Help with Severe Indigestion/GERD Post Op

zpaultx
on 10/25/11 4:33 am - IL
Hi all!

I just had my DS last Wednesday, October 19.  I did very well in the hospital and was discharged on Friday, October 21.

This past Sunday, I began the full-liquid diet and have had LOTS of problems with severe indigestion/gerd.  It started with a protein shake that I made using the Smoothie King Gladiator mix along with 2% milk.  I decided that the 2% milk might be the problem...perhaps too fatty??  I switched next to the gladiator with silk milk.  Mmm, tasty--NOT!  I've also been having to crush all of the meds that I take and that's making me nauseas.  Yesterday, I tried more shakes but cut back on the amount of protein--still, lots of pain.  Today, it's hurting just to sip water!

I have emailed my primary doc and he's consulting with the surgeon's office.  I was on prilosec once a day before surgery because I have on-going reflux.  I've asked him to consider putting me back on something like this now. 

Have any of you had similar problems?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Paul

375/340
(deactivated member)
on 10/25/11 4:47 am
Almost all of us have needed to be on Prilosec or something similar after surgery.  Some people can stop using it after they have healed and some people are still taking it.  You should start feeling better as soon as you start taking it.

HTH,
Michele
sandyv63
on 10/25/11 5:15 am - Naples, FL
The milk might be doing you in as well. Lactose intolerance can happen after surgery so try eliminating milk for a while. You may be able to tolerate it agan in the future or you may be lactose intolerant from now on.
Fade2Pink
on 10/25/11 5:28 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Welcome to the Dark Side!  Sorry that you are not feeling well.  It is not uncommon at all to take a PPI.   You may need to try a few if one is not working out for you.  Good luck.
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

NoMore B.
on 10/25/11 5:41 am
 This is very common post op complaint.  If you're not on a PPI, make sure you get one from your surgeon.  I did, and also had to take a Pepcid after almost every meal for the first few months.  My surgeon told me it usually resolves around the 6 month mark, and that's when mine went away.  

Hang in there, recovery is not easy but it does get better.
zpaultx
on 10/25/11 5:48 am - IL
Thanks, thus far, for the feedback. What about the fact that Prilosec isn't supposed to be crushed...and ALL of my meds are being crushed at this point...???
teachmid
on 10/25/11 6:38 am - OKC, OK
My surgeon started me on Pepcid at discharge 4 days after surgery but a few days later changed it to Nexium. I took the pills right off the bat.

Hope you get to feeling better. Right now you need to totally focus on fluids and avoiding dehydration. Many people develop lactose intolerance post op. Try your protein powder in water. I didn't even try a protein shake until about about 3-4 weeks out.

Congratulations on your surgery.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Renfairewench
on 10/25/11 7:04 am
Try something other than milk, say like almond milk (not sweetened) and see if that helps. You could try soy milk too, but I personally think soy milk tastes like ass, but that's just me.  Also, look to see if your protein mix has milk in it. If it's whey then it has milk. You may need to go to an egg white protein. Jay Robb has a smashingly delish vanilla egg white protein. I love it in my coffee.

As for Prilosec, if the pill is too big try Nexium. No, don't cru**** Just take it with water.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/11 8:13 am
I take nexium 40 mg. and have since the beginning, Early out I would empty the capsule into a teaspoon of sf pudding or unsweetened applesauce. But  like everyone said alot of us pretty much need a ppi. I remember the first few days home from hospital, I had a generic for nexium.. It was a pill that had to be crushed...yuck! Ask doctor for capsule with granules that will desolve AFTER you swallow them.
Patty Kake
on 10/25/11 9:35 am
Hi!

I know what you are going through.  I couldn't handle the milk based protein drinks either.  I found a juice based protein drink called Nectar and it is sold at stores called the Vitamin Shoppe.  It is really good.  I chose the Fuzzy Navel flavored drink and I can handle drinking it without it making me sick. 

My doctor also put me on pepcid a week after surgery.  I am still taking it twice a day and still get heartburn once in a while.  I had my surgery on 9/15 and still get nauseous when I try to eat anything.  I'm hoping this passes as well. 

Good luck and I hope things get better for you. 

Blessings.

Patty
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 334 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 800 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views