas from hell. This week I just ate more protein and gave myself a break from all that gas and I feel so much better. I am 10 months out and have noticed the same thing. I hope someone shines a light on this issue too. I didn't realize whey gave us problems like that.
challie
on 7/14/11 9:30 am
At least I'm not alone.  Hope we figure out how to avoid this :)

Anna G.
on 7/14/11 7:32 am
You're far enough out that you shouldn't have to be supplementing with protein drinks at all. I would just eliminate them since the ones that you like are giving you problems. When the answer to the problem is "more bacon", is there really a problem? LOL

Sorry for being flippant, but hey, more bacon.

Blank Out
on 7/14/11 7:35 am
 LOL Anna!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

challie
on 7/14/11 9:23 am
That is ideally what I would love to do, but based on my last labs, my protein and albumin were low and my surgeon recommended that I add three protein drinks per day. 

Of course, that was almost 3 months ago so I may be able to eat more protein now.  I may try this suggestion depending on how my 9 month labs look next month.

Challie

Blank Out
on 7/14/11 7:35 am
 I find that taking a probiotic 3-4 times a day really helps!  

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 311 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 776 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views