Looking for people who went from VSG to DS ----or not....information and advice requested

LaToya S.
on 6/10/14 3:26 am - Edwardsville, IL
I am looking to find people that that had the VSG and then revised to the DS. And yes, I really do mean "revise". I thought that I was only going to need the VSG (surgery date 11/2011) and I am now scheduled for the stage two (the switch portion) on 6/24/2014. I had lost 121 pounds and then had my gallbladder removed in 2012 and then got pregnant with my son (who is now 8 months) and I am just steadily gaining.
How was the rate of weight loss after your switch? I have read that it will not be as fast and I wonder if I am making the right decision. My surgeon thinks the switch portion of the DS will be greatly beneficial (yes I know some will say surgeons will say whatever to get the chance to operate on you) but he said with metabolic issues and how I process carbs I need the mal-absorption portion of the WLS.
I hope this is making sense. I keep contemplating canceling my surgery and trying to lose again on my own. I also think that the vitamin regimen seems very intimidating any may be scaring me a little bit. Hope to hear from some of you soon! Thanks!

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

A_Whole_New_Me
on 6/10/14 6:54 am

I am also 4 1/2 months out from my revision (Jan 23rd). As of last Thursday, I'd lost 60 pounds. I've got about 40 pounds to go. I am more than 160 pounds less than my highest weight.

I've been diabetic for half my life (& was taking more than 300 units of insulin before WLS) and needed both the endocrine benefits as well as the malabsorption. I no longer take any meds for diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholestrol.

My surgeon did slightly tighten my sleeve at the top as it was misshapen. I would ask your surgeon to check your sleeve in case it needs to be revised as well. When I was looking at the possibility of revision, it was 1 of the things most commented on (they wished they'd had their sleeve checked or revised).

As far as the supplements go... I've taken supplements for years, I just take more of them now. They are a bit of a hassle at times but they are absolutely essential with a DS. 

Good luck to you.

Tricia

nicholivolkoff
on 7/1/14 5:20 am - Canada

Hi, I had a VSG in 2009, started out at 5'3", 240 punds and went down to 150. regained 50 so decided to do a DS with DR. Gagner in Montreal. I have since gained 7 pounds, yes, gained. I had the DS last December, 2013. Don't rely on it. Get yourself moving for free. Like I should have. -Michelle

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 307 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 773 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 257 views