Okay, one more question...

Lynda D.
on 5/21/13 8:35 am

I've read here where people have had a variety of problems post surgery, and and they stated that the problem existed before their surgery. For instance, I read here not too long ago where a woman said she was having some unusual problems with iron anemia, and that the problems existed before her surgery, just in a more mild form. 

So my question is about poop, to be blunt. I've read where there might be issues with diarrhea and gas after a DS. Well, I have severe constipation. SEVERE. Like, I only go two to four times a month! Now, I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the fact that I've been hypothyroid since 2009, and that problem is almost solved, thank God. I also have some motility issues.

I'm hoping that when (It's looking like the if part of this decision to have surgery is being made for me, via my liver), I do this surgery, my bowel issues will trend towards normal — less constipation without the diarrhea. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Lynda

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

jzwife
on 5/21/13 3:31 pm
I was constipated before surgery and would have a BM maybe every other day (nothing like your problem) but now I find myself in the bathroom 4-5 times early in the morning and several times thru- out the day so no issues for me and I believe a lot of people early out have the same issues. I am hoping it will settle down after awhile! Gas can be terrible- especially if you eat something that does not agree with the DS and you could be in the bathroom ALL day not knowing if its going to be gas or diarrhea!
J G.
on 5/21/13 3:51 pm

Lynda, what steps do you take now for your constipation, specifically?

Lynda D.
on 5/22/13 8:57 am

My doctor started me on Miralax a few days ago, but mostly I think my bowel issues will ease up once I get my thyroid problem under control. That's my hope anyway. 

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

PattyL
on 5/22/13 1:18 am

My H had similar issues with extreme constipation.  He had the DS for diabetes back in 2004 and was never constipated again.  He had a really short 50cm CC.  That was one of the things he loved about his DS.

JazzyOne9254
on 5/22/13 9:27 am

As long as you stay away from simple carbs (white flour products)  and simple sugars (white sugar and syrups made from any form of white sugar) your should be good to *not* go or toot!

These things can sneak in with prepared foods, though, and  it's  trial-and-error there. Some of them may bother you, some  may not.  YMMV.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 298 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 770 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views