GAS, GAS, GO AWAY GAS

dleblanc1968
on 9/13/12 6:49 pm - Lake Arthur , LA
I'm 15 months post surgery.  The gas I've experienced from day one is unreal!  I have a close friend who also had the DS and she NEVER has gas!  Any thoughts out there? 

JazzyOne9254
on 9/13/12 12:24 pm, edited 9/13/12 12:25 pm
If you are using regular whey protein for shakes, switch to whey protein isolate.  You may have become lactose intolerant with your DS. 
The nurse who conducted our pre-op class says that nearly everyone starts out lactose intolerant post-op, but if you weren't pre-op, it would likely go away.  I'm not sure if the WPI works on the lactose in whole milk, but I've been fine just making that switch.  I use whole milk and heavy cream in my shakes. 

Unfortunately for me, I was LI as a pre-op, but I'm 31/2 years out now, and the LI seems to have gotten better.   Simple sugars and carbs will give you the bloats and gas from hell, too.

*Never* let go of your shakes completely, no matter what anybody tells you.  I've witnessed protein calorie malnutrition in others, and have experienced it myself.  There is *no way* you can eat enough protein to give you what you need every day, since you're only absorbing 50-60% of what you take in. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

wannablite
on 9/14/12 2:40 am - Southern, NJ
 Like you, from the time I got home from the hospital I had horrible gas. Tried everything I could think of and listened to many on the boards. In June I saw my surgeon and asked for Flagyl. I was only able to take 5 pills because the diarrhea was so bad I couldn't work that way so I stopped taking them. Guess what? I haven't had a problem since! I drink 2-3 shakes a day and I'm able to eat bread when I choose without worry. I only have it as an occasional treat, but that's ok with me. I do find if I OD on fat that I have a gas problem. We are all so different, but maybe a round of Flagyl would give you some relief. It got to the point where I couldn't even enjoy an evening out with DH so something HAD to be done for me. Good luck!
Erin
Valerie G.
on 9/14/12 4:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 The largest contributors to gas are:

1) simple carbs (different things affect people different ways)
2) lactose intolerance (may be only some dairy - not all) - and this includes whey protein.  
3) artificial sweeteners
4) bacterial imbalance, and I don't understand why we get this so easily, but we do, and for me, a regular dose of yogurt does the trick, while others take probiotic pills to keep their bugs in check.  Flagyl kills off all bacteria (good and bad) and the key is to repopulate the colony.  Some stay on it for a while instead, which some docs don't care for.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Onelifetolive
on 9/14/12 9:04 am - TX
I hope you find out what's causing it and feel better.  Wasn't in the least bit judging but must admit I turned my nose up as if I smelt the gas when I read the title alone.  LOL sorry
Sunshine16
on 9/15/12 3:47 pm
Too much carbs, and ice cream will do it....especially ice cream.

You have to find your trigger foods.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Julie R.
on 9/15/12 6:04 pm - Ludington, MI
 It tends to get better with time for many of us.    The culprits for me?    Processed, refined carbs, whey protein shakes, corn syrup, milk and cheap ice cream, and mallitiol.    My sister also had the DS, and she hardly has gas at all!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

octobermorning
on 9/15/12 7:31 pm
DS on 07/25/12
I'm very new, but I haven't had any gas problems at all (so far, knock on wood.)  All I can think is that I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, so maybe my body has been used to dealing with gas-producing foods for a long time.  I don't know.  Digestive Advantage (a daily probiotic type supplement) has a gas formula.  I had bought it because I expected to have gas problems and then just never had to use it.  I don't know if other people have had a good experience with that product or not. Good luck!
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was greater than the risk it took to blossom."  ~Anais Nin            
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 361 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 820 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views