Low prealbumin level

Kayla B.
on 10/15/11 12:14 pm - Austin, TX
how is your albumin and how have both of these numbers been in the past?

Prealbumin is more about short term protein intake and albumin is longer term.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
OSUcowgirl
on 10/15/11 12:20 pm - Sacramento, CA
I think I need to retest the albumin.  It was last tested a year ago, 3.6 on a normal of 3.3 to 4.7.  It was stable, but this was only my 2nd albumin test since my DS two years ago.  WIll be getting my 2 year labs done soon (2 year anniversary next month).  I might add, you are lovely.  Glad to see your surgery is working for you!    Thank you for the help. 
Kayla B.
on 10/15/11 12:27 pm - Austin, TX
only second albumin?  say whaaat?  It's included in either the liver panel or metabolic panel...I forget which.  Really basic stuff.  Can't believe no one watched it through your first year.

Anyways, did you have an abnormally low protein intake within the days before your blood test?

And thanks!
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
OSUcowgirl
on 10/15/11 12:38 pm - Sacramento, CA
No, no abnormally low protein intake.  Unusually high energy expenditure, but I did get the usual amount of protein in.  I had dropped about 7 pounds of FFM in the past two months though through working out. 
Elizabeth N.
on 10/15/11 10:50 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Yeah, you need to WAY WAY increase your protein if you're going to do that kind of thing. Ignore anyone who frets at you about too much protein, especially with those levels.

Prealbumin and albumin are part of a comprehensive metabolic panel, I believe. If you've only had a couple of those in two years, you need labs more often, especially since you now see you are at risk.

How are your other levels, like A, D, E, K, zinc, copper and selenium? "Fine" is not a sufficient answer here. You don't need to post the numbers, but you need to KNOW the numbers. What's your supplement regimen like?

gak
on 10/15/11 12:54 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
You definitely need to increase your protein intake ! aim for more like 150-200 grams a day and get that albumin level checked like Kayla mentioned. Many labs all entertwined.. I bed if you check it is on some of your old labs... If not it should be ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

beemerbeeper
on 10/15/11 11:02 pm - AL
I have to strongly second what EN is telling you.  You need to take charge of your labs right now.  You need comprehensive labs and you need frequent (every 3 months) follow up on not anything that isn't in really good shape but on anything that is TRENDING down.  That means you have to put your labs on a spread sheet so you can see the TRENDS.  This is not something any doctor will do.  But we have to if we want to stay healthy.

Here is a list of the labs you need.  I would bet you $10 you aren't getting all of them and it definitely sounds like you did not get labs frequently enough during your first 2 years.  I am 2 years out and have had labs 8 times.

docs.google.com/Doc

If you put your labs in a spreadsheet and post it here the lab experts will advise you.

What supplement program are you on?  This is the one that I see people be very successful with so this is basically what I started with and then I tweaked it based on my labs:

www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf

And a final note.  Labs are VERY interdependent.  You should not look at them in isolation.  That is why EN was asking about your iron labs when your post was about pre-albumin.  You have to look at your labs as a whole. 

I hope this helps.  It sounds like you want to be very healthy and active which is so great.  So take charge of your health so you can stay active!!

~Becky

MARTINA P.
on 10/16/11 12:24 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Is there already a spreadsheet that have been made that I could just enter my information in.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

beemerbeeper
on 10/16/11 4:13 am - AL
Martina,

That is a great idea.  Please start a post asking for someone to share theirs with you.  And if you save a blank form then you could share it with others in the future.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 592 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 965 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 326 views