High blood sugar?

poisonring9
on 3/6/13 2:57 pm

I have been on my preop diet for a week.  It is 800 calories a day, 6 special meals.  I am allowed bars, shakes, pastas, soups, and puddings but they are al specially formulated by my surgeon.  However, I have been having high blood sugar.  I had it before, but it should have gone down with my diet change.  Does anyone know why my blood sugar is 140-180 2 hours after eating a high protein low carb diet??

(deactivated member)
on 3/6/13 10:43 pm, edited 3/6/13 10:51 pm

No sugar at all in the bars or drinks? Splenda? Mannitol, sorbitol and xylito? I have read that in SOME diabetics Splenda has been known to cause spikes. 

I am not sure exactly how but I have heard that stress can cause sugar spikes and going on a new diet just before surgery is stressful. =)

I would certainly ask your Doc though if you are worried.

southernlady5464
on 3/6/13 10:50 pm

I am allowed bars, shakes, pastas, soups, and puddings but they are al specially formulated by my surgeon.

Most of those would send MINE sky high...and they were probably formulated to be low fat. To make something low fat they have to make it sweeter somehow, even if it's with artificial sugars (which, depending on which one, can cause blood sugar rise to!)

NO way pasta is low carb unless you are using spaghetti squash in it's place.

Read the labels carefully. I suspect there are more carbs there than they admit!. And count all carbs not just net carbs. ALL carbs will affect most of us with blood sugar issues.

Oh, and for reference, here is a link to normal blood sugar readings: http://diabetes.webmd.com/blood-glucose?page=3

Remember, your age IS a factor. For me, 2 hours after as long as I am below 150, I am in normal range.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

poisonring9
on 3/7/13 6:53 am

I looked through the ingredients and discovered sucralose in the oatmeals, Sweetened Condensed Skim Milk, Sugar, and Palm Kernel Oil in the bars, and 33 g carbs in the pasta.  Now, we are only allowed one pasta per day and its the only thing with a number of carbs.  They said we have to have SOME to get our energy from, 30-60g per day.  When I eat one pasta per day I am not getting in 60 g total because their other products only have a few carbs each.  I dont see why a bariatric surgeon would add all this sugar when most of the patients are diabetic.  This is so frusterating.

southernlady5464
on 3/7/13 7:07 am

Oh, Lord...just saw you are in my area and using the partner to my surgeon.

I avoided using their products altogether...partly because I was so close to a 35 BMI that Boyce did not want me to lose ANY weight.

Yeah, their products are NOT blood sugar friendly. I've looked at it.

I know you aren't given much option but be forewarned...the products are NOT the best for those of us who are diabetic.

Oatmeal has carbs, sweetened condensed milk has carbs (sugars).

To be honest, the ONLY carbs you really need are from vegetables, green type (except for peas).

Add up all the carbs you eat per day...every single one. Count the oatmeal, the protein bars, etc. If you are exceeding 50 per day (net) or about 75 per day (all of them), you are eating too many for most diabetics.

And while Boyce and Williams are great cutters, their nutrional info is severely lacking. I just nod my head and do what I know is best for me.

I am here in Knoxville. Email me at southernlady5464 at gmail dot com.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

poisonring9
on 3/7/13 7:31 am

Unfortunately I just bought a bunch of products from them.  I wonder if, since the surgery will reduce my blood sugar, eating their products after the surgery will still have these effects on it?  I will keep track of the carbs and try to minimize them as much as possible.  The dr just put me on a blood sugar pill today so maybe that will help control it presurgery.  Did you have a good experience with Boyce?  Im worried about the surgery, its in 2 weeks.  I am afraid of the post surgery hospital stay.  Did it go well for you?  Also, since you dont use their products what did you drink postsurgery in phase 1... any protein shakes?

southernlady5464
on 3/7/13 7:55 am

Yes, I have had a good experience with Boyce. I was "too small" for Williams to even consider the DS for me even tho I was on an NSAID.

Post surgery isn't that bad. When I had mine, they were at Parkwest not Tennova. I actually had an easy time of it...was home soon enough. Make sure you have a pillow in the car for the ride home.

As to what I used, I had a LOT of protein samples from Vitalady since your tastes change after surgery. And I stuck with whey protein isolate. NOT Concentrate or Blend! I also use HER list for vitamins and ignore the nut...I followed the advice of the vets here. When I have my appts with them, I just smile and nod...and then do what works best for me.

I am a type 2 diabetic and was on an insulin pump...the nurse at Boyce's office told me to leave my pump at home that I would not need it...unfortunately for her I did not listen and wore my pump INTO surgery on half basel rate...turns out, I needed to stay on my insulin pump for almost 2 weeks AFTER surgery. While they tell you the effect is "immediate" it isn't always and depends a LOT on how long you have been diabetic and how bad it is.

As for what I ate at home, I mainly used protein shakes made with water and beef broth, jello, popsicles, etc. They also sugges****ered down fruit juice...I used cranberry juice and made it with 6 cans of water instead of the suggested 3.

Liz

poisonring9
on 3/7/13 8:14 am

I have a brand of whey called Designer Whey that tastes good and I can get it locally.  It looks pretty good I think. 

I am concerned about the gas pains also.  But they say just get up and walk and rock on your chair to help that.  How long did it take you to get back to work or normal activities?  I am in school right now and Im trying to figure out how many classes I will miss.  I have one class a week, and the surgery is the day after my class, so I will already have about a week to rest.  Its just sitting, so Im thinking I might only miss one class. 

southernlady5464
on 3/7/13 10:14 pm

Concerning the gas pains...walking, rocking while sitting, having someone rub your back...and GASX!!! All help but it can take time to work it's way out. Some do better than others.

As to how long....expect to miss at least the first class after your surgery and maybe even two. I had an open hysterectomy years ago while going to school...was not able to go back to work til I was six weeks out but was able to go back to school at three weeks after surgery. To be honest, my brain was mush from the anesthesia for the first week...I do not remember that week well.

While the surgery is usually done lap (they do tell you that they can do open IF needed in the paperwork you sign), and outside may be healed fairly quickly, your insides have been severely "mangled" and abused and cut on...it takes up to 3 months for that to really truly heal! Walking will be a major effort for probably two weeks and maybe a month. If you do go back to school at three weeks, make sure you do NOT carry anything heavier than 5 lbs...that meant I had to have a luggage cart for all my stuff cause I could not carry it. I would get with your instructors and get someone to either record or take extremely good notes for the classes you will miss...

I was close to three months out before I got back to really normal...

Liz

Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 15 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 15 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1092 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1268 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 519 views