Doc trying to talk me out of a DS

Janet P.
on 3/18/20 4:59 am
On March 17, 2020 at 6:31 PM Pacific Time, ladygodiva1228 wrote:

You sound like a kid who hasn't gotten their way. Calling doctor's quacks because they don't give right in to what you want is very childish.

Your "dysfunctional public health care" has already given you TWO WLS and you appeared to have failed both of them. You want what you want and it very well could cost you your life. As others have said there are not many surgeons who perform the take down of a RNY and then do the DS. It is a very long complicated surgery.

Maybe you should look at why the first two WLS failed, because if you think you will not gain weight with the DS then you are in for a very rude awakening.

Please go back and re-read her post. She has only had one WLS (an RNY in 2005).

She does, however, have to realize that there are reasons she can't find a doctor who will give her the DS. Revising from an RNY to DS is a VERY COMPLICATED SURGERY and not the same thing as a "virgin" DS. There are only a handful of surgeons worldwide who are capable of successfully performing this surgery and like we've been talking about on this conversation is there may not be anybody in Canada who does it (there used to be a doctor years ago in Montreal, but I think he moved to CA - sorry can't remember his name).

I don't know what she means by "it has failed since 2012". Don't know what that means. I wouldn't necessarily blame the surgery, but I don't know enough about her situation. Not sure why she has not come back to the thread she started.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

ladygodiva1228
on 3/18/20 5:29 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On March 18, 2020 at 11:59 AM Pacific Time, Janet P. wrote:

You sound like a kid who hasn't gotten their way. Calling doctor's quacks because they don't give right in to what you want is very childish.

Your "dysfunctional public health care" has already given you TWO WLS and you appeared to have failed both of them. You want what you want and it very well could cost you your life. As others have said there are not many surgeons who perform the take down of a RNY and then do the DS. It is a very long complicated surgery.

Maybe you should look at why the first two WLS failed, because if you think you will not gain weight with the DS then you are in for a very rude awakening.

She does, however, have to realize that there are reasons she can't find a doctor who will give her the DS. Revising from an RNY to DS is a VERY COMPLICATED SURGERY and not the same thing as a "virgin" DS. There are only a handful of surgeons worldwide who are capable of successfully performing this surgery and like we've been talking about on this conversation is there may not be anybody in Canada who does it (there used to be a doctor years ago in Montreal, but I think he moved to CA - sorry can't remember his name).

I don't know what she means by "it has failed since 2012". Don't know what that means. I wouldn't necessarily blame the surgery, but I don't know enough about her situation. Not sure why she has not come back to the thread she started.

She posted this on the Ontario forum. There is more to her story then she is letting folks know.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

hollykim
on 3/18/20 8:18 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 18, 2020 at 11:59 AM Pacific Time, Janet P. wrote:

she probably been back to the thread but doesn't like her responses.

dustycroy
on 4/5/20 6:07 pm
DS on 05/14/13
I went to the best of the best in for the DS in Mexicali, Mexico back in 2013. I went to a beautiful hospital with a doctor that I had been heavily researching for about eight months. "Im a over thinker and a worrier". I had dr. Alberto Aceves. I was there for seven days and my husband and I were treated amazenly. They keep you that long because the surgery is such a serious one and they dont have the financial restraints that make hospitals in the U.S. want to kick you out after a couple days. Everything there was top notch. At that time I paid 13,500.00 for the surgery. Money well spent. Since then my Doctor was killed in an airplane crash. That was devastating to me. He and his team "Dr. Campos", had taken such wonderful care of me. The care there goes over and beyond anything I had ever had in the U.S.. They come in to clean and mop your room three times a day, After a few days I limited that to once a day. Lol I like my privacy and decided after a few days that once a day was enough for me. Its like its not just a job to them, when they are speaking to you they really seem to care. It was just different The Doctor at the time, that cost 5000.00 more than my doctor and had trained him, has since taken over the D.S surgeries At Almater Hospial in Mexicali, "Dr. Gilberto Ungson ". I dont know what his fee is now but he IS best of the best. They used to have some kind of financing program also. At the time my husband dipped into his 401K to finance mine. Here is their website, and you can go on UTUBE and watch videos about them and the hospital. At the time there was more about gastric sleeves but you still get to see the place and listen to peoples experiences. When watching the videos keep in mind that there is no exaggeration, about the great care, because I say myself that it was amazing. http://www.mexicalibariatric.com/

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 4/6/20 12:47 pm - plymouth, MN

Your surgeon is doing you a huge favor...

As bad as having some co-morbidities returning but still keeping a decent amount of weight off, the nutritional deficiencies that could happen with a revision, as well as other terrible side effects.

Don't get me wrong, like others on here, I know people who did great, where their only wls was a DS, long term.

You are way better off trying slowly lose weight on your own than converting.

I had no comorbidities going into a rny that I had in 2001, I had a brilliant surgeon, I had thought about DS then, but they weren't being done lap then.

And still managed with being pretty compliant to have gi bleeds, severe long term nutritional deficiencies and severe reactive hypoglycemia bad enough to require a reversal of my rny.

I didn't tell you that tidbit about my reversal, cause I'm anti rny or anti wls, I'm not. I have a sibling who's 17 1/2 years post rny who's never had a complication, can eat whatever she wants and just has to in the last 9 years workout intensely to keep her weight off.

I am saying most long term wls peeps do have to work harder with regain or to maintain, I get that it's hard to exercise with bad knees or backs, but you wouldn't necessarily be better off having a DS and then still finding you need back or knee surgery even after the weight loss.

It might help to find others who are similar to you who've lost regain without a revision, in similar physical cir****tances, which I'm sure there are some here and in other wls groups on the internet and on social media like Facebook.

I have irreversible cognitive damage in long and short term memory loss from the nutritionally deficiencies and I couldn't orally supplement enough, couldn't be supplemented enough intravenously with ferritin and banana bags for years and years.

I hope you realize the grace and wisdom of that surgeon and give yourself 6-12 months with having slower weight loss expectations, than to risk another bariatric surgery, given what you were told by him, as well as the others who gave you good advice on this board.

PeteA
on 4/7/20 11:39 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Look, Good for you for sticking to your guns and advocating for your choice. You are the only one that can look at your weight loss and gain history and decide if you need the DS. If you want to sound off in a place like this that is fine in my opinion.

While it is complicated, of course the revisions is possible, and I have seen multiple posts over the years
from people that have had this done.

It still depends on the skill and experience of the surgeon. The one I see in the US the most for such revisions is Dr. Keseshian in California but there are others.

I'm a traditional DS and while there are stresses, keeping up with my vitamins and labs is 2nd nature after 7 years so it doesn't have to be a "nutritional catastrophe".

Good luck,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Thousand
on 5/25/21 10:50 am

What's the point of this post, Karen? Is there a question that I missed?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 323 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views