Poo question

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/11 1:20 pm - Beverly, NJ

Did you roll your eyes when you read the title?  I know theres tons of poo questions on here and I searched the best I could but I still have a question....

I'm so uncomfortable.  Ever since I took my first round (meaning first day of) of iron today I feel like theres a brick in my belly.  I'm not in pain just like I'm full.  Even when I eat or drink I can feel it back up into my throat a little bit.   I have passed gas (which feels soooo good to do), I've burped and my pee is a pretty light yellow (right on target for fluid intake) but I had my first weird poo.  Normally my poo is watery, yellow/orange, kinda like a babies poo.  Remember I'm only on a full liquid diet with limited mushies.  But tonight when I was finally able to go it was a grey/green color and thicker than normal.  I was only able to find one post that addressed this as an Iron issue.  Everything else I've read about poo that could be defined as tarry mentioned an obstruction, but I'm not in any pain.

Any idea's?  Is this normal?

Kayla B.
on 7/22/11 1:46 pm - Austin, TX
This has happened to me, too.  Sometimes I even think it smells kinda metallic.

What iron are you taking?  Can you half the dose and work yourself up?  And take some stool softeners, too, maybe?  I think colace is the easiest to take, but milk of magnesia and miralax are great too.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/11 11:30 pm - Beverly, NJ
I'm taking the BA's chewable iron although I promise you one more day of this and I'm switching to Vitaladays tender iron.  I am also cutting the dose in half today so we'll see.  Yesterday all I had in my system was iron, protein and my ADEK. My stomach must hate me at this point.  I'm not hungry so I'm eating very little if anything at all but I am drinking all my fluids and getting in protein.  I'm also going to pick up some colace today to have on hand although last night into this morning my body worked out the stool kinks of being constipated.  lol
KarenFlorida
on 7/22/11 11:16 pm - Orlando, FL
Hey Vanishing mom

Your poo (both pre- and post- iron) sounds a lot like mine was/is! I think the color change is normal.

The stomach symptoms...I had that too. I was burping a horrible tasting burp every 5-10 minutes for hours. I told someone I felt like I had swallowed a bag of hot nickels! I'm not tolerating the iron too well, so I might be switching to the proferrin.

Karen
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/11 11:38 pm - Beverly, NJ
I might be switching to Vitaladys I think this BA is too much for my tummy.
NoreenRT
on 7/22/11 11:27 pm - Warner Robins, GA
no eye rolling here.  i think poo is one of the board's favorite topics.  poo and food.  doesn't get any better than that.  lol 
sorry you are feeling like there's a brick in your tummy. the iron can definitely change the color of your poo.  i remember the first time i saw green poo.  i freaked.  thought something had gone wrong w/ my surgery.  no worries.
i too get horrible "iron burps" .  one solution that someone here gave me:  i take my iron pill in the middle of the night when i wake up to pee.  if i burp in my sleep, i don't know it.  can a person burp in their sleep?  dunno.
wish i had some suggestions on the bricked up feeling.  i know lots of ppl on this board have talked about iron stopping them up. hopefully someone will stop by and help you with that portion.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

Angelina H.
on 7/23/11 1:19 am
I put a ditto on what Noreen said.

You are so new out of the gate that your stomach tolerances and taste for foods etc... will change over the next two years.

When you make a change on the iron, give it a solid couple weeks for your body to adjust. 

It will I promise.

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/11 5:49 am - Beverly, NJ
Thanks for all the ideas :)  I might try taking it at night since if I'm sleeping the discomfort won't matter s much :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 354 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 813 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views