How do I get out of this stall?

Katy S.
on 2/10/12 5:12 pm - WA
Hey I thought I would pop in since I am rarely on here any more sorry :/

I am a year out in approx 3 weeks, I am at 185ish lbs loss post surgerical 155lbs ish... I lost for my first 6 months, but I lost slooowwwwlyyyyy and I would lose for 3 weeks and stall for 2-3 weeks... I was always tired, and never wanted to eat or take my vitamins, I worked out for like 2-3 weeks and then stopped from exhaustion... Then, I started to eat and take my vites the way I needed to, I follow Michelles vitamin schedule as dilligently as my scattered brain will follow it :)... I made the mistake of leaving out magnesium for not only my first 6mo, but the first 2-3ish months of vite sched... = muscle fatigue turning to major spasms and cramps...

I began adding my protein, went from 1 shake MAYBE every other day, I ate yes, high protein, but my intake was about 60-90 grams per day... That being said my surgeon did an AWESOME job with my DS... and I NEEDED more than 90 grams to get the amount my body required...

After I started taking my vites regularly my energy levels went up, my friend and I started going to the gym which SPRINGBOARDED me into cycling class, which turned into 5 days a week cycling...But I wasn't losing... I was still going through my 2-3 weeks losing 2-3 week stall cycle, and the weight had slowed coming off... Then I figured it out, I NEEDED more calories!!! Not just any calories, sugar, simple carbs, nasty stuff did not do the trick! I needed good old protein... I also added healthier carbs like 1/2 pb sandwich and a banana an hour or so before a workout...

I HAD to add protein to not pass out from all of the exercise and living my crazy busy life...

I changed my protein intake to 2-3 shakes a day plus 2-3 meals, lots and lots of water... lots and lots I mean lots lol... My doc was clear to remind me I malabsorb water too, and 8 glasses a day is just simply not enough, not even enough for someone who exercizes like I was, not to mention a DSer...

My loss accelerated a ton, and not only that but my body started changing like crazy too... My legs, arms, face, everything started to change shape... and people noticed very quickly, between Sept & Dec I went from a size 14/16 to a size 5 with my DS, I was 202 in Sept, and I am 153 now, pretty sure I am close to my stable weight, but I am not sure if I am done or not?

I started substituting for cycling instructors, and I now teach my own class, when my husband deployed I cut back my cycling to 2-3 days a week + subbing (which has made more like 3 days a week cycling) ....

I haven't lost anything in the last 2-3 weeks, but guess what else I haven't done... taken my vitamins, eaten barely anything daily, drank water only so I wouldn't pass out from dehydration at spin lol... I haven't had a protein shake in over a week... My body is screaming for it...

Basically I can't write a short answer to any question its one of my major flaws lol... But I know what I know, and this coming week I have 5 days in a row of spin with teaching and subbing for instructors who are out... I need to go back to my protein and vite and regular eating and fluid routine or I won't make it through the week alive lol...

Does this make any sense to you? I could pretty much stand and swear you're not done losing by any means... You NEED to take in more calories, SPECIFICALLY protein + good carbs (yes there is such a thing they are not as evil as you would think ;) ) ... You NEED to take in more fluids SPECIFICALLY WATER! Ice it warm it popsicle it add lemon... whatever drink the stuff and lots of it... You think you feel good now? Just wait and see lady just wait and see!!! I don't count my carbs, in reality I can say I never have, because I figured out pretty quickly that noodles, white breads, ice cream etc made my tummy a very unhappy camper (don't even go there with a slurpee it sounds the same as its name)...An example of my day when I am eating right and taking in everything I should...

Morning:
Vites & Meds
Protein Shake (coffee shake is the only way I make it lol)
Sometimes I add a banana, a mini quiche (homemade) lots of eggs, cheese, bacon, spinach minimal crust or no crust, or a muffin here these are all usually consumed on my way to the gym or school lol...
Big cup ice water 24 oz over a 2ish hour time

Mid morning:
Refill water
Vties & Meds
Snack (cheese & meat, maybe crackers?)
Protein shake

Lunch: (usually my first "real" meal of the day because of my schedule, if I am still pretty busy at this time, its another protein shake and a small snack)
Refill water
Vites & Meds
Tuna Sandwich (more tuna and cheese than bread lol)
Maybe a handful of nuts or something along those lines

Afternoon:
* I down a 12-16 oz bottle of water
Then refill my water cup with ice & water eat a quick bite & head out to spin
(If protein shake at lunch then a snack, if I ate a real lunch this is a protein shake and small snack if I have time)
Usually I have cycling in the afternoon, I teach at 3:30 so I have a shake and a banana usually, I also grab *A* (one) graham cracker or a 1/2 pb sandwich, I need a tiny bit of carbs and protein to get in a full energy workout

Evening: Dinner with the fam
Vites & Meds
Sloppy joes (more meat than bread I would make 1/2 bun with full sandwich of meat + cheese and if I am hungry later have a 2nd of the same but this is usually 3-4 hours apart lol)
A couple pieces of broccoli
Small like maybe the size of 2 golf balls size potato baked potato with cheese and sour cream, usually eaten slowly over a couple hours separate from my other meal cuz I can't eat all of that in one sitting haha)

*** YMMV and your DS may not like some of the similar foods to what I eat, but this basic diet, and regular workouts is what keeps/kept me losing, I am not sure if my body is done losing yet, but I am in a healthy range so its cool if that happens but to keep up with spin I need to get back on track so who knows :)

- I can still only eat about 3-5 oz solid food in a 20-30 min span of time, if I sit and eat like at a restaurant I can eat an entire meal over 2-2.5 hours while chatting, but when at a restaurant I sub sides which I like WAY better than fries that I used to eat a ton of, do I have a bite of fries occasionally? Sure maybe 2-3 but compared to seasoned mixed veggies and a SMALL loaded baked potato, I never want that stuff... there's so much flavor to be found when I don't have to worry about how hungry I am all the time and pick the foods that are going to fill me up the most :)
"Hi, my name is Katy...and I am a meat eating spin junkie"
HW: 336/DOS: 306/CW: 153/GW: 140?
~ CSz: 5 - S/M

* G1: 199# 09/28/11 * G2: 175# 11/30/11 * G3: 160# 12/09/11(
"People too weak to follow their dreams, will always try to find a way to discourage yours"

Katy S.
on 2/10/12 5:24 pm - WA
I forgot to mention a couple things (did I mention that I can never give a short answer?)

- My protein shakes are 4-8 oz made with half&half, coffee,sf flavor, ice and protein powder, shaken
- I usually fill up my 24 oz cup of water right after spin class, especially if I am the instructor its dry as a bone lol
- I like to have a glass of whole milk in the evenings (at bed) to take my vites/meds, usually about 4oz of milk, for some reason I really like that glass of milk, never did that before...
- A regular sleep schedule is important, I was also going to sleep by 10:30 ish every night, I should be asleep right now... Ok now I think that's *almost* everything I can think of :)

"Hi, my name is Katy...and I am a meat eating spin junkie"
HW: 336/DOS: 306/CW: 153/GW: 140?
~ CSz: 5 - S/M

* G1: 199# 09/28/11 * G2: 175# 11/30/11 * G3: 160# 12/09/11(
"People too weak to follow their dreams, will always try to find a way to discourage yours"

geutenmorgan
on 2/11/12 2:12 pm
 Wow Katy, I am really grateful for your post.  As I read it I totally accept the fact I do not eat enough.  I am having a hard time with protein drinks. Are there any you have really liked?
I am just getting into more exercise, but can't wait till I feel more confident to go to a gym.  
I do need to drink water, more, I drink it, but it can always be more and all the time.  Thank you Thank you for your reply.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 357 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 815 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views