Hi...looking for support and advice

gagesmom314
on 6/21/11 12:54 pm
 I have been a member for awhile and debated off and on. I live in Salina and I am seriously considering lap band surgery. I weigh about 315 pounds and I am miserable. I want to have more energy and be able to play with my children and I want to see them grow up and get married and be able to play with my future grandchildren. I don't even know where to start on this journey. There isn't anyone in Salina that performs this type of surgery and I don't know where to go or even what I need to do at this point. I'm scared as well. I know it would be better for my family if I lost weight but I am scared that something will go wrong and I will leave my family without me. Anyone out there that can offer some advice?
Kansasmomof1
on 6/24/11 1:24 am
It is scary.  I had gastric bypass surgery about 3 years ago in Junction City.  Geary County hospital has a program that I would recommend.  I am very pleased with my experience and when I started I was about your weight.  Good luck!

latsyrc23
on 6/27/11 2:24 am - Hutchinson, KS
I was going to go to Junction City for the lapband, before I decided I was going to go with VSG.
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers
mmeyerssr
on 7/18/11 4:36 pm - Ozawkie, KS
Hello. No need for fear. I don't have any info on Dr in Salina. The first thing you need to figure out is how to pay for surgery. Most Kansas insurance won't pay. The first thing to do is call your insurance and find out. I can't recomend the Lap Band. It fails people more than it helps. Medicare no longer pays for the Lap Band because the benefits don't justify the risks. I had Ru-en-Y and I have no regrets at all. I've lost 170lbs and kept 150lbs off for the last almost 5 years now. I'm sure there are people here who will disagree. My advice is research. Study all of the options, talk to a doctor and make the choice that's right for you. You'll find plenty of support here.
WANTINGASLEEVE
on 7/26/11 12:39 pm
I can totally understand where you are coming from.  I just want you to let know I have 8 children with the youngest being 3.  I had the Mini Gastric Bypass May 31.  I am down 43 pounds.  I feel better then I have in years!!!  And to top it off I had it done in Mexico!!  I will tell you this if you chose t go through with this surgery it will change your life....  

Its very worth it!!
If you have questions message me I will answer anything
nightowl
on 7/27/11 7:11 pm, edited 7/27/11 7:12 pm - Topeka, KS
I went to my 1st weight loss surgery seminar thinking that what I wanted was the Lap-Band.  I learned of the ObesityHelp website from one of the papers that I picked up at that seminar at St. Francis in Topeka.  After reading for a long time on the message boards here, especially on the message board about the duodenal switch, I decided that I wanted a DS.  I am one year out and love my DS. (Although, lots of people one year out are still in the honeymoon period.  I recommend you read the different message boards specific to the different surgery types and see how people like their surgery after multiple years post-op.)  Anyways, the Tallgrass/St. Francis weight loss surgery program in Topeka offers patients the adjustable gastric band (whether Lap-Band or Realize brand), Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, vertical sleeve gastrectomy, and the duodenal switch. 

edited for spelling
Most Active
Recent Topics
SUPPORT GROUPS
KansasPrincess · 1 replies · 6478 views
Insurance Help.
tj91116 · 1 replies · 6387 views
Who is your primary doctor?
kw0299 · 8 replies · 7841 views
UHC Community Plan (KS Medicaid)?
kw0299 · 0 replies · 6874 views