Oh ****! It fits!!! Must buy.

ModestoK
on 10/6/11 10:00 am
I'm seriously wondering if I'm starting to get some cross addiction action with my thrift shopping habit.  Now that I can actually fit into clothes at the thrift stores, I find myself wanting to go weekly.   I have lots of new (to me) things and my weight has stabalized the last couple of months.  Or stalled - that's what I'm hoping because I want to lose at least another 25 pounds.

I am still so overwhelmed at actually finding clothes that fit, I want to buy lots of them.  I guess it is a throwback to being super-sized and being happy when I found anything that didn't make me look like Mrs. Roper from Three's Company.    Right now I'm in 14's and 12 pants and large tops but despite the lack of pound loss I do still seem to be shrinking.
I also do need clothes for the winter in my new size but damn, my bank account is hurting despite my buying most clothes on the cheap.  Zooming down from a 22 to a 12/14 in 8 months has been awesome but expensive - even my saved skinny clothes are now too big.

For you vets - how long did it take for you to get used to being able to go in anywhere and find things to fit your new body?    Did any of you experience these feelings?  Inquiring minds want to know.
Kim

P.S. - also wanted to ask the vets - I am totally normal to have had my weight loss slow to a crawl, right?  Once we get closer to goal, our monthly losses slow way, way down from what I've observed in others but of course the negative voices in my head tell me that I'm a freak and won't lose anymore.   Crazy time in my brainpan!
                                      ~  Kim  ~

HW - 283        SW - 257.5     Goal - 156
Thanks to all the DS vets who have paid it forward - I <3 you guys!  
Looking for DS support & information?   Check out :     http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

beemerbeeper
on 10/6/11 10:11 am - AL
I think you can keep the weight loss moving if you really keep the carbs low, the protein high and the fluids way up there.  If you are letting carbs sneak in (sneaky *******s that they are) your weight loss will slow down.

So my advice is to work your window.  Hard.  And get to and below goal and then let the carbs back in (carefully).

And shopping?  Yeah.  Fun.

~Becky

ModestoK
on 10/6/11 10:40 am
Becky -
   Of course you are spot on.  The evil carbs have been slipping in.  I haven't gone totally crazy, but am finding that keeping them under 50 grams is much tougher than it was early on.
******* carbs!  Why must you be so tasty~

As for protein - I get in at least 120 grams daily and shoot for 150+.  I do drink at least 64 oz water or crystal light in addition to shakes, and usually more, so that is on par with what I need. 

I've slacked off exercise the last 8 weeks because of a hip injury followed by sciatia pain.  Guess it is time to get my butt back to the gym.

Thanks for your support!  I do appreciate all you skinny minnies have to share.

K.
yorkieGal
on 10/6/11 10:47 am - Clermont, FL
Hey K, it took me at least 2 yrs to really accept that this was my size now....sometimes I still think I am larger than I am and am continuously suprised when people call me "skinny" - wtf?? me? really?

I can;t tell you how weird it still it is that I can wear the same clothes for more than one season...last years winter clothes still fit me wtf??

Anyway, as for carbs, you've got to keep them low, protein high and make sure there is enough fat in our diet. not enough fat means I don't poop so often, less pooping means less weight loss for me!!

you'll get there in the end, be patient with yourself and as for the shopping, only you can tell if its just a matter of fun shopping for your new body or whether the shopping has crossed the line and is becoming a fully fledged transfer addiction. Watch out for signs like hiding the shopping, a thrill when you are on your way shopping, justifying purchases etc. Its not uncommon and can be dealt with.

lots of hugs,

yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Tabitha70
on 10/6/11 11:09 am
happy when I found anything that didn't make me look like Mrs. Roper from Three's Company. 

You created a great word-picture there!

I can't help with the clothes shopping question...I'm so freaking tall that I *still* can't shop hardly anywhere because nothing fits! (I'm trying to work through this myself, it's hard to read everyone's posts about how great it is to shop anywhere when after 225 lbs lost, I still have to resort to online shopping for the most part)

It is normal for your weightloss to slow down, don't stress about that. Just keep your carbs in check and do everything else you've been doing.  I'm sorry you're having sciatica pain, hope it resolves soon.

*************************************************************************************

RNY 11/00
with starting BMI of 57. Most lost was 52% EWL and BMI of 41.
Gained back every single pound.
Revision to DS 12/08 with starting BMI of 57 (again)
Over 3 years DS post-op, currently BMI of 26.3 
200lbs. gone as of 6/27/10 !!  I'm HALF of the old me as of 10/8/10 !! ONEderland 3/7/11 !!

LadyDi1970 and I are Angel buddies! 

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 12:20 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
I shopped Goodwill/Salvation Army LOTS.  I counted one day and realized I had 60 (SIXTY) blouses.
Thats more blouses than I could wear. 

It's all too easy to fall into that trap.  Pay attention.

Good luck!!  
KathyA999
on 10/6/11 12:31 pm
You have SO hit the nail on the head.  I'm in "Somebody STOP me!" mode, LOL! 

Back in the bad ole days, like you I would buy stuff if it looked halfway decent, and if it came in several colors, I would get them all.  These days I wear anything from a 6 to a 12, and just about everything looks good, although I'm much much pickier about fit these days.  How on earth do I decide what to get?  Well, most of the time these days, I tend to want to get everything.  So I try to limit my actual shopping, just to ease up on the wallet.

BTW, a size range from 6 to 12 is just insane.  WTF is going on with clothing sizes these days?  I have a pencil skirt that's 17 years old (last time I lost weight), and it's a size 14.  It's just a tad too big, so I would be a solid 12 if it was 1994.  I'm scared to buy stuff online, no idea how things will fit, except for QVC, which gives actual garment measurements.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/11 3:10 am, edited 10/7/11 3:12 am
Kim-

My entire new wardrobe came from/is coming from Salvation Army, Goodwill and St. Vincent DePaul. Shoes included, which I'm now in a B or C width, down from WW.  I put all my fat clothes  and wearable shoes on consignment ( I had some pretty top flight labels), to get rid of them, and have money to buy cothes in my new sizes.

I have always loved to shop,  I do get a thrill, but I don't shop to entertain myself. It's a thrill to be able to fit into size 14-16 petitie pants (My legs are short), from tight 3-32 cotton knit, and even some of those were too small!  Some of my earlier post-op pieces are now too big, so I simply put them on consignment as well.  If you have too much of something, and you have a good, fair dealing consignment shop where you live, by all means, make use of it, and put the money you'll make on clothes you can't wear, towards clothing in your new size.

You could have a transfer addiction, but I think many of us just feel glee at being able to pick out a size, eyeball it, and know whether or not it will fit.  When shopping begins to interfere with your life, job, family -  then it's time to seek therapy.

Your weight loss will slow down the further out you get, as your metabolism gets used to your new configuration.  If you're a true DSer, a "carb jolt" could wake it up.   Eat high carb (over 50 grams) for one day, then go back to your regular eating plan.  I'm almost 3 years out and that still works for me.  Some say it only worked for them in their "window", whch actually, DSer's do not have a "window" per se.  We can lose weight anytime, anywhere.  In fact, I'm working like HELL to keep my weight stable where it is, at 175, which is a long way from my highest weight of 405. My primary says I should not go below 160, taking the weight of loose skin into consideration., and my surgeon agrees. Actually, my primary is happy with me right where I am.  Still plus size?  Maybe to some, but for me, I'm a normie!

Another way to save: buy your clothes only on huge discount days. Our Goodwill has 50% off days usually the first Saturday of every month.  I got three pair of designer jeans for just over $10.50 this month.  Next time, it's going to be sweatshirts for the winter.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 307 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 773 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 257 views