Low prealbumin level

OSUcowgirl
on 10/15/11 11:25 am - Sacramento, CA
Hi Folks,
What can I do for my low prealbumin level?  It is 15.7 when the normal range is 18.0 to 41.0 mg/dl.  I already eat 100 to 130 grams of protein a day.  Some say too much protein is a bad thing.  Help! 
Thanks. 
Elizabeth N.
on 10/15/11 11:30 am - Burlington County, NJ
How are your other labs, in particular everything connected to iron?

OSUcowgirl
on 10/15/11 11:35 am - Sacramento, CA
last time I checked, iron was ok, on the low to middle range of normal, but it was ok.  Having more labs drawn next week for my two year follow up.  This seems to be an anamoly. 
Elizabeth N.
on 10/15/11 11:41 am - Burlington County, NJ
How have your prealbumin levels been at other times? And when was that last check of stuff like ferritin, IBC and total iron? What do the trends look like?

OSUcowgirl
on 10/15/11 12:11 pm - Sacramento, CA
prealbumin checked Jan. 2009:22.7; Oct. 2010:19.3; and today, 15.7; Iron, IBC total iron, etc.  all look good as of last tests, they were in normal range and improving, they were in the middle of the normal range.  As for ferritin, they haven't checked it in a year but it too was in the low-mid of the normal range but it too was improving, but again, it was all normal.  Wondering if my sudden training for a 5k 10 hours/week is causing the protein problem. 
Elizabeth N.
on 10/15/11 10:46 pm, edited 10/15/11 10:46 pm - Burlington County, NJ
AHA!!!!! You need to eat enough protein to support your increased activity level. I ran into this when I started trying to build some muscle mass, too. I had to go from about 100 grams to 150 grams a day just to maintain my lower-side-of-normal levels. Can't quite stomach more of the supplements yet, but I'm working at adapting things to even MORE protein intake.

You're not going to hurt yourself by eating "too much" protein. ETA: Unless you know you have a problem of some kind like kidney issues? There are some medical issues where protein needs to be reduced. But in general? We are malabsorbers. We have to eat sooooo much more protein than other people in order to get into worry range for stuff.

beemerbeeper
on 10/15/11 11:54 am - AL
Who says too much protein is a bad thing?  Some of us find that we need to get our 100+ in bioavailable protein from shakes and what we eat on top of that is just a bonus.

I recommend you start doing 4 shakes a day for a while and then retest to see if that helps.  I get close to 200 grams of protein a day and sometimes more.

And there are a variety  of ways to get those shakes in:  coffee shakes, shake cakes, regular shakes.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/11 12:10 pm
 If you prealbumin is at 15.7 then you are not absorbing enough protein. That means you need to increase your protein. With us DSers it's not how much you are eating but how much you are absorbing. 
It is not "bad" if you increase your protein, you need it, your prealbumin level is showing you that.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 351 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 805 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views