Post-op Diet Help

Donna K.
on 9/30/03 3:42 am - Gardner, Ks
My husband and I have both had "the surgery". Sid is three months ahead of me on recovery and our problem is planning what to eat!!! I love to cook but now we don't want or can't eat just any ole' thing. We also both don't want the same thing on the same night!!! YES!! I'm very frustrated! So, any food ideas? I'm three months out and he is seven months out. He can eat ground beef and cannot tolerate chicken. I'm just the opposite! When can you safely add pasta, bread, beef??? Any suggestions as how to add protein? I can eat very small amounts of deli sliced chicken and turkey. What I'm asking basiclly is for some ideas on what to take for lunches at work and some ideas of what to fix for evening meals. I never once thought I'd be bored with food!!!! We both supplement with protein bars and drinks but I would like for us to be moving toward a more "normal" food plan. I know I can count on your help all you post-ops cause that's what you do!
DebPKansas
on 10/1/03 8:50 pm - Paola, KS
Hiya Donna! I'm in Paola! Nice to see someone close by =). I am almost 30 months postop and here is a look at what I ate yesterday. 5:00am...two 16oz cups coffee with vanilla soy. 8:00 2 eggs with cheese and 1 slice canadian bacon, 10:30 1 low fat cheese stick...12:30 3 ounces grilled chicken breast with salsa, salad and sf jello...2:30 1/2 c. cottage cheese with 4 grape tomatoes...4:00 one venti starbuck latte with soy and sf vanilla syrup...7:00...dinner at zio's italian kitchen: 3 ounces grilled salmon, couple bites of grilled summer squash. At 30 months postop I still do not eat bread, pasta, rice or potatoes...they don't feel good on my tummy and they are loaded with carbs. I was able to eat ground beef (ground very fine) early out..like 4 months out...I especially like the Wendy's chili...the hamburger is ground very fine. Hen House in Olathe with "regrind" the hamburger for you or...you can use a potato masher as you cook it to grind it up better. Chicken must be very moist for me to eat it..but I have also noticed with a dense protein like chicken..it will stay with me longer if I eat it as opposed to eggs, cottage cheese etc....soft food. I eat steak at least once a week..love it! Just got to remember to chew and chew and chew =). I love fish, of all kinds...no breading(hate breading) just really good fish and shrimp..goes down well and feels good in my tummy. I eat fruit rarely, maybe once a week...fruit has too many carbs, and the natural sugar content makes me crave other carbs. I eat lots of salad, steamed veggies, and raw veggies because I crave them now..it's crazy..but I love em! The only dairy I ever have is soy milk in my coffee and cheese. I love ricotta cheese with a little splenda and flavoring (lemon, vanilla, etc.) for a dessert. I also make a great sf cheesecake (no crust) There is a place in Olathe...Harvet Moon, where yo ucan buy awesome sf cheesecake! My downfall is sugarfree candy...jordan almonds from Mr. Bulky's in Oak Park Mall..so I go there once every couple of months and buy a handful or two =). I don't like any other sugar free candy much..the jelly beans/gummy bears aren'ts bad. The new hershey's sugar free candy is nasty tasting to me...and hurts my tummy. If I can help you in anyway..please feel free to email me! Good luck to you and your husband. My husband didn't have the surgery but, he eats like I do now and has lost 10 pounds! (((hugs)))and smiles =)))
Donna K.
on 10/2/03 2:25 am - Gardner, Ks
Thanks Deb! Just the thought that there is something I'm doing right means a lot. I was getting bored with the limited foods I was allowing myself. I was really staying away from anything that I thought would hurt or make me throw up! By the way, my husband loves Wendy's chili also!! I was also under the impression that veggies would make your stomach ache.....I'm not wanting sweets but the smell of fresh bread really gets those ole saliva glands working. I tried a half a slice of bread last week and won't be doing that any time soon! The suggestion of Zio's was great because one of the things we miss is the treat of eating out at a nice restraunt. The fact they glaze everything and the added sugar in all the sauces really puts a kink in planning. Thanks again, the support is wonderful.
Deanna_K
on 10/2/03 8:09 am - Sandy, OR
Oh Man do I understand your delima...My hubbs hasn't had surgery...but dinner is ALWAYS a stress. He never has cared what we have, so I always fixed what sounded good to me...NOW nothing ever sounds good to me, so dinner is a real struggle. We've started keeping easy things to eat made in the fridge like deviled eggs, summer sausage and cheese, browned ground beef, cottage cheese,whole wheat tortillas, cooked chicken, etc. things that we can just throw together and go..we are both sooo busy it's really helpful. We usually find SOMETHING that way. I also really enjoy a steak at least once a week. I like to pull some out and get them marinating, so when we get to have them they are soooo moist and tasty!!! I'm like your Hubby...I have a harder time with chicken than I do with beef...but if I use the crock pot to cook it I do much better!!!! I also use ALOT of marinades and it really does make a difference...maybe it can help you with the Hubbs too!!! I have a bunch of recipes if you're interested...best of luck and BIG HUGS Deanna
Most Active
Recent Topics
SUPPORT GROUPS
KansasPrincess · 1 replies · 6482 views
Insurance Help.
tj91116 · 1 replies · 6391 views
Who is your primary doctor?
kw0299 · 8 replies · 7846 views
UHC Community Plan (KS Medicaid)?
kw0299 · 0 replies · 6880 views