Anyone else suffering from bad headaches?

robertabreton
on 2/11/13 1:41 pm - WA

I have  suffered from migraines since childhood. I thought they were under control until recently. I've had a nearly unremitting headache since Friday (its Monday pm). My neurologist retired  few years ago. Today I  got a referral frm my sister (a neurologist in Minn.) and called for an app (and who knows how llong to get in ?) However, I'm wondering if there is some connection between the ds diet & these debilitating headaches. They've come as I have lowered carbs and increased fats. Carbs are precursors to seretonin which helps prevent migraines. Also, my surgeon changed my propholactic med from depakote ER, which is specially formulated  migraine and keeps the levels steady for 24 hours, to depakote dr which wears off during the nite. He explained   ER form isn't good for dsers. unfortunately,  my emergency break thru headache med (which is like  blast of seratonin) is not working either. I am at my wits end. Eating too many carbs because they give temporary relief. No good for gas or wt loss.

Any ideas out there? Similar experiences? I just dont know what to do. i cant even think straight.

NYer
on 2/11/13 2:49 pm

Awww, I feel so badly for you!  My dh gets migraines and they are deblitating.  :(

What kind of carbs are you eating?  All carbs are not created equal, as you know.  Do you notice more headaches after you eat gluten, by any chance?  Or dairy or refined sugar?  

Can you try eating your carbs in the form of fruit, veggies and legumes instead of processed wheat and sugar?

I honestly don't know if that will help, but it might be worth a try.

So sorry for your pain.

NYer
on 2/11/13 2:55 pm

One more thing I read while researching food allergies/intolerances:

It might take weeks or even months to get the offending food out of your system.  Gluten can take 6 months to clear out of your system.

So, just because you go off dairy/sugar/gluten, you might continue to experience migraines for a while.  

On a more encouraging note, my son was symptom-free in 2 weeks.

robertabreton
on 2/11/13 3:09 pm - WA

Unfortunately it's the bad carbs that help the most, or maybe the most quickly. I have to avoid a lot of foods, as they trigger migraines. No nitrates, fermented food, no aged cheese, nothing with tyrosine, caffeine, msg etc. And lots more. 

Valerie G.
on 2/11/13 9:34 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

In effort for keeping very low carb, have you been eating much of any artificial sweeteners?  There are some that are very sensitive to aspartame, for instance.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

robertabreton
on 2/11/13 11:57 pm - WA

No. I am very careful about avoiding nutrasweet.  I'm also careful to avoid ultra pasturized milk. They use a natural form of msg. I strongly suspect that it's due to the changes to my meds.

A. C
on 2/12/13 8:25 am

I have had increased headaches - I don't think they have been Migraines.  I only had one migraine in the year before surgery.

I was wondering this same thing.  I can't figure out a trigure.  I'm gluten free. 

If you figure out anything, please let us know!

Best of luck to you!

robertabreton
on 2/12/13 8:49 am - WA

I see a neurologist soon. I hope he will be a good detective. I'll let you know.

J G.
on 2/12/13 2:29 pm

roberta, awww...sorry you are going thru this. I used to have a problem with migraines -with aura-I took meds for a while.  I think mine must have been hormone related.  I still get sinus headaches and sometimes they become all day events which have some of the old migraine tendencies.  I know what you mean about not thinking straight.  Frustrating, isn't it.  What kind of carb things do you eat that give you temporary relief?

robertabreton
on 2/13/13 1:57 am - WA

The carbs that give relief are the bad carbs like popcorn, scones, rice, potatoes, etc. I've been good about not eating them, but may try some before going to emergency for a shot of demerol. I woke up with a very bad  this am and nothing helps.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 713 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1019 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 341 views