Not Going #2

waterman691
on 11/5/11 3:02 pm, edited 11/11/11 11:26 am - west monroe, LA
 I say some really good information about solution to constipation on this side but for the life of me I cannot find it, would all of you PLEASE re post any information you care to share, PLEASE.

Arnold
HW 330,PS300
MajorMom
on 11/5/11 6:47 pm - VA
Vitalady's ritual:

I had chronic constipation for 11 years. I tried: more fiber, less fiber, soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, no fiber, both fibers, stool softeners, Smooth Moves & Correctol teas and Metamucil wafers, together, apart, more water, less water, cut out anything bu****er (and protein), senna, cascara sagrada, everything one could possibly try until I was basically dependent on enemas for 3 yrs.

Miralax helped the stool be passable. It was rx and finally became generic, so went from $80 for 3 months to $20 for 3 months. Now it is OTC, but is about $8 for 5-6 servings. If you can get the rx, it is much cheaper, safe, daily, for life, according to my GI doc.

The stool softeners are store brand equal to Colace, not PERI-colace.

Word was that magnesium citrate was such a great thing. This is pills, not the green bottle, so I tried it and nothing happened, and so I kept increasing it. What DID happen is that my foot and leg cramps ceased. So, I kept doing that and tried magnesium oxide. This is small, cheap, found anywhere, like drug stores. And finally, it worked. Mine are 500 mg and I take 2.

My final formula:
1 serving MiraLax (rx) *
4 stool softeners at night
1 mag ox with lunch, 1 with dinner

In the morning, hot beverage first thing on empty gut

This has worked for several years yrs now.

* MiraLax was rx only until the end of 2007, and is now generic by rx. The original name brand is available at drug stores at about $20 for a large bottle. You might want to try one first, taken daily, at about the same time. If it solves the problem, then ask your doc for rx. It is NOT a laxative. It is safe, daily, taken for life, per 4 doctors I've asked. It was a pediatrician who introduced me to it. My rx plan allows me to have 6 of those big bottles every 3 months for $20. Check with your doc and your insurance to see if it's beneficial to buy it by rx. BTW, my doc writes for 2 servings per day, because they might SAY there are 30 servings per bottle, but somebody can't count. Me or them? I use only one, but if I spill or get too much, I still have enough to last til next refill.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

waterman691
on 11/6/11 12:52 pm - west monroe, LA
 Thanks MajorMom
Will go to the store tomorrw and get the ingredients and start tomorrow afternoon and again thanks for responding with good info.

Arnold  HW 330  Pre Surg  300
MARTINA P.
on 11/6/11 8:37 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Do not laugh because I am serious only thing that helped me was spoon of extra virgin olive oil and miralx daily.  Good luck because I been where you are.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

waterman691
on 11/6/11 12:53 pm - west monroe, LA
 this is no laughing matter, thanks for the imput.

Elizabeth N.
on 11/6/11 9:19 am - Burlington County, NJ
You're fresh out of surgery, right?

1. More movement. Walk around more. It makes your intestines a lot happier.
2. MORE FLUIDS.
3. More fat. My trick was two saltine crackers spread at least cracker thick in butter. A jigger of olive oil would also work.

If those don't help, stool softeners WITHOUT STIMULANTS, Miralax, possibly a glycerin suppository to soften up anything that's plugging your butt, and then maybe a Fleet enema.

waterman691
on 11/6/11 12:55 pm - west monroe, LA
 Ok will do on the movement and the fluids and some fat.
will wait on the fleet  enema, wait a little while longer.
thanks so much for the info.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 677 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views