Donating blood

clutterbunny
on 2/1/13 9:03 am - CA

Will I ever be able to donate blood again?  I'm 1 pint from 2 gallons.  I'm a total wuss about blood so this has always been my personal challenge...

Valerie G.
on 2/1/13 9:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Sorry - no blood donation ever again.  It's too hard on our iron levels.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jdh973
on 2/1/13 10:38 am - Bedford, IA

Would'nt you be able to donate if you were to increase your iron intake the day you donate ? Also would not women have to be more concerned about their iron levels than men ?

larra
on 2/1/13 11:02 am - bay area, CA

An extra dose or 2 or 3 would not remotely compensate for the amount of iron in a pint of blood. No, that won't work. This is just one of those things we have to accept. I also used to donate blood. No more.

Larra

larra
on 2/1/13 9:51 am - bay area, CA

sorry, but no. Some Ds'ers even need iron infusions down the line. You need to hang on to all the iron you can.

Larra

clutterbunny
on 2/1/13 10:14 am - CA
That's too bad. But I understand. Thanks!

clutterbunny
on 2/1/13 1:54 pm - CA
I've always been hit and miss with anemia anyway. Jusy frustrating. i guess I'll have to do my social duty some other way.

larra
on 2/2/13 1:05 am - bay area, CA

Good thinking! There are so many possibilities I'm sure you'll find something that suits you.

Larra

airbender
on 2/2/13 7:49 am

Yes  you can donate as a DSer, I think you are asking if you can donate whole blood, that is not advised as a DSer.  you can be a pheresis donor, granulocytes or platelets, are fine.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

clutterbunny
on 2/2/13 11:26 am - CA
I've been told my veins aren't good enough for platelets.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 299 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 771 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 256 views