plastic surgery

Jenni R.
on 9/18/03 1:44 pm
OK, my surgery date is hopefully 3 months from today (ins. pending, but I'm not worried). So.....I'm not wanting to think toooo far ahead about things yet I need to know the realistic issues.....what about plastic surgery? What percentage need it? Does Fed. BCBS ever pay for any of it (that's what I have). What are the consequences of not having it (like skin infections?) I am expecting to loose around 120-130 pounds. I am VERY big boned so don't want to be unrealistic...some people my height could loose more but I really think my bone structure is going to cause me to ultimately be heavier than some women my height....but hopefully a lot healthier than I am now. I do have a big stomach but I carry a LOT of my weight in my theighs and calves and expect a lot of it to come off there. I know that no one can tell me if I'll need plastic surgery or not, but please share some experiences so I'll know more of what to expect...I'd like to hear from those who have and have not had plastics. Thanks! Jenni
Click
on 9/20/03 4:40 am
Jenni, I think the best you can do for yourself is to know that you won't know anything until you are post-op about 9 months or more. I can honestly say that I KNEW pre-op that I would have to have PS on my arms because whenever I lost weight in the past, my arms were always saggy. I did not however expect to need to have my breasts done because I always thought they were huge and it would not be a problem. Well hello, I lost weight and *BAM* I'm slinging them over my shoulders (OK, slinging one, ROFLMAO), yeah surgery for them too. I figured I wouldn't need it for my tummy either because I carried my weight all over not a traditional apple shape. Well I've come to the conclusion that I need a TT too. I honestly did not go into my WLS thinking I would need PS on anything other than my arms and now all this? I will begin my PS journey in November which will be 14 months post-op for me. Sorry but I've come to think that the 'big bone' thing is crap IMHO, of course. I was told my entire life that I have 'big bones' etc. and that I would weigh more, etc. Well I think that's just another myth put on to us. I can tell you that when I weighed 345, 320 lbs. I was never able to touch my fingers on my wrists, but now that I've lost weight I can put my thumb on top of my finger around my wrist. So what happened? Did my bones shrink and I went from being 'big boned' to small to medium boned? Hmm I don't think so! What I'm saying is, don't limit your expectations according to what you think your bone structure is. You will lose weight according to what your body thinks is right. You may actually lose a lot more (or even less) than what you think. The biggest thing is to have REALISTIC expectations, just know you will be losing a significant amount of weight in a relatively short amount of time. You will see varying thoughts on how long a person 'should' wait to have PS. The thing being that you may lose more weight, your skin will tighten up and adjust more, etc. It's my opinion that when the issues of skin (whatever they may be) begin to affect you then it's time to do something about it. My saggy arms have bothered me for months and I refuse to wait until I'm 18 months out to do something about them. Same thing with my breasts. My tummy I can wait on, but am still bothered by it. Your surgeon will be more than glad (LOL) to let you know when he/she thinks it's appropriate for you to begin the PS journey. Mine told me at my 8.5 month visit I could begin my PS process. I've heard that other surgeons won't even think about saying that until you are at least one year out or even more. Just depends. I went into my WLS knowing that I wanted to eventually weigh in at 150 or pretty dang close to it. I haven't weighed at the doc's office since early July and I'm not there, but I've still got my goal. I didn't set my goal to be met by a certain date or anything like that, just that when I was done losing that I was around 150 or within 10 lbs. of it. Other people who had surgery around the same time are either at 150 or close to it. Yes, it sometimes freaks me out, but it's my body and it will do it's business in it's own time...with my help of course. That's the best I can give you with regard to my personal experience. Maybe others who have already had their PS can provide more input? Good luck to you on your journey! BIG HUGS, Sharon
Most Active
Recent Topics
SUPPORT GROUPS
KansasPrincess · 1 replies · 6482 views
Insurance Help.
tj91116 · 1 replies · 6391 views
Who is your primary doctor?
kw0299 · 8 replies · 7846 views
UHC Community Plan (KS Medicaid)?
kw0299 · 0 replies · 6880 views