2.5 years out, have been non compliant

Emilie J.
on 12/21/11 3:58 pm

First, let me start off by saying I'm not looking for sympathy, or to be coddled, or to be handled with kid gloves. I know that doesn't happen here.

What I did, I did to myself, and I know that. I made the choices I made, and I will have to deal with the consequenses. I have already contacted my surgeons nurse, and she is, as usual, on the ball, getting me straight.

I'll try to give you the short version. I had the DS 2.5 years ago. I didn't prepare enough, I didn't take it seriously enough, and I certainly didn't give it my all on the follow through.

I was non compliant from the very beginning. I was that girl who ate 4 chocolate chip cookies a week after surgery, despite me having that little thingy in my guts that Dr. Hares uses, and, I could have killed myself, and, I knew that, but I wanted the damn cookies. Yeah...that's me.

I never exercised, and I only kept up with my supplements for about a year following surgery. I did have a round of iron infusions about 17 months post op, but since then, have not had any. I didn't eat right, and I don't eat right now. I highly doubt I am getting even 60 grams of protien a day.

Bottom line, now, I'm panicking. I have had kidney stones on several, several occassions that have had to be surgically removed, I have tingling in my hands, wrists, toes and feet that will not go away. I have bilateral lower extremity pitting edema that lasix is not resolving. I'm fatigued, I'm depressed. I, am getting sick. I feel it.

I know how non compliant pt's effect hopeful ds'rs. I know we give the surgery a bad name. I know I've been a stupid (insert swear word here) I know.

I want to start over, I want to be healthy, I want to be here for my boys, I want to change my habits and get on the straight and narrow. I'm terrified. I'm overwhelmed. I'm freakin out. I feel like a brand newbie who knows nothing, because, I haven't kept up with anything, and now I've forgotten it all. Help me. Please.

I am going to post some of my significant lab values, from August, which are my most recent labs, so, approximately 2 years out at the time. Like I said, I contacted Dr. Hares nurse, and I know she is on it. If you feel the need to to beat me bloody with a thorough tongue lashing, please do, just, while you're at it, please help me.

Emilie

Total protien- 5.9
albumin- 3.5
prealbumin- 20.9

Hgb- 10.7
Hct- 31.8
TIBC- 199
B12- 285 (augh!!)

Vitamin D- 34

I didn't get a PTH, A, Zinc etc...done, so I don't know those figures. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

P.S. I would do it all over again, I would just do it right. I've lost 192 lbs, and am 7 lbs away from my goal. My life has changed in big ways, huge ways, little ways, eensy weensy ways. I wouldn't take it back, I just would do it the right way.

Emilie, mom, wife, Nurse........superhero
It's about the Wow's!   
(deactivated member)
on 12/21/11 4:09 pm
I'm not a vet so I might not be what you are looking for.

First I think you should start tracking your food intake so you know how much protein you are getting in for sure. Then aim for a minimum of 100g per day, more if you can. Use something like MyFitnessPal, it's free, has a vast food database and iPhone app. 

Next start your supplements! This link is particularly helpful for an idea of where to start, you'd then adjust according to your labs.
http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_ BPDDS3-2010.pdf 

Go back to basics. Protein first, then complex carbs, if you then still have room whole grains. Sugar/alcohol on rare occassions.

I'll be honest, I don't know much about lab numbers for those living in the States. We have different measurements in Canada. You might need to get on TPN, but I really don't know.

You can do this. You NEED to do this. It's not too late to get on the right path and do it properly (:

Good luck!
Elizabeth N.
on 12/21/11 5:10 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Perhaps the OP, whom I blocked after she attempted suicide by cookies as a fresh preop, might benefit from going where the vets are now. Could you send her an invitation? There is no more help to be had here.

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/11 5:24 pm
I sent her a PM after I posted the message (:
OhioSteve
on 12/21/11 7:34 pm
You need a full -FULL- set of labs, stat.

Without them you are just speculating on what might or might not be going on.

If you can't get the labs you really can't do much else but carpet bomb with vits, minerals and protein and hope things improve.

With labs you can have a solid starting point and track your improvement (or lack of) as your treatment progresses.

Please, go get labs.

Steve

Steve in Cleveland, Ohio - BPD/DS 02/25/2008
The WLS information site you can edit and improve! www.wlswiki.com
Julie R.
on 12/21/11 9:31 pm - Ludington, MI
 I remember you well, and we all tried to help you then, Emilie.   I've wondered about you quite a bit over the past years, because I almost felt that you were self-sabotaging for some deep-rooted psychological reason.      As a person who has struggled with osteoporosis and other issues DESPITE compliance, I'm going to tell you that you have no excuse, but I know you know that.   Now it's time to get you back on track.     I'm having a hard time getting on to the new site (gonna work on that today) but I do suggest you head over there.  Also, Vitalady's regime is the best one to get you back on the straight and narrow.   I would email her immediately.

I'm happy to hear that you've lost almost all your weight!   If you are replacing carbs with protein, however, that weight is going to creep back up again, so you might want to work on getting a handle on that as well.   

I have had edema issues as well, despite protein compliance.    Get your protein intake back in line and if the edema still persists, look into your consumption of gluten.   I've found that eliminating wheat products has taken care of that, for the most part, with me, as well as some persistent acute flare-ups of severe joint pain.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

annaleigh1979
on 12/22/11 10:39 am
I second Julie's sentiments. I remember your previous posts well.

What is it going to take to get you to value yourself and your health?

Larissa P.
on 12/21/11 9:36 pm - Denton, TX
I second what Steve says.

You say your serious. Then go BEAT DOWN the doc's door to get ALL of these labs:

CBC With Differential/Platelets
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
Lipid Profille
Thyroid Panel
Copper, Serum
Ferritin, Serum
Iron: TIBC, % Sat
Magnesium, Serum
Phosphorus, Serum
PTH, Intact
Selenium, Serum/Plasma
Uric Acid, Serum
Vitamin A
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine), Blood
Vitamin B12
Folate
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy
Zinc, Plasma or Serum
Vitamin E, Serum
Vitamin K
Osteocalcin
Pre-albumin
C Reacitive Protein
PT
PTT

Now, when you have the results, come back and post.

PROVE you are serious, start drinking your protein shakes like NOW. And getting Vitalady's newbie startup kit:  https://vitalady.com/vitanews/starter-packages/

Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
fullhousemom
on 12/21/11 10:45 pm
 I'm not sure if you posted to vent or posted because you want help. You are the only one who can CHOSE to take care of yourself, and if you find yourself always choosing the opposite, then you need to figure out why that is.   Therapy?  Most of us take better care of ourselves post surgery!  For me, my surgery was the catalyst that I needed to start putting ME first. 

Get ALL your labs done asap. Start on vitamins TODAY. Start eating your proteins TODAY. Don't wait until the labs are in or until after Christmas, etc.   It is too easy to find a different excuse every day to put it off. 

You CAN do it. You will need to put yourself first and establish some discipline. Let you and your health be on your mind all day and every day until it becomes a habit.   ALL of us have been negligent of that pre surgery. If you dont feel strong enough, seek out a therapist or a life coach, depending on your needs. But please run, don't walk, and find a good doctor to take care of this! Best wishes!
DarcyMad
on 12/21/11 11:41 pm - Cedar Park, TX
Sounds like symptoms of protein deficiency.  Better get that taken care of ASAP.  You can't fool around with this stuff!
DarcyMad
Surgery Date:  11/15/2010
Jewel506 is my Angel!    Angel to Kristi (Momx4)
Anything that is, or was, began as a dream - Lavagirl 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views