can i drop folic acid supplement when i start taking Proferrin Forte?

Twi light
on 10/2/11 2:48 am, edited 10/2/11 2:50 am - NY
I take 1600mcg of folic acid (800, 2 times a day)

The proferrin has 1 mg of Foic acid ...

Any reason to keep taking the Folic acid supplement once the proferrin is started? 

MajorMom
on 10/2/11 4:43 am - VA
You could probably stop the sublingual folic acid if you start Proferrin Forte. Jus****ch your labs.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 7:18 am

Your nutrient (vitamin) intake depends on what your labs say.

Discuss a trial of what you're describing with your doctor, and watch your labs.  If you start seeing a downward trend, tweak your folic acid to work with the Proferrin Forte.  1mg per dose seems awfully low to me, taking malabsorption into consideration.

I 've never had an iron problem...my iron actually runs high, even without iron supplementation.   I'm not sure why, but it's not causing a problem.
rbb825
on 10/3/11 6:16 pm - Suffern, NY
You just have to be careful when you take too much folic acid - more than 1.2 mg per day  - you can mask a B12 deficiency. You might want to ask vitalady for a better explaination and the proper testing to determine how you find out - I know there is a specific test that you need but I dont' remember what it is at the moment.

P. Poster
on 10/3/11 9:00 pm
 I was able to stop the Folic Acid once I started the Proferrin, but I waited until I had my first lab draw about a month out to make sure.  And then rechecked it 6 weeks after D/Cing the Folic.  My labs have stayed nice, but everyone is different.  You can try it, and just keep an eye on your labs.  Just have the Folic rechecked a few weeks out from stopping to see how you fare.
vitalady
on 10/9/11 10:25 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
how many proferrin are you taking?

are you building a baby nest?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 326 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 785 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 262 views