pomegrantes?

litebrite
on 9/30/11 2:17 am - Telford, PA
Ok, I LOVE pomegrantes.  So here is where I need some help.  I am not that far out but heard they freeze well.  The season for them is so short.  I was hoping I could have them.  So here is my confusion, I know fruits should be VERY limited because of carbs.

I then was so confused my posts about popcorn.  Never thought I would eat that.  I read where someone said the fiber out weighs the carbs???  Of course, popcorn should be a single serving size too.

Ok well anyway, I was looking at the nutritional information for pomegrate arvils.  I know they are supposed to be good.  It says a serving is 24% of daily fiber.  However, are they good for DS'ers (further out), of course, in small portions.

http://www.pomwonderful.com/products/freshfruit/pom-wonderful-arils/

THANK YOU for any help!!!!
DS on 8/15/11

MsBatt
on 9/30/11 3:27 am
Well, *I* eat them occassionally, but I have no idea if they're 'good' for me or not.

Why did you think you'd never eat popcorn???
"Just Elizabeth "
on 9/30/11 3:29 am - Houston, TX
I can't answer your question but I did have to post this recipe since you brought up pomegranates. I had this in Kuwait. I don't like liver (any liver) but this was amazing.

http://syrianfoodie.blogspot.com/2009/09/one-hundred-and-one -mezze-9-chicken.html

One Hundred and One Mezze: 9. Chicken Liver with Pomegranate Molasses  
This dish is a favourite of mine. It has two of my favourite ingredients chicken livers and pomegranate molasses. It is a great dish for people who are not so sure about liver, the sweets and sour pomegranate molasses takes away the edge of liver flavour (still, if you never ever tried liver before you might want to start with something less "anatomical" like pate).
I came across this dish in couple of Syrian/Lebanese restaurants in London. I adjusted the recipe a bit by adding a splash of red wine and some butter towards the end to make the sauce thick and glossy.
Here is my recipe:
Chicken liver 250g Pomegranate molasses 2tbs Ghee clarified butter 1tbs Salt Black pepper Red wine 100mls Butter
Start by frying the livers in the clarified butter. Once they brown form the out side add the molasses and red wine. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till the livers are cooked the way you like them. I like mine just done as over cooking make them tough.
Once the livers are done remove from the pan and reduce the sauce to a quarter. Check the seasoning then add a knob of cold butter to the pan and stir in the sauce. Pour on top of the liver and eat with Arabic bread or griddled sliced bread

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

litebrite
on 9/30/11 4:54 am - Telford, PA
Msbatt,

I thought no popcorn because I assumed it was high in carbs.  Also, with butter and salt (the stuff that makes it yummy), I assumed not good.  My booklet from MD states low fat, carbs, etc.  I, of course, have since learned from this board that low fat is BS and the booklet is really made for other surgeries.  I have also learned not to assume and read labels :) 

Anyone eat the arvils?
DS on 8/15/11

litebrite
on 9/30/11 4:55 am - Telford, PA
Just Elizabeth,

I am not sure I could eat liver.  Maybe the sauce would be good on chicken, lol.  Thanks for sharing it!!
DS on 8/15/11

Kayla B.
on 9/30/11 5:23 am - Austin, TX
OK...few things to address in this thread:

1. You do not have to avoid fats after the DS for health reasons.  There have been fecal fat testing done on DSers and we malabsorb around 80% of the fat we eat...some people even more than that.  Sooo...in order to absorb even 50g of fat, which is a pretty low fat diet...we'd have to eat 200grams!  So butter...not that big of a difference.  'Course...not the greatest fat source, still saturated, etc, but you'll be absorbing so little of it that it really is not likely to matter.

You may, of course, avoid fat if you find it causes GI upset.

Ok, Next!

2. Popcorn doesn't have a tonnnn of carbs.  One of those mini bags will set you back around ~20-25 carbs, with 2-3 grams of fiber.  And that's if you eat the whole bag (heh...I do!)

3.  No, fiber doesn't cancel out carbs.  Ok, it KINDA does, but not to the extent which it might sound.  Fiber IS a carb, and the total carb count on a package includes fiber, so you can cancel out however many carbs on the package are fiber.  So, 10g total carbs and 2 g fiber could be counted as about 8 net carbs.

4.  We talk about food a lot on here.  From cheesecake to candy to reese's.  We're a bunch that likes food and we celebrate the ability to have a forgiving metabolism after the DS by eating treats and talking about it.  It doesn't necessarily indicate the foods are great for us or not...they just are what they are and treats are allowed, absolutely.

5.  Lots of people like popcorn as a treat because it is a whole grain that is unlikely to cause stomach upset (like wheat products may).  Also, many people find the extra butter and fat to just sliiiide on through and cause a nice healthy poop.   And people around here like to poop.

Pomegranates: Sure, why not.

I wouldn't consider a pomegranate vender to be the most reliable source of information about pomegranates, but if you enjoy them, there is no reason to cut them out of your life.  Eat your protein, and eat promegranates after you've done so.

"Good for a DSer" = who knows?  We malabsorb a lot so any vitamin or mineral benefit might be moot...that's why we take vitamins.

Just know that fruit is sugar, and all that comes along with it and you'll be fine.

Hope that helps.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1082 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1259 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 512 views