Considering a revision to the DS from a VSG. Can you talk to me about your experience?

pippin
on 1/1/13 5:32 am - Baltimore

Hi everyone,

In 2009, I had a VSG.  Over the course of a year and a half, I lost 160 lbs.  Since then, I have gained back 60.  I am considering getting a revision to a DS.  Right now I am in the beginning stages of trying to figure out if I am covered through my husband's insurance (United Healthcare).  When I had my VSG, I had BCBS and was on my mom's insurance.  It was not covered, and I ended up having to self-pay.  I really want to avoid that (and I also want to avoid having to have surgery out of state again).

Has anyone here had the experience of being revised from a VSG to a DS?  What was your experience like and how was it different from the VSG?

For everyone else, can you please talk to me about your experience in general?  What kinds of complications have you dealt with?  Why is the DS superior to the RNY?  What kinds of foods can you eat?

I have been nervous about posting for a long time.  I felt so ashamed about failing with my VSG. 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

VSG on 4/7/2009.  Weight at surgery- 341 lbs.  Weight lost- 150 lbs. Weight regain- 70 lbs.  Current weight 260 lbs.  Seeking a revision to the DS.

celticfaery
on 1/1/13 6:29 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

Please don't feel like a failure!  I hope some more people chime in soon so you can have more variety in answers.  There aren't many of us 2 parters, but we are out there...

Since I've been back on the OH boards, I've seen more RNY revisions to DS than sleeve to DS revisions.  I contemplated the RNY briefly, but quickly ruled that out since many RNYers have the same issue that us sleevesters were having with regain.  I just had to bite the bullet and admit to myself that the DS was the best choice for me when I considered everything I had been dealing with during my regain.

You are not alone in this!!!  HUGS to you!!!!!

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

pippin
on 1/1/13 6:41 am - Baltimore

Thank you so much for replying!  I have been feeling SO alone. If I do get revised, I'm sure that I want the DS and not the RNY.  I guess my biggest fear is going through yet another dangerous and scary surgery, and failing again.  I DO NOT regret my sleeve, because I could never have lost 100 lbs without it.  But perhaps it's time for me to move on to the next step with the DS.

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

VSG on 4/7/2009.  Weight at surgery- 341 lbs.  Weight lost- 150 lbs. Weight regain- 70 lbs.  Current weight 260 lbs.  Seeking a revision to the DS.

celticfaery
on 1/1/13 6:51 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

Do you remember Beth???  She lives over there by you in Finksburg.  She's struggling too and looking into the DS revision.

She and I have talked weekly for the last few years through all our struggles together...  I wish I'd known you were out there suffering with this by yourself.  I was just there in April for my sister's wedding (they live in Sykesville).

You better keep in touch!!!  =)  I'm pming you my cell #

pippin
on 1/3/13 2:51 am - Baltimore

I do remember Beth! She lives right around the corner from me haha. It would be fantastic to have a friend near me going through this with me.  I don;t know ANYONE who has had any bariatric surgery, so my family just doesn;t get it.  My mom is especially the harshest about my weight gain. 

celticfaery
on 1/3/13 3:05 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

That stinks that people so close to you are giving you such a hard time about it...  They should be the ones lifting you up at times like these.  I'm glad you got some good responses in this thread. 

I talked to Beth yesterday and she remembers you too.  Although I recall her meeting you for lunch one day.  You were about to get married at the time...  She didn't recall, but I could be wrong.  =)    She's not on OH really anymore.  I tried dragging her back on here to respond to you, but as you can tell, we got nothing...  [email protected]  She'd love to hear from you, though!!!  Send her an email.

Have yall contacted UHC yet to inquire about the revision?

pippin
on 1/3/13 3:16 am - Baltimore

Well luckily, my husband is extremely supportive of me.  Yes, we contacted United yesterday.  

Max printed out a copy of his medical coverage from work, and within the section on inpatient services, bariatric surgery is listed. It says "in network- covered, contact bariatric resource services.  out of network- check with plan."  We called the bariatric resource center and they took my info and said they will call me back within a day or two to have me enrolled.  I honestly don't know what this means.  Does this mean I will be covered?  Does it mean the resource center will let me know if I'm covered?  I guess I will know soon.

Beth and I never met for lunch, but we had a long phone conversation at one point :)

celticfaery
on 1/3/13 3:29 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

With the Sleeve and DS (different surgeons), both were approved as in-network with no issues.  Even if you are approved out-of-network, you would still be covered, just at a lesser amount.  Normally it's 60/40% & higher deductible... whereas in-network is normally 80/20% & lower deductible.

Look at his plan paperwork and it'll outline what his out-of-network benefits are.  Either way you will be covered...  it just depends if the surgeon is approved as in-network or out-of-network.

I don't know why I thought yall had lunch... 

MsBatt
on 1/1/13 7:44 am

Have you read this thread? http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4416773/quotDoes-the- Patient-Fail-the-Procedure-or-Does-the/

Given that you started out with a BMI of 60, I'm thinking the DS would have been a better choice for you from the start. Most of us who become SMO just plain absorb more than 'normal' people do, and we need malabsorption to maintain a significant weight loss. I certainly knew that I would, so I went with the full DS.

The DS is superior to the RNY for many reasons, and one BIG one is the Sleeved stomach. You already know all the advantages of keeping your pylorus and a fully-functional stomach, so I won't go into those. The RNY has very minimal malabsorption of calories, and that pretty much ends by 18-24 months post-op---but the malabsorption of vitamins and minerals is forever. Around 18-24 months post-op is also when many, many RNYers notice they no longer have the sort of restriction they had in the beginning, making it easier to eat more food at the same time that malabsorption goes away and they need to start eating LESS food, just to maintain. Sucks.

Most DSers can eat anything, meaning that we have very few food intolerances. Some people find that refined carbs cause lots of gas, and certainly excessive simple carbs will cause anyone to gain weight. We eat a high-protein, high-fat, moderate-carb diet, of around 2500-3000 calories a day. We eat lots of well-marbled meats, bacon, sausage, seafood, nuts, cheeses, butter, cream---rich, fatty foods that are also high in protein.

I'm 9 years post-op, and couldn't be happier with my DS.I do have some restriction, but trust me---I can and do eat enough food that without the permanent malabsorption of the DS I'd be packing on the pounds.

pippin
on 1/3/13 2:52 am - Baltimore

I did read that thread.  Thank you for the link, MsBatt.  I think I was fooling myself when I got the VSG.  I thought I wouldn't need the malabsorption, and I do. However, I don;t regret having my VSG, because it got me to where I am.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 319 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views