VitaLady or anyone familiar with Acutain and Vitamin's (specifcally vit A)

sweetdew
on 7/22/11 8:34 am - CA
OK, so i had Chronic adult acne way before my DS surgery. However, it had gotten worse since surgery, probably due to all the hormonal changes going on with me. I have tried EVERYTHING including Zinc etc and all the topical things that could be taken.

My dermatologist just diagnosed me with Rosasea and is putting me on a LOW dose of Acutaine (Claravis) for up to 5 months.

IT STATES ON THE PACKAGE WARNINGS:
DO NOT TAKE VITAMINS OR OTHER SUPPLEMENTS THAT CONTAIN VITAMIN "A"

Have any of you dealt with this issue of problem? I will have to not take my vit A and look to see if my multi has vit A in it also. (not at home right now to look at the listed Vite's on the multi)

Guidance please? It will be for 5 months.

Thanks so much, Shireen
Sweetdew
2005-Revision from Lap-band to RNY, 12/2010 Revision from RNY to DS
HW-305  DS,SW-262  CW-slowly going down  GW-140/160

vitalady
on 7/22/11 8:58 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I would not swap my A for any rx.

Did you try metroCREAM? The metrogel is usually rx, but gel is very drying, alcohol based. The cream is well absorbed, not oily, not dry.

I use Septra (same as Bactrim-a sulfa drug) for the internal treatment, and take a low dose daily. This one, though, blocks folic, so I take a higher than usual dose of folic to hold the line.

Accutain scares me. I've read of it.

I also take Clindamycin (lotion, also well absorbed, not oily or dry, and usually given in gel) topical for another skin thing and even topical, IT blocks vit K, so I have to be mindful of that.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

sweetdew
on 7/22/11 9:27 am - CA
Thank you! So much!
Sweetdew

MajorMom
on 7/22/11 9:07 am, edited 7/22/11 9:08 am - VA

I hope Vitalady will chime in. I'm thinking they are just trying to ensure folks who take this don't take more vitamin A and become toxic. 

I just looked the drug up and read the warnings. www.drugs.com/mtm/claravis.html  Sounds like some scary stuff with all the warnings. How it would affect DSrs? I dunno. 

--gina

ETA: Oops, there she is. We must have been typing at the same time.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

sweetdew
on 7/22/11 3:02 pm - CA
THX Gina!
Sweetdew

zuzupetals2u2
on 7/22/11 1:08 pm - Sedona, AZ
My therapist has roseasea and says the ONLY thing that works for it is laser surgery which she has had a couple times. I remember how brutal accutane was for my Mom for her cancer and also a girlfriend who did it for acne. I don't know about the Vit A but both people I know had a horrible time on it. I;d check out the laser solution myself.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

sweetdew
on 7/22/11 3:01 pm - CA
Thank you guys! I am not going to take it. Supposedly, it is harmful to women who COULD become pregnant. I am not a candidate for that. But , i "hear" what you guys are saying and have decided not to take it. I will try further solutions.

Again, thanks for the feedback. For real!
Sweetdew

Jennifer D.
on 7/22/11 2:21 pm
Accutane has been known to cause Crohn's Disease in some people. I was just thinking that we are already susceptible to loose stools - could Accutane further aggravate that? I need an acne cure but would not touch Accutane for the world.
sweetdew
on 7/22/11 3:02 pm - CA
Thank you, my above statememt applies to you too!
Sweetdew

Jennifer D.
on 7/23/11 8:37 am
Please let us know if you find something that works for you.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 357 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 815 views
Need help for my mom