Very interesting video on vitamin K !!!

scubadiva
on 7/24/11 1:01 am

This video is about 20 mins long but I thought it was so interesting.  I did order 3 months supply of Osteo-K.  The research behind the product seemed very legit.   I want to keep my bones and will do anything possible on my end to prevent that.  Check out this video!   It comes in a "dry" form.  My order came in a few days ago.  It is pricey but... I want to do everything I can, so I hope it is worth the cost in the end.

http://www.nbihealth.com/osteok_flash/

scubadiva
on 7/24/11 1:06 am
http://www.montanaim.com/presentations/Neustadt_Osteoporosis _AANP_FINAL.pdf  

In written form...  I hope it is not just advertising for the product.  I don't think it is though...
scubadiva
on 7/24/11 1:23 am
Osteo-K contains a 45 mg of MK4™, also called MK-4™, menaquinone-4 and menatetrenone. MK4 is a form of Vitamin K2. The Archives of Internal Medicine confirms that 45 mg of MK4™ daily can decrease the risk of vertebral fractures by 60%, hip fractures by 71% and all nonvertebral fractures by 81%.

Calcium and vitamin D decrease how fast people lose bone minerals; however, vitamin K2 in the amounts found in Osteo-K have been shown to actually increase bone mineral density and decrease fracture risk.

Don't be fooled by other bone health formulas that contain vitamin K. Only Osteo-K contains the amount and form used in clinical trials--45 milligrams (nearly all other formulas contain much smaller amounts, measured in micrograms, which can be hundreds of times less than what's in Osteo-K). And other products contain MK7, another form of vitamin K, but which has never been shown in clinical trials to reduce fractures. Only MK4 reduces fractures. MK4 (45 mg daily) is so effective that it's been an approved by the Ministry of Health in Japan since 1995 for the treatment of osteoporosis.

MK4 (45 mg/d) alone and in combination with vitamin D3 and calcium matches or exceeds the benefits in clinical trials of Fosamax, Actonel and Boniva without the dangerous side effects.

MK4 exerts a powerful influence on promoting bone health and is one of the most frequently prescribed nutrients in Japan for growing strong bones and decreasing fractures. MK4 is a fat soluble vitamin that is a coenzyme for a vitamin K-dependent carboxylase enzyme catalyzing the carboxylation of the amino acid, glutamic acid, resulting in its conversion to gamma-carboxyglutamic acid (Gla).

Although vitamin K-dependent gamma-carboxylation occurs only on specific glutamic acid residues in a small number of proteins, it is critical to the calcium-binding function of those proteins. Three vitamin-K dependent proteins have been isolated in bone. Osteocalcin is a protein synthesized by osteoblasts (bone forming cells). The synthesis of osteocalcin by osteoblasts is regulated by the active form of vitamin D, 1,25(OH)2D3 or calcitriol. The mineral-binding capacity of osteocalcin requires vitamin K-dependent gamma-carboxylation of three glutamic acid residues.

Matrix Gla protein (MGP) has been found in bone, cartilage, and soft tissue, including blood vessels. The results of animal studies suggest MGP prevents the calcification of soft tissue and cartilage, while facilitating normal bone growth and development.

Vitamin D3, the active form of vitamin D, is involved in many physiological processes. It increases calcium absorption, and has been shown in clinical trials alone and in combination with MK4 and calcium, to reduce fracture risk in osteoporosis.

Calcium is essential for bones and teeth, heart, nerves, muscles, and blood clotting. About 99% of the calcium in the body is found in bones and teeth, while the other 1% is found in the blood and soft tissue. Calcium supplementation has been shown in clinical trials to increase bone mineral density. Providing supplemental calcium is the standard of care for people with low bone mineral density.

SAFETY: From a large number of clinical trials using dosages in excess of 40 mg/day, there were no reports of side effects associated with any type of hypercoagulable (increased blood clotting) state. Both animal and clinical studies support the conclusion that vitamin K2 has no dangerous effects on blood clotting. However, it should be noted that the anticoagulant effect of warfarin, functioning by its interference with the clotting effect of vitamin K, can be offset with as little as 1 mg of vitamin K. If you are on anticoagulant therapy (e.g., taking warfarin), you should not take Osteo-K. For everyone else, Osteo-K is safe.

Directions: Take three capsules twice daily with food.

References
  More than forty citations support the ingredients in Osteo-K for bone and cardiovascular health.

Panda ..
on 7/24/11 1:58 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 361 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 820 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views