IBS

scaryreader
on 6/29/15 11:09 pm - Chicago, IL

Has anyone developed this since surgery?

Eve
hw:400+
sw:340
cw:163

Valerie G.
on 6/30/15 1:22 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

i've not seen many diagnosed with it post op.  It's usually something they ate more than anything else.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

bigmikebigfoothunter
on 7/3/15 7:14 am
DS on 03/10/14

Absolutely! I have been wandering if anyone else has been diagnosed with this on the board. I am a year and a half out. The biggest reason I haven't posted much about my condition is because my appendix ruptured in January and I almost died. Long story short I suffer bad from IBS now and have one dr out of a team of many that thinks is my DS. My surgeon who did my DS doesn't think so and I don't either . Before my appendix ruptured I was having some constipation and rectal pain wich ended up being a fissure . Anyway the good news is I weighed 478 pounds and now 214 but the bad news is haven't found any doctor yet that can help with my IBS because none of them understand the DS. I live in constant abdominal pain and 6 months after my appendix ruptured can't even hardly drive everything in my intestinal tract hurts and bowel movements are all over the place. I've kinda had to become my own advocate with the doctors. Last week they removed my gallbladder that was supposed to help, I think I'm worse now. Anyway I wake up everyday and smile and pray somehow I will be healed of it but unfortunately I think it's here for life, Mike

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/13/15 3:25 pm

MIke, google SIBO.. IBS- may be caused by that,. I know. 

find a good gastro who knows about link between SIBO and IBS - etc. 

Mine is now controlled with very strict diet  (but it woudl be perfect for a DS) .. 

I took antibiotics for 2 week app in January and as of May 2015- FDA approves that drug (may I say - very expensive) to treat IBS..

Even my insurance had to pay for that  (with prior authorization) . 

I started having some more IBS symptoms (pain) so it is about time ...

Diet low in FODMAP, (goggle that) low fiber, etc really gave me my life back.. 

check this: 

Rifaximin is an antibiotic for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D) and IBS-related bloating. Rifaximin works by reducing or altering bacteria in the gut. In studies it has been found to improve IBS symptoms of belly pain, and diarrhea (watery or loose stools) after a 10–14 day course of treatment. It is only slightly absorbed in the gut and is generally tolerated well. Although some patients experience relief of IBS symptoms after taking a course of rifaximin, others require retreatment (up to two times with the same dosage).

FDA Approves rifaximin (Xifaxan) for Treatment of IBS-D in Adults

May 27, 2015 – The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today approved rifaximin (Xifaxan®) for treating irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D) in adult men and women. 

The safety and effectiveness of Xifaxan for treatment of IBS-D were established in three double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. In the first two trials, 1,258 patients were randomly assigned to receive Xifaxan or placebo for 14 days, and then followed for a 10-week treatment-free period. More Xifaxan-treated patients reported improvements in abdominal pain and stool consistency than those on placebo.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

bigmikebigfoothunter
on 8/13/15 4:36 pm
DS on 03/10/14

Thanks so much I'm going to immediately look into it. My condition keeps getting worse and worse!!! Thank u

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/13/15 5:13 pm

pm me if you need any info - help what worked for me... 

I am RNY - but I do eat like DS.. almost.  Low carbs - HF - are good for my condition...you may need to find what exactly works for you.. .  

paying it forward .. HUGS. 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/13/15 3:28 pm

read below.. don't want to repost...

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 320 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views