Should I have had DS?

MellaYella
on 7/20/13 9:01 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 06/05/13
I had RNY June 5th. I don't remember ever hearing about DS til now. At the seminar they talked about lap band, gastric sleeve and RNY. (And maybe plication, not sure).

I have 270 lbs to lose and am wondering if I had the right surgery. What I am seeing here is that DS has the greatest rate of maintaining weight loss, especially for those like me who have so much to lose.

Plus when i see now that there was an alternative to no NSAID for the rest of my life im kind of upset. I have recurring neck and back problems that don't get much relief from tylenol etc.

Any thoughts?
~~Sami~~ *.
on 7/20/13 11:17 am - Jacksonville, FL

With that much weight to lose, yes, you probably would have been better served with a DS.  The reason your surgeon didn't talk about it is he doesn't perform it.  In fact, I can't think of one surgeon in Florida who does.  Gagner used to be in Miami Beach but that was a few years ago.

Best thing you can do is to maximize your RNY.  It might work for you.  Eggface has a great blog with tips, etc.    Vitalady is a great resource for vitamins, protein shakes, etc.

If down the line you end up needing a revision to a DS, note that you will have to travel out of state, and it's complicated.  I doubt a surgeon would be willing to try a revision at this stage.  Would have been easier had you had the sleeve, could do it in 6 months or a year, but not much to do about that right now.  

Sorry can't offer more help/advice.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

MellaYella
on 7/20/13 11:23 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 06/05/13
Thanks Sami. When I check my dr's page on OH, DS is listed. Maybe he just doesn't offer it anymore. I think he did an awesome job but just wish I had known there was another option.
Irishnurse
on 7/20/13 4:13 pm
DS on 04/17/13

For your size I would so DS!

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

MajorMom
on 7/20/13 8:10 pm - VA

Your surgeon probably doesn't do the DS so will never recommend it.  So sad. They should give patients all the options.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

airbender
on 7/21/13 9:33 am

congrats on getting wls....i think it is a very personal issue...at seminars the conversation is only centered around what your surgeon offers....why would they discuss something else....buyer beware, wls are in it to make a living, losing you as a client is costly.  270 lbs is a significant amount of weight to lose, i lost 200+lbs with the lap band.  stick to what you chose, do the best you can with your tool, there are many successful rnyers, quality of life may be a different question.  taking nsaids on a pouch is a no no....if after 1.5-2 yrs you are not where you wanted to be...you may look into a revision...wishing you only the best

JazzyOne9254
on 7/21/13 9:51 am, edited 7/21/13 9:52 am

MellaYella-

Usually, if the facility doesn't offer that surgical option, they don't talk about it in their seminars or  pre-op classes.

Most of us on the DS board found out about the DS through our own research of  WLS.  I lucked out and actually met two people who are DSer's about ten years before I got mine!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

PattyL
on 7/21/13 10:28 am

Well, you got what you got and best thing you can do is work it hard.  There are people who have been successful with all the surgery types.  Just be one of them!  WLS is like buying a car.  The Nissan salesperson isn't going to tell you about the new Toyota that would be perfect for you.  It's all about the money.

Robin1222
on 7/22/13 11:43 pm - Leominster, MA
Hope is not lost. I had my ray on July 7 1999. I lost the first 80 pds with little effort other than food and sligh****er exercising. Now for the tough stuff. You will have to dedicate yourself to 3/4 hours daily exercising (in my expeience) I waked, hiked, got a job bar tending and waiting table so I actually got paid to walk for yrs. On my days off I did all he un things we hope we can do if we were just normal size. I reached my goal of 163 18 months out. I lost 233 pds and it was through life style and the support of my rny. It is possible to get it done and with each successful milestone it will push you on if you know where you want to be. Keeping weight off not as easy but it can be done. Good luck.
Valerie G.
on 8/3/13 4:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

A DS would have definitely been recommended to you by a surgeon who actually performs the DS procedure (there are none in Florida).  Don't fret, though. This is not Walmart where you can just return the red shirt because the blue one looks better on you. Give your RNY the best shot you have for success.  Many make it to goal with RNY.  A higher stat holds true or the DS, but I wouldn't call you a lost cause any time soon.  You still have a tool that has given you an edge you can't get on your own.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1082 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1253 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 512 views