5 days post surgery DS

ingrid25305
on 12/9/18 12:21 pm
DS on 12/04/18

So I've made it 5 days... I must be doing something so wrong cause I feel like I'm starving. Recovery from the surgery was rough the first 2 days so much nausea and pain. I think I have managed to avoid these now. I tolerate most liquids well and am now in the full liquid stages but I'm struggling so much I go from being ok to starving like i wanna eat a 12oz steak. I have to admit I have cheated some the other night i just couldn't get any rest cause I was so hungry I ate 3 saltine crackers. This morning I ate 5 Cheerios while I served my kids breakfast. My mom tried making me a cream of chicken soup but one single spoonful is painful in my belly. Has anyone gone through this? Should I just advance myself? The protein shakes are not cutting it I can only have half before I feel full but it only last a short time.

TIA everyone

PattyL
on 12/9/18 12:34 pm

Give your stomach and guts time to recover. At least a few more days. Drink the half shake and then drink the other half. The idea is not to push yourself to eat MORE. The idea is to heal and not challenge your guts with too much to process too soon!

ingrid25305
on 12/9/18 8:23 pm
DS on 12/04/18

Thanks right now I'm feeling thr affects of too much too soon. I just have to slow down. Thanks for the support.

hollykim
on 12/10/18 6:04 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 9, 2018 at 8:21 PM Pacific Time, ingrid25305 wrote:

So I've made it 5 days... I must be doing something so wrong cause I feel like I'm starving. Recovery from the surgery was rough the first 2 days so much nausea and pain. I think I have managed to avoid these now. I tolerate most liquids well and am now in the full liquid stages but I'm struggling so much I go from being ok to starving like i wanna eat a 12oz steak. I have to admit I have cheated some the other night i just couldn't get any rest cause I was so hungry I ate 3 saltine crackers. This morning I ate 5 Cheerios while I served my kids breakfast. My mom tried making me a cream of chicken soup but one single spoonful is painful in my belly. Has anyone gone through this? Should I just advance myself? The protein shakes are not cutting it I can only have half before I feel full but it only last a short time.

TIA everyone

instead of eating off plan,drink more of what is allowed. If you drink half a shake now, when you feel hungry/ empty,drink the other half. When you feel that way again,drink another half,then more.

Eating off plan is not going to help. Those carbs you ate only increase hunger.

chevtow41
on 12/10/18 7:50 am
DS on 11/11/14

Cheerios aren't a good choice at any time. Many "cream" soups will cause you issues and have too many carbs

mrsrcovington
on 12/24/18 7:18 pm
DS on 12/01/18

Hi I'm 6 days out now. I had such pain with gas in pouch that just 2 of proteins and 3 waters hurt like crazy.. I lied to get out of hospital because they wanted 5 hours in a row of this and I could only do three. All other things were great and ahead of track they said.

I feel your pain on food though. . I'm hungry off and on now but able to get 32 of of water and 20-24oz of protein a day. I would drink your shake more. And get extra strength gas x chews (I live on them right now)

As for eating food. . OMG I'm dreaming of.food!! But please don't eat normal food my Dr stress it crazy that 1 it will pass or you will be rushed for emergency surgery. .one guy ate a Triscuit and bleed to death on the way to hospital. . You have little ones, to much to live for.

Now we had Christmas dinner tonight, had the hardest food cravings! ! ( I cheated I stuck the tip of my finger in the bottom of the baked beans pot while cleaning up... That taste was HEAVEN)

msrachelwhitmire
on 6/20/19 9:19 pm - MO
DS on 07/09/19

Hello.....I'm scheduled for surgery 7/9/19, and wanted to get some feedback. The good, bad, and ugly. What kind of advice could you give me? How was your recovery? Where you able to go back to work within 2 weeks

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views