Support needed!

deenewme
on 4/2/21 2:19 am

I started at 314 and got down to 260. For the next 8 years I maintained from 260-270. This last year everything changed. I have gained 12 lbs and I have been frustrated with myself. I started to walk and drink more water but it wasn't enough to get my body restarted. Today my surgeon suggested I do a revision- the duodenal switch. I told him I know I need help but I feared the insurance would deny it.

Any suggestions and/ or support is appreciated!!

I'm back and going to try again?

DEENEWME  
Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.

Believe2021
on 4/2/21 3:03 am
DS on 02/24/21

I had the Gastric Sleeve in 4/2014 and lost 75lbs. SW 300lbs. Then I got pregnant in Mid 2015 and I gained all the weight back within 5 years. I did the Traditional Duodenal Switch in Feb 2021. I am down 31lbs so far & I also had a 2 week Stall as well so definitely good weight loss so far! Make sure you ask the Surgeon if it's the Traditional DS. There are other Modified DS procedures which are relatively new in comparison to the Traditional with over 30+ years with the best tracking record.

deenewme
on 4/2/21 4:27 am

How exciting to be back on track-congrats on the new start! I will ask my Surgeon about the type- I believe it meant traditional but I need to confirm. Thankyou for the suggestion! Let's stay in touch. I would like to hear about your journey ?

deenewme
on 6/13/21 10:00 pm

I am checking on you since you were so kind to offer the support. How are you doing? Im only a few weeks before my big day.

Believe2021
on 6/13/21 10:05 pm
DS on 02/24/21

Hi! I'm doing Great! I'm down 55lbs so far. The first 6 weeks was rough on me but I finally started feeling myself shortly after. I actually went on a week long vacation and came back 2lbs lighter LOL was not expecting that! Which procedure are you going? The Traditional Duodenal?

deenewme
on 6/17/21 10:55 pm

I am doing the traditional DS. My surgeon is Dr Higa in Fresno. He is the one that did my gastric bypass. I started a liquid diet yesterday preparing for the surgery on the 30th. I am looking forward to the long term goal.
I have to admit I am not looking forward to the post up pain. Although I know that it wasn't that bad with the gastric bypass it's just in my head. I'm trying to prep and have clear liquids with proteins so my husband can help me when I am not feeling up to it. It's retraining my head and my stomach LOL

Believe2021
on 6/17/21 11:08 pm
DS on 02/24/21

Check your inbox :)

Janet P.
on 4/5/21 3:48 am

Since you had the RNY your options are different than Believe2021. They already had the sleeve, which is the same for the DS, while you have a pouch. It's a complicated revision (RNY to DS) and there aren't that many surgeons who have that expertise.

It's great that you're walking and drinking more water, but what are you eating?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

deenewme
on 6/13/21 10:06 pm

Absolutely a good accountability question. What I have noticed is my craving for sweets. I also know that I do better with more protein snacks and keeping away from any carbs. I definitely struggle with the grazing and remembering not to drink when I eat. I am also struggling with preparing my own meals and not feeling guilty about my preparing my husbands meals. I cannot say that he is Not supportive, but he seems to be resentful that we do not have the same meals and I eat less than he does.

airbender
on 4/5/21 4:04 am
On April 2, 2021 at 9:19 AM Pacific Time, deenewme wrote:

I started at 314 and got down to 260. For the next 8 years I maintained from 260-270. This last year everything changed. I have gained 12 lbs and I have been frustrated with myself. I started to walk and drink more water but it wasn't enough to get my body restarted. Today my surgeon suggested I do a revision- the duodenal switch. I told him I know I need help but I feared the insurance would deny it.

Any suggestions and/ or support is appreciated!!

I'm back and going to try again?

I think a revision is a great idea as 314 to 260 then up to 272 is not a great tool. BUT be very careful who you allow to revise you from RNY to DS. Taking down that RNY pouch is a difficult surgery. There are but a handful of surgeons in the world that can do that surgery. Yes that is correct maybe 4 in the world.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 83 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 83 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 643 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views