Any advice for those approved for RNY but wanting DS?

Armyguy1976
on 7/25/12 5:36 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
 Afternoon all,  Let me start by saying after over 2 years researching the best barirtric surgery for me I've set my sights on DS over RNY.

Sadly after finally getting my approval from the Canadian Forces(Military) there steering me towards the RNY. Anyone have any success requesting DS over RNY? 

I guess i should add a little about myself. 38.5 -39 BMI, after dropping 10+ pounds this year I'm under 40BMI for the first time in over a year, Thankfully(sad to say) I have obstructive sleep Apena as well as GERD(easily controlled with 40mg pantoloc each day) high bad chlos, and borderline HBP as well a family history littered with HBP, Diabites, heart disease, Cancer etc. 

I also have a documented history of requiring NSAIDS, had swelling issues due to my taxing career(16 years military) and had surgery for compartment syndrome in 2010 in both my legs. 

Any advice on how i can steer my medical coverage(Blue Cross Canada for federal employees) towards DS surgery and if possible Dr Gagner here in Canada. 

I am unable to contact Blue Cross or even google there coverage as my surgery is being managed by the military and they control all access to information and contact with insurer. 

I can live with RNY but in a perfect world DS works best for me and my life and career requirments. 

Cheers

Referal Feb 2011, Orientation Dec 5 2012, Nurse Prac Jan 8th 2013, Dietitian Jan 9th 2013, Social worker Jan 10th 2013, Ultra sound Jan 20th 2013, CT scan Feb 4th 2013, Scope Feb 5th 2013 .... Surgeons apoint June 12 2013, Pre Op Class June 26 2013, PATTS Aug 20 2013, RNY surgery Sept 10th 2013

zuzupetals2u2
on 7/25/12 5:59 am - Sedona, AZ
 you cant take NSAIDs after the RNY. You need to appeal that one and fight for the DS. Many have done such a thing & won. If you'v e researched for 2 years you should know all about it & have a wealth of info stored up to make the right arguments.
Armyguy1976
on 7/25/12 6:05 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
 Thx Z!

Thats just the thing it's pretty tough to change the militarys mind! It won't be from a lack of trying though. 

MajorMom
on 7/25/12 7:06 am - VA
There may be some help from the studies on www.dsfacts.com . The NSAIDS issue used to work for lightweights wanting the DS in Canada a few years back.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

* Gail R *
on 7/26/12 2:53 am - SF Bay Area, CA
If you think it might help send me a PM with your email address and I can send you a copy of my appeal letter. I had to appeal my case with the insurance board before my insurance would pay. The letter covers all important points and gives references. I have removed all personal information.
The RNY just isn't the right surgery for you from what I am reading in your post.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Gutless_in_Seattle
on 7/26/12 6:12 am - Seattle, WA
Keep fighting! Don't let them push an RnY on you, this is something you have to live with for the rest of your life.

Me, I wouldn't have an RnY if they gave it to me free of charge.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 739 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1037 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 348 views