Fasting in Ramadan

LovableLynn
on 8/1/11 8:17 pm - Qatar
Not sure how many muslim DS'ers are out there so for those who are I wish you a Happy Ramadan!!!

As Ramadan is a month of fasting for Muslims, I need advice regarding my DS.

I am just a few days short of being 4 weeks post op and I am seriously questioning if fasting will harm me at this point. I am managing to get all my vitamins in but I am nowhere near to get enough protein or water after I break my fast in the evening.

From an Islamic point of view, if fasting will harm me physically then I am not obliged to fast.

Mentally I am feeling fine... I am not hungry nor thirsty  while fasting but the acid reflux has been bothering me alot.

I know this may not be an easy subject to address but I figured I had nothing to lose by trying just in case somebody could give me some advice.

Many thanks to all
Lynn

HW 175 KG (385 lbs) - then banded in 2008 - DS journey HW 146 KG (322 lbs)

CW 81 KG (179 lbs) - GW 79.5 KG (175 lbs)

newyorkbitch
on 8/1/11 8:59 pm
Do not fast.  You are not nearly ready to do that.  You will definitely harm yourself.

Are you taking medication for the reflux?
Renfairewench
on 8/1/11 10:21 pm, edited 8/1/11 10:21 pm
I have to agree with NY***** I would not fast at this point. You need to stay hydrated, but more important you need the protein and you need it throughout the day. At this point your body is still adjusting to the DS not to mention healing and you heal when your body has enough protein, but if you wait until sundown to break the fast there is no way you will be able to get all your protein in. I am assuming that you are working on getting a minimum of 30 to 60 grams of protein in a day right now?

I think that fasting during the day at this point would be harmful.

As for the reflux, you should probably be taking a PPI such as Nexium or something like that.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

LosingSally
on 8/1/11 10:27 pm
Ramadhan Mubarak!
It's very hot in Qatar at this time. My husband was born there. For you, fasting will be an issue because of the water. You need fluids, as for food, you can always eat in the night. No law says food must be eaten in daylight.
Skip this year, feed some needy people instead, and make it up after you're stable and at goal.
Best wishes,
Sally
AllieInOntario
on 8/1/11 10:41 pm
Lynn, I would skip the fast.  Your body is still trying to figure out what it's supposed to be doing.  Since it's not obligatory, and you're getting reflux, your job is to keep your body healthy.  I find my own stomach is happiest when I put something in every 2 hours  - something that's come on in the last few weeks - you need to learn what your own body is telling you - fasting is going to be  counter productive to that.
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

Shavonne P.
on 8/1/11 10:47 pm
I agree with the above posters.  I would skip the fast this year.
Nothing feels better than being able to go into ANY store and fit their clothes!
LovableLynn
on 8/1/11 11:59 pm - Qatar
Thank you all for the valuable advice. Deep down I knew what was the right thing to do but as Ramadan is such a special time, I tried my best to fast.... just right now my body is not ready. I will make up the missed fasting days when my new baby stomach is completely healed.

Some of you may wonder why I didn't consult a doctor... well I did....and all I was told.... Try and see how you feel... no suprise in this country as my DS follow up will be up to me and me only. I was given the surgery and after my first post op appt was basically told bye bye... here is a prn order... call us only if you need something.

Again thank you for your support....I love my DS family

Elizabeth N.
on 8/2/11 12:05 am - Burlington County, NJ
It is MUCH too soon to fast. By next year it will be a whole different story, assuming you continue to have a normal recovery. 

We do have a number of Muslim members here, so hopefully you will get responses soon from folks who have BTDT. But four weeks out is NOT safe at all to fast. You are risking your life.

RainyDayWoman
on 8/2/11 2:24 am - Fridley, MN
Assalaamu alaykum,

I'm Muslim too and you just cannot fast yet!  I have yet to fast a full Ramadan since surgery because I was either too close to surgery, too hypoglycemic, and then last year I was pregnant.  This year I'm nursing so I'll attempt to fast next year.  By that point I'll be almost four years out from surgery, but I'm still not convinced I can fast 100%, especially during these hard summer Ramadans.

There are a few other Muslims on the board and I know at least one has been successful in fasting after DS, but he was about a year out when he was able to do this. 

Right now you need to be sipping water pretty much every few minutes all day long and attempting to eat even though you are not hungry.  Just praying tarawih is plenty for you this year - no need to participate in olympic fasting just yet! 

Umm Zaki
LovableLynn
on 8/3/11 2:56 pm - Qatar
Again I thank you all for guiding me in the right direction... but I must admit... I will have to be a closet eater this month as alot of people just do not understand this surgery and do not understand why I am not fasting.... for some the idea is... if you are not dying you should be fasting even though the religion itself states it is a sin to fast if you are going to harm your health.

I did not fast yesterday and what a world of difference it made to how I felt... so after having a good day with no acid reflux my husband insisted that I should at least try to fast every day. After trying to explain to him why I shouldn't I decided to just give up and not tell him I am not fasting... or I will tell him I tried but the acid was so bad I had to eat something.

Wishing you all the best!!!
Lynn

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1080 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1247 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 510 views