Educate me.

jim1969
on 4/27/13 12:32 am - Lakewood, WI

Why is it important to eat your protein first? How much protein,fat,and carbs per day?

jashley
on 4/27/13 2:44 am
DS on 12/19/12

You are not going to be able to eat a lot of food, for a long time.  So if you put anything between your lips, it should be protein.  You will have to work on getting enough protein in every day, so don't waste the opportunity to get that in by eating a banana.

Also, eating carbs will cause you gastric distress.  So eating protein and a little bit of veggies should be the only thing passing through your lips anyway.

jim1969
on 4/27/13 8:06 am - Lakewood, WI

Well that makes sense. Thanks

jashley
on 4/28/13 5:11 am, edited 4/28/13 5:13 am
DS on 12/19/12

Wow.  I thought some old timers would chime in for you - but I guess not.  I answered the first question.

How much protein,fat,and carbs per day?

There are many different theories on this.  I followed the 30, 60, 90 rule.  This is 30 grams of protein within 30 days of surgery, 60 grams of protein within 60 days of surgery, and 90 grams by 3 months. 

I calculate the amount of protein I need by .8 x weight=protein in grams from there on out.  I weigh 170.  So 170X.8=136 grams of protein. 

Carbs:  bad.  I've read eat less than 100 per day.  Personally, I can't do that many carbs.  I keep mine under 25 per day.  Your mileage may vary.  Start at 50 carbs per day and when you stop losing for longer than a month (30 days without any weight loss), drop your carbs by 5 every week till you start to lose again. 

Fat: eat as much as you can.  Fat does not get turned into fat cells.  For the most part, your body does not use it for fuel either.  It makes you feel full, it satisfies your cravings/hunger, and it helps keeps things moving on the south end (if you get my meaning).  Do not give yourself diarrhea by eating too much fat - that brings on a slew of other problems.  Try to get fat in every day.  Your skin, hair and nails will thank you.

As a DSer, you will malabsorb fat by 80%.  So only 20% of the fat you eat will be used by your body.  Protein is roughly 50% malabsorbed, carbs are pretty much 0% malabsorbed.  So half of the protein and calories of that steak you are eating are actually going to count towards your daily totals - the other half just goes through you.  80% of the fat on that steak goes right though you.  The calories and carbs of that baked potato will count 100% - your body will break down and utilize almost 100% of the carbs you eat (especially simple carbs - never eat these). 

So focus on your proteins first, your fats second, and low carb veggies last.  If you have room after all that, then a bite of a carb is OK.  Personally, I don't do carbs.  When I eat them, I just crave more of them.  If I go 2 weeks without them, and eat very clean, the cravings go away.  I also feel better, have no divorce causing gas, and mentally come out of the 'carb fog'.  My carbs are from cheese, veggies, and sauces/chicken breading.

Hope this has answered your questions.  Don't hesitate to post questions on this board.  There are a lot of veterans who are very helpful here.

southernlady5464
on 4/28/13 7:39 am

Jashley answered your question.

I will say that the reason for protein first is to make sure you get enough in before adding carbs and fat...but adding fat to your protein works well too.

Basics on malabsorption (and each one of us is different enough to make this an individual effort).

About 20% of fat is absorbed, 60% of protein and COMPLEX carbs, and 100% of sugar based carbs.

A normal functioning human needs a minimum of 30 grams of fat a day (bottom minimum, YMMV). 20% of 30 grams is only 5 grams...to get a full 30 grams, you need to eat about 150 grams.

I count ALL carbs not just net carbs so I keep mine about 100 grams a day. But then, I have type 2 diabetes (even resolved) and all carbs affect my blood sugar so I don't do the math required to figure net carbs...I just count them all.

Early on, protein shakes are the main way to get your protein in...many can do it with just food later on (2/3 + years out) but there are many who will always need shakes to get in enough.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

jim1969
on 4/29/13 12:46 am - Lakewood, WI

Thanks ladies.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 274 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 748 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views