What foods do you miss after the DS? Any substitutions?

no_more_rolls
on 9/11/11 7:56 am - Jackson, MI
 I'm a little over 2 months out and I am LOVING my DS.  That said, now that I am beginning to add more variety to my diet I am finding there are some foods that I miss.  I refuse to eat these items because:

1.)  I do not want it to slow my weight loss
2.)  I do not want to feel it's "okay" to eat these items occasionally
3.)  I do not want the digestive issues that may be associated with these foods.

Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, what do you do?  Do you just eat it or do you find a healthier alternative?  If you find an alternative,  are you satisfied with it?  Examples would be great!

For example I really wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  I was lucky to eat these once a year pre-op...but I had that craving.  I used a low carb lavash wrap (3 net carbs), a teaspoon of sugar free jelly with fiber (2 net carbs), and 2 tablespoons of a natural peanut butter (4 net carbs) to make a sandwich.  It was not as satisfying  as the real thing but took the "edge" off.  It had more carbs in it than I would normally eat in one sitting...so I paid for it later.  
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Heres2anewme
on 9/11/11 8:18 am - TX
I hope I don't sound like a total loser but I am just shy of 9 months out and I eat almost everything I did pre-op. Unfortunately I used to dine on chips, chocolate and soda which is how I made my way into the obesity club. I don't really like chocolate since my surgery, I have an occoassional soda and chips every now and then. It's definitely not a daily thing like it used to be. I don't eat a lot of carbs at all. I think what I've changed most about my diet since having the DS is the quantity of what I eat, the order in which I eat (protein first) and the length of time it takes me to eat. I don't really have a list of no-nos. At 9 months out I'd definitely have a pb&j if I craved it though.
Jamille            ~If it's God's will for me, then it will be~
                                            I Being A Mommy!!

Mdae
on 9/11/11 8:31 am
i love crusty, buttery, garlic/parmesan bread.  i still have it from time to time, but not as much as i'd like. 

Elizabeth N.
on 9/11/11 8:36 am - Burlington County, NJ

No, there's really nothing I miss.

Well, once in a while I "forget" what the few truly awful foods will do to me. But the reminder then suffices for quite some time. See the evil huckleberry milkshake.

Imissthe80s
on 9/14/11 1:13 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
What's the deal with this evil huckleberry milkshake you are always referencing? I must have missed that saga.  Inquiring minds want to know, but if you don't wish to retell, that's fine.

Elizabeth N.
on 9/14/11 5:28 am - Burlington County, NJ
It was at the Montana Folk Festival. www.mtfolkfestival.com . A vendor was selling torture in a glass in the form of a huckleberry milkshake. I ordered it thinking it would be made from Wilcoxson's huckleberry ice cream, which is a safe food for me. Nope. It was made from soft serve mix and a very marvelous made-from-scratch huckleberry syrup (with whole berries).

I looked at the soft serve and thought oh **** But by then my taste buds were tickled and good sense went out the window. I imbibed and it was delightful.

I carried my torture in a glass to a performance I'd been anticipating for weeks. About the time performance started, so did my stomach. OH MY the expansion and the noise. I held out as long as I could, but eventually it became clear that an emergency was brewing.

I was, of course, sitting in about the third row, center aisle. So I made my way down the pathway, clenching certain muscles like my life depended on it and praying I'd be able to contain the impending megafart till I got past the people sitting on the ground. Um, not entirely.

The gut uproar went to my head as well and I nearly fainted. I caught a ride down to the parking lot and headed for the nearest real restroom (not portapotty), which was at a CVS.

In I went to the THANK HEAVENS one seater and camped for a very long time. The emanations were truly epic in all ways you can imagine. I dared not so much as stand and stretch for about 45 minutes.

At lonnnnnnnng last I was sufficiently recovered to venture out of the little room. We were, of course, far past anything my trusty always-present bottle of essential oil and can of Ozium could help. The soundproofing had been tested to its limits and beyond as well.

A man had been hanging out near the front of the store when I came in, presumably waiting for a prescription (or maybe he was a store detective, I dunno), and he was still there when I came out, browsing through the magazine rack. He glanced in my direction and then very quickly back to the rack....but not before a look of shock and disbelief passed over his face.

Possessed as I am by a rather odd sense of humor, his expression struck me funny and I could not contain my giggles. I guess it was some kind of self preservation thing on my part....I wanted to sink into the ground and die of embarrassment, but since that wasn't an option, hey, find a joke in it all, right?

And THAT is the story of the evil huckleberry milkshake. I knew better than to drink something made from soft serve mix and deserved every bit of it. Maybe now that lesson will stick a little longer than a year or so at a time :-).

Imissthe80s
on 9/14/11 7:33 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Wow! This truly made my afternoon.  I can always count on you, EN!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/14/11 4:00 am
What is this about an evil huckleberry milkshake???
And please tell me its the PURPLE huckleberries that only grow at higher elevations, not the gross red ones that grow here at sea level. 

Please tell me how evil this milkshake be. And slowly.

Elizabeth N.
on 9/14/11 5:32 am - Burlington County, NJ
Oh yes, it's the REAL huckleberries, not those red low-elevation imposters. I wouldn't let such a berry pass my lips under any cir****tances. They insult the name of huckleberry.

I feel that way about farmed "gooseberries," too. BLECH. REAL gooseberries grow by high altitude waterways, are a pain in the ass to pick, require zillions of skeeter bites and several bleeding thorn wounds to acquire. And they are worth every bit of suffering to get them.

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 8:40 am, edited 9/11/11 8:48 am - San Jose, CA

Battered and deep fried onions.  I don't know why = I can eat onions and deep fried OTHER things with only minor repercussions, but the combo - onion rings or bloomin' onion - is just lethal to me.  Not just gas - the most horrendous evil smelling gas, and in HUGE, doubled-over-in-agony quantities.

There simply is no substitute for hot, crispy battered onion rings, with or without tangy dip.  :sadface:

Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 20 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 20 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1093 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1269 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 519 views