Question about gas/BM's following procedure

LTLPIXY
on 11/3/13 6:02 am
I'm considering revising from RNY to DS, but some people have me scared about the gas and sudden urgency to go immediately following a meal. I don't always have access to a restroom right away because of my job, and if it's a constant thing, I fear it won't be worth it. If it's something that takes time and figuring out what you can eat without having loose stool ... I can do that! Any help would be much appreciated!!!
kathy215
on 11/3/13 7:44 am
Hi.
Don't let that scare you from having the DS revision. I will be 3 years out this Feb and I never have had an accident, sure in the beginning you go more and they are loose stools but that improves in time.

Good luck in whatever you choose. I would do it all over again.
I lost 200 pounds

Kathy
kathy215
on 11/3/13 7:47 am
Oh and the gas can be absolutely horrendous at times. Worse if I eat too many carbs, but again I would do it
all over again you will learn ( at least for me) when it's ok to pass gas and when you need to pass gas on the toilet

Kathy
Irishnurse
on 11/3/13 8:10 am
DS on 04/17/13

The poop part is managable. The gas part is too. The only time I get gas is when I eat sugar. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

fullhousemom
on 11/3/13 8:34 pm
I think most will agree that gas and bm's are a direct result of what you eat and your vitamin intake.

If you keep to a good eating plan, your urgency to go will happen in the morning (whether you want to get out of bed or not). Sleeping in on a weekend morning is history for me, but no big deal. Physical activity, or just getting myself ready for work in the morning, seems to stimulate things to move. I'm good for the rest of the day.

That said, if I eat pizza, white flour, too many nacho chips or cookies, then yes....I may have a bm in the afternoon, and will definitely have gas. Thus, if I choose to indulge in some of those things, I make sure I'm home the next day.

In the end, you can control those things with your foods and vitamins. Eat problem foods, and you will suffer!
hollykim
on 11/4/13 1:20 am, edited 11/6/13 2:18 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I agree with fullhousemom. If I am not on plan meaning no to little sugar even sugar alcohols,wheat flour products,candy,etc. I am going to Have stinky gas and loose bm' maybe more than once a day.

If I am Not eating off plan,then I will get constipated and have to be on my bowel program every day to avoid it. It is all in our hands actually,by what we choose to consume.

If I know I am going to Have to be out early The next day,I make sure I stay on planThe day before and don't use my bowel procedure the night before. In This way,I can control my bms till it is Convenient for me to go. I will always be sure to take the bowel program that night though ,cause. I can't Afford to be off it very Long.

KellyJTn
on 11/5/13 1:37 am - Oak Ridge, TN

I only have gas when I eat certain things. It is totally manageable with some Gas-X. As far as going to the restroom, if I feel the need to go, I need to be there within a few minutes. It's definitely a stat situation. Sometimes I am literally running to the restroom. I hate that part.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

JazzyOne9254
on 11/6/13 9:46 am, edited 11/6/13 9:46 am

The worst time is immediately post op and for about a year  to two years after, while the new configuration matures.

One thing I have always done is buy the little cans of Ozium spray in the auto supply section at Walmart.  They're purse sized, and totally wipe out the smell.  Also, remember the courtesy flush in a public restroom.

The smell is a result of partially digested food. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 774 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1061 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 351 views