Have Sleeve, Wanting DS...Any Advice?

Huneypie
on 12/28/11 2:46 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Glad to hear a world class DS surgeon saying this.  To be honest you have to ask yourself why anyone would ever get part 2 of the DS, other than for diabetes, if it didn't work.  Losing more slowly - well I'd cope with that, but not losing at all... that'd be too much.

Thanks for investigating and posting your findings.
beemerbeeper
on 12/27/11 3:34 am - AL
I would think the critical issue is making sure you can get the switch. Insurance? Surgeon? Schedule?

Other than that,just use your sleeve to its potential and when you get the switch do the same. You can only control what you have control over.

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/11 3:59 am
Hi!

I have read the studies and yes, there is a 'synergy' with a full DS, but most of our 2 parters have lost the weight or are in sight of their goal.  From what I have seen it is slower and you have to watch what you eat more carefully, ie. , keep the carbs low.

There are very few DSer's with 'terrible' bowel issues, most issues are resolved with dietary changes.  Also after the switch part you will be taking a LOT more calcium and iron, both of which cause constipation.  I have constipation if I don't eat enough fat so I add cream to my coffee, etc.
I do not have horrible gas either.

All that being said, ANYTIME you have your intestines messed with you are going to have bowel issues for a short time until your body adjusts so be aware of that issue.

Good luck!
Huneypie
on 12/27/11 5:37 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Hi m h, thanks for your reply.  I'm glad to hear something positive.
maryc543
on 12/29/11 1:43 am
My 'real' life makes me an infrequent poster this past year, but....my DS was a planned 2 parter from Dr. Inabnet in NYC.  My losing stats are posted in my profile.....   It may give you a reference, time frame for a 'typical' 2 parter....       PM me with any questions, etc you have....   Good Luck,  Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Huneypie
on 12/29/11 7:45 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Wow, you've lost A LOT of weight - congratulations, you must be thrilled.  How much did you lose with just the sleeve and how much was after part 2 of the DS? 
maryc543
on 12/29/11 10:09 pm
the exact numbers are in my profile, but I think it was about even....maybe 120 with the VSG and another 130 with the switch.....    I've looked and looked, and can't find anything in any journals/studies about the synergy effect.  Maybe there is a slower loss if the steps are far apart, but I didn't find that in my personal experiences.    Mary  C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/12 11:03 am
Thanks! I'm happy to report that I have an appointment with Dr. Daryl Stewart (Denton, TX) this Thursday. I am very excited, and hopeful that he is agreeable that I am a good candidate for the Sleeve-to-DS.

I will keep posting, and again, thanks everyone.
Donna
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1083 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1259 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 513 views