Post DS Complications 3 months later. Fainting, dumping syndome, low energy

chevtow41
on 12/27/17 8:05 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Which ones are you having problems with? As for me Iron, Calcium, Multi, and C are the big ones. D3 are small, A and K are really small, copper, zinc, and potassium are small too, and E is sort of big.

PeteA
on 12/28/17 8:12 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

That's good on the sugar.

I have to say the red still bothers me for the times I have had oil slicks red isn't the color I would ever use. I don't know how much help we would be but a pic would be OK. I really think you should cal lyour Doc about it and maybe have a pic for them.

I understand the problem with the large tablets but there are some workarounds you may want to look at. Calcium is what I consider a top priority and you can always go to a powder like Upcal-D or something small like citrical petites. You can mix the upcal in with yogurt or something that you can keep down.

Vitamins are essential to keep healthy. The malabsorption can cause deficiencies over time. Just for comparisons sake I take:

Calcium citrate 1500-2000 mg per day (3 x a day - 2 tablets each does - these are big
Vitamins A (25k), K(1k), and D(50k - twice a day) from Biotech - all moderate or small capsules
B12 - every other day - sub lingual
k2 - sub lingual
magnesium citrate, vitamin C, probiotic, Zinc, and copper

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

livecity
on 12/29/17 10:25 am

I think i figured out the mystery of my red colored poop. Yesterday one of the things i had was grilled sausage in tomato sauce. I don't think its blood after all. I think its tomato sauce. I eat tomato sauce along with sausage and meatballs a few times a week. I think this is what it is. mystery solved. i hope. is that typical for tomato sauce to not digest? should i post picture?

Valerie G.
on 12/27/17 11:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My fainting was associated to low BP combined with low sodium. I was always low on BP, so increasing the sodium stopped my fainting. It doesn't sound like your problem, but given your frequent liquid BMs, I'd next look to dehydration. It's good that you can drink 2 Liters, but know that most of us accomplish this by lunchtime. If you're having continued diarrhea, you may require more. If it's low sugar, you can eat protein more frequently (like every 2 hours) to prevent that.

It doesn't sound like you're dumping at all. The toilet thing is normal the first several months. Soon, it should get to once daily and the occasion bonus poop. The oil stuff happened for me the first couple of years, and it stopped without fanfare. My poop is regulary loose and sometimes watery. Doing a shot of raw apple-cider vinegar (with the mother) will get it like a thick paste consistency with lower odor. I do this every couple of days.

I was one that gave patches a good nine months to see how they worked. They did not absorb like I'd hoped. I found myself short on A, D, Calcium and Iron. I give them no more value than a double-dose of Centrum since I would have to take extra supplements afterall....and believe me, a Centrum equivalent is MUCH cheaper. I also highly recommend 50k iu of dry D too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

livecity
on 12/27/17 7:19 pm

my blood pressure is normal and my sodium as of my last blood work is actually high (147). i dont think the fainting is due to the Blood pressure. i have no idea what it is. The mexicali bariatric center got back to me and they said it could be due to the electrolytes in my body being released after i poo. and this causes me to be fatigued afterwards and faint. it could be why since it does happen in the mornings and the first thing i do in the morning is poop. they recommend me to see a gastroenterologist.

Maybe it is dehydration. I wish i can drink more than 2 liters of water but its hard. Am i suppose to drink and sip every few minutes? how do i make this workable?

It's not blood sugar as i got a glucose monitor this week and all my levels are normal and within range.

sorry to hear about your patches. i hope they work for me, i cant stomach taking large vitamins as i vomit them out. i cant imagine taking 3 different pills 3 times a day. im only short on vitamin D and b6. i hope the patches can make those 2 work for me.

Valerie G.
on 12/28/17 5:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Okay, so here's the funny thing. Doc suggested electrolites - sodium is an electrolite. Drinking is a full-time job at first. I swear I had a cup surgically attached to me as part of the procedure.

To take pills, try this method:

1. Fill mouth with liquid (as much as you're able to swallow) and tilt head back.
  2. Drop pills in
  3. Swallow

You barely feel anything at all. I taught my son to swallow pills this way when he was only 4 and never had to chase him through the house with a spoon again. Vitamin D (even the mega doses we take) is the teeniest tiniest pill, too. Do everything you can to get used to pills, because I have serious doubts the patches will do the trick. We had a Facebook page of DSers trying the patch to compare notes, and we disbanded after 18 months with the consensus that they aren't working. Theoretically they should have, but left us disappointed.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Janet P.
on 12/28/17 7:37 am

Yes, you should be sipping all day long. Never leave home withou****er. Carry it with you constantly and sip sip sip. I take my morning vitamins with 32 ounces of water (first 16 ounces is for fiber and the second 16 oz is for my vitamins). I drink 4C Sugar Free beverages (mixed with 16 ounces of water). I am never without my water bottle. During the day I aim to drink a minimum of an additional 48 ounces, and that doesn't include coffee.

I take on average 30 vitamins a day (12 calcium + 6 devrom + 3D3 + 3K1 + 2K2 + 1A + 1E + Mag + Zinc + Copper - and I'm sure one or two I've forgotten). I take vitamins 3 times per day (morning, noon, and dinner), every day. Also take fiber and a probiotic every morning. Notice though I don't take any medications. Only vitamins. I'm 60 years old and had my DS almost 15 years ago. I struggle with iron and get fairly regular infusions and also suffer from osteoporosis, but that could be genetics.

You may need to learn how to take vitamins as I would be really surprised if your numbers say consistent with the patches). I've never known anyone in my 15+ years on these boards having success with patches only. Valerie had some good suggestions on the "how". Most of the pills are small - unfortunately the calcium are pretty damned big - the petite Citracal aren't strong enough - would have to take too many. Always check "serving size" when it comes to calcium. Most of the others are small capsules (that you could even open up if needed). The key to taking vitamins are you must take all your vitamins in "dry" form - AEDK are typically oil-based but you need to see out dry - available on Amazon.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

livecity
on 1/1/18 12:56 pm

great advice thank you.

Sunshine16
on 12/31/17 5:43 pm

How many Mulit Vitamins do you take. It seem like when I,exercise my sugar drop. I get nausea, and weak...do you have some suggestions on prevention this....do you,feel some way if you,get dehydrated?

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

livecity
on 1/2/18 2:16 pm

So for the past week I've been testing my blood glucose level with the meter. And ive been doing it 3-4 times a day.

When waking up or fasting before a meal. It's been averaging around 70-90.

After a meal, it's been averaging around 100-130.

However today after eating it's now showing 168.

I waited 10 minutes and re-did it and it went down to 158.

Should i be worried?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 408 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 851 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 275 views