Wacky Question

fatmackn
on 7/24/12 10:08 pm - Adelaide, Australia
Exclusive to the DS and not the gastric bypass is the removal of;

70 percent of the stomach
Appendix
Gall Bladder

Does anyone know how much these 3 actually weigh all up?

The reason i ask is DS seems to be superior to gastric bypass in terms of excess weight loss however that excess weight loss is calculated by weight on scales and not with body fat measurements? Obvisouly the removal of all that from youre insides would make you even lighter on the scales?
MajorMom
on 7/24/12 10:20 pm, edited 7/24/12 10:20 pm - VA
Yeah, but not by any significant amount. And, many surgeons don't remove the gall bladder and appendix. Mine, for example, only removed the appendix and left the gall bladder.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

merrymorris
on 7/24/12 11:16 pm - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
The reason we lose so much more is the amount of malabsorption compared to the bypass. At least, that is what I was told. It's because we have the combo of restriciton and malabsorption where the bypass has restriction but much less malabsorption. We do have to take way more vitamins than they do.
zix
on 7/25/12 1:17 am - PA
DS on 02/13/12

I assume this is a serious question. Both the gallbladder and the appendix are tiny, each are only a couple ounces. The stomach is obviously bigger but the removed portion is still under 2 lbs for most people. This would not translate into any significant weight loss, especially when you consider the hundreds of pounds some people lose after having DS surgery.

MsBatt
on 7/25/12 5:57 am
You're kidding, right?

And I have no clue where you're getting this: "however that excess weight loss is calculated by weight on scales and not with body fat measurements?"

The DS is a superior surgey not because it causes that much more weight LOSS, but because it makes it so much easier to MAINTAIN that weight loss, long-term. It also allows a much more normal eating plan and lifestyle.

fatmackn
on 7/25/12 5:08 am - Adelaide, Australia
On July 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:
You're kidding, right?

And I have no clue where you're getting this: "however that excess weight loss is calculated by weight on scales and not with body fat measurements?"

The DS is a superior surgey not because it causes that much more weight LOSS, but because it makes it so much easier to MAINTAIN that weight loss, long-term. It also allows a much more normal eating plan and lifestyle.

I think i worded the post wrong. I was meant to say that when people calculate there excess weight loss that they use the scales and the old BMI Formula as a weigh to estimate there excess weight loss. Whati meant to say is that the true weigh loss in the form of fat free mass is measured via taking skin folds with calipers to measure the body fat percentage. why do this?

Well if you dont know already muscle weighs more then fat so the truth is you can calculate just youre bmi have a lowish bmi and yet still have a lot of body fat if allot of the weight u lost was in the form of muscle tissue.

Vice versa u can calculate youre bmi and it can read a high bmi yet u can be slim becauseand not have much body fat if you have have muscle on you.

So by measuring youre body fat percentage you can accuratley tell both how much fat youve lost and how much fat u REALLY have left to loose.
Emily F.
on 7/25/12 6:02 am
On July 25, 2012 at 12:08 PM Pacific Time, fatmackn wrote:
You're kidding, right?

I think i worded the post wrong. I was meant to say that when people calculate there excess weight loss that they use the scales and the old BMI Formula as a weigh to estimate there excess weight loss. Whati meant to say is that the true weigh loss in the form of fat free mass is measured via taking skin folds with calipers to measure the body fat percentage. why do this?

Well if you dont know already muscle weighs more then fat so the truth is you can calculate just youre bmi have a lowish bmi and yet still have a lot of body fat if allot of the weight u lost was in the form of muscle tissue.

Vice versa u can calculate youre bmi and it can read a high bmi yet u can be slim becauseand not have much body fat if you have have muscle on you.

So by measuring youre body fat percentage you can accuratley tell both how much fat youve lost and how much fat u REALLY have left to loose.
 that theory is also flawed for how much skin we have left over. You can use calibers but if you have ten lbs of skin, it won't tell you that. 

I don't necessarily agree with the bmi scale as far as anything over 25 is over weight. But I will say starting at 43 and going to 24, that is mostly fat loss, obviously. Surely I lost muscles bc it doesn't take as much muscle to carry my 160 lb self than a 300 lb self. 

But I promise you, the fact that my surgeon took 80% of my stomach, gall bladder and appendix, does not account for my weightloss. Its the malasorption and the restriction of the stomach. Not the missing organs.
fatmackn
on 7/25/12 6:19 am - Adelaide, Australia
On July 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM Pacific Time, Emily F. wrote:
You're kidding, right?

that theory is also flawed for how much skin we have left over. You can use calibers but if you have ten lbs of skin, it won't tell you that. 

I don't necessarily agree with the bmi scale as far as anything over 25 is over weight. But I will say starting at 43 and going to 24, that is mostly fat loss, obviously. Surely I lost muscles bc it doesn't take as much muscle to carry my 160 lb self than a 300 lb self. 

But I promise you, the fact that my surgeon took 80% of my stomach, gall bladder and appendix, does not account for my weightloss. Its the malasorption and the restriction of the stomach. Not the missing organs.
I agree with you on the excess skin part that the calibers wont work in that situation. Body fat can also be measured using Body fat scales use the Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) technique. This method measures body composition by sending a low, safe electrical current through the body. The current passes freely through the fluids contained in muscle tissue, but encounters resistance when it passes through fat tissue.

I know youre weight loss is obviously majority is fat theres no doubting that but a small bit would be muscle tissue thats with both gastric bypass and Ds.I was just wondering as DS is so much so much stronger then gastric bypass on the malabsorbtion part that it would be interesting to know if it would lead to more muscle loss as your not absorbing as much protein and carbs and everything else.
Emily F.
on 7/25/12 6:30 am
On July 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM Pacific Time, fatmackn wrote:
You're kidding, right?

I agree with you on the excess skin part that the calibers wont work in that situation. Body fat can also be measured using Body fat scales use the Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) technique. This method measures body composition by sending a low, safe electrical current through the body. The current passes freely through the fluids contained in muscle tissue, but encounters resistance when it passes through fat tissue.

I know youre weight loss is obviously majority is fat theres no doubting that but a small bit would be muscle tissue thats with both gastric bypass and Ds.I was just wondering as DS is so much so much stronger then gastric bypass on the malabsorbtion part that it would be interesting to know if it would lead to more muscle loss as your not absorbing as much protein and carbs and everything else.
 I don't think its so different muscle wise. You are going to lose muscle but an rny at goal weight and a ds at goal weight I don't think the amount of muscle will be that different?? Its not like one is going to a body builder naturally and the other a shrunken bag of bones. Look at people's after pictures. No, I cannot bench press like I could at 300 lbs. but I'll take goal weight and healthy over stroke at 40 and can bench press more.
MsBatt
on 7/25/12 7:02 am
On July 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM Pacific Time, fatmackn wrote:
You're kidding, right?

My surgeon has those scales that neasure body fat. At my 6-month checkup, I'd lost exactly 100 pounds---of which THREE POUNDS was muscle.

Just how much muscle mass an individual loses depevds on a lot of factors. Exercise is probably the biggest. One reason that we DSers do eat a lot of protein is to compensate for the malabsorption. (Another reason is because it's GOOD! *grin*)
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 351 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 805 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views