what vitamins do u take?

gwen41502
on 4/12/13 2:59 am

some dont take any but those that do please tell me what u take i want to get some :) also list other supplements u take like biotin etc thanks

P. Poster
on 4/12/13 3:09 am

I seriously hope there arent any DSers out there that dont take any vitamins/supplements.  They wont be around for long if so :(  Vitamins are NON-NEGOTIABLE with the DS.  They are for life.  You are trading morbid obesity for malnutrition, which can be fatal if not treated.  Dead serious.

That said- many DSers have found Vitalady to provide the strengths and formulas we need to use postop, plus there is the added bonus that shes been there done that with WLS and knows what it takes to be successful.  And well, its nice to support your mom & pop places instead of big pharma.  www.vitalady.com.  She even had premade packs for each surgery and her plans are well detailed.  OH- her prices are also better than most Ive found.  Bonus :)

beemerbeeper
on 4/12/13 4:06 am - AL

Some don't take any?  Let's hope not.

I take DRY A, D, E and K1 and K2

Calcium, Magnesium Citrate, Potassium 6-7 doses a day

I also take Vitamin C and a Multi vitamin (like Centrum)

I take B12 and a B Complex.

That's why my memory has on hand.  There is probably somehting I forgot.

And you MUST get enought protein for without enough protein your body can't process the vitamins.  Most people supplement protein with shakes or protein coffees.

southernlady5464
on 4/12/13 4:16 am

I sure hope there aren't any taking none...they are on the slow track to death.

However, with that said, AFTER you've had your surgery and get labs to look at, tweak according to your labs.

I probably take fewer than most but 1) I tweaked with vitalady's help and 2) based it on my last set of labs.

My current regimen:

3 multi's

2 fiber

1 citracal (working my way to three again)

2 50K Dry D3 (total of 100K a day)

One K

1 Proferrin ES

A generic PPI

And a probiotic.

I'm also over 2 years out now.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

allegedlylisa
on 4/12/13 7:16 am

2 Multivites

2 Calcium

2000 IU Vit D

Potassium (I got the effervescent kind)

Probiotic with fiber

Protonix (okay, so it's not a vitamin kiss)

I haven't had to do A D E K or Iron or B vitamins yet.  I have my 6-month labs coming up in a couple weeks, so I'll know if I'm becoming deficient in anything else shortly.

Lisa

beemerbeeper
on 4/12/13 8:27 am - AL

Oh my god.  Who told you to WAIT until you are deficient in the fat soluble vitamins BEFORE you start taking them?  You have no idea how hard it is going to be for you to bring them up when it would have been a LOT easier to keep them up or raise them from where you started.

That was bad advice that you took. 

~Becky

P. Poster
on 4/13/13 1:05 am

This is scary scary scary...  SCARY.  Who gave you these dosages and advice to wait until you are deficient?  If you say your surgeon, my head may explode.  This is NOT sufficient.  This would work for someone with a VSG, maybe a RNY, NOT for us.

Just for reference- here is what I take, after 3 YEARS of tweaking and climbing out from some deficiencies (because I used what my surgeon told me to, too).

Calcium- 2400mg per day (thats 6 pills)  

Multivitamin- 2

B-100 Complex (100mg of all the B vitamins)

150,000 (yes one hundred fifty THOUSAND) of DRY vitamin D

75,000 A

1000 K

800 E

24mg Proferrin Forte (prescription heme iron with folic acid)

100mg Zinc

250mg Magnesium Citrate

2000mg Vitamin C

B-12 sublingual

Im lucky that I seem to absorb quite a bit from the multi- and therefore, I dont need extra Copper, Potassium, or anything else.  In any case, what I *started* on was much more comprehensive than what you are on now, and within 3 months my labs were tanking.  Not all of them, but they were declining, some at a scary rate- and it was enough to make me change what I was taking.  Ive fought a D and calcium deficiency for YEARS (even preop) and it is very very very hard to keep those up for me now.  Even with mild sun bed use and extra Calcium and high levels of Vitamin D.  

Please dont wait to be deficient....  There is NO reason to put your body through that.  Especially while you are still trying to heal.

jashley
on 4/12/13 8:12 am
DS on 12/19/12

3 centrums or kirkland multis

2400 mg of calcium (4)

1800 of Magnesium citrate (3)

1800 mg of biotin (3)

B complex sublingual (2 big swigs)

B12  chews (3)

iron - 1 tender and 4 proferrin

vit c, 1000 mg

50K of D

25K of A

No E or K yet.  There are probably others but this is off the top of my head.  It feels like I take a lot of pills. 

Vicki PNW
on 4/13/13 1:46 am

I don't know of any DSer who doesn't take any vitamins at all.  But I have heard of those who become complacent on taking them.  Here is what I take daily:

multivitamin (store brand of Silver Centrum)

10K IU Dry Vitamin A

400 IU Dry Vitamin E

50K IU Dry Vitamin D3

1.5K mg Calcium Citrate (6 500 mg caps)

Acidophilus with Psyllium (probiotics)

I buy my multivitamins at Walgreens and the Vitamin D3 from Vitalady.  The rest are bought at the nearby Vitamin Shoppe.  If there is no Vitamin Shoppe store in your area, then their products may be ordered online.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 381 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 831 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 272 views