Dr. Bellanger in Baton Rouge?

southernstitcher
on 3/22/12 9:54 am
Has anyone had any experience with Dr Bellanger from Baton Rouge, and perhaps may know what he charges for an out of pocket vertical sleeve?  I did call them but they didn't want to say anything on the phone.  My daughter is wanting the surgery, and I know BCBS will not pay for it.  I'm just wondering what price range, and what anyone elses experience has been with him ?  Thanks so much!
Mary
tavonscott
on 3/22/12 11:59 am - LA
I DONT KNOW ABOUT DR BELLANGER BUT DR THOMAS BORLAND IN NEW IBERIA, LOUISIANA DOES THEM FOR 9800.00 OUT OF POCKET.
greenway3860
on 3/26/12 6:37 am
The reason for the low price is the procedures are done at a purely outpatient facility.  There is no option to stay overnight and his patients go to a hotel after surgery.  If you survery the bariatric surgeons in LA who do sleeves, you will find the VAST majority of patients are kept over night in a hospital setting and sent home the following day.  Sometimes cheaper isn't better. Buyer beware...
southernstitcher
on 3/22/12 12:33 pm
I saw that somewhere else - and that's a good price.  I looked on Woman's Hosptial site and saw they charge a little over $14,000.  
tavonscott
on 3/22/12 1:48 pm - LA
Also Dr. Borland does not make you wait long at all for surgery. I am contemplating now if I will stay with Dr. Bellows (surgery set for October 3) or go with Dr Borland. I have an appt with him on March 26th. I already had the 3 test he require, ekg, chest x ray and blood test and i have the money. I can have surgery scheduled the next week. I am just so tired of being fat and unhealthy and I dont want to wait anylonger. Good luck in your search. This is the best price I found.
southernstitcher
on 3/22/12 2:16 pm
Why is there such a wait with Dr. Bellows?  Is it because he takes Medicaid and Medicare patients?  It does seem to me that Dr. Borland doesn't require as many tests prior - and no diet prior either.  I read that one patient didn't find out she had sleep apnea till post op.  That's scary.  We just found out my daughter has asthma - probably brought on by the obesity.  
I don't think my daughter will want to stay in a hotel after the surgery.  I would rather have her in a hospital at least one night.  Or is it common to send someone home the day of the surgery no matter where the surgery is? 
tavonscott
on 3/27/12 7:00 am - LA
THE REASON FOR THE LOWER PRICE IS BECAUSE IT IS DONE AND AS A OUTPATIENT PROCEDURE AND YOU STAY AT A LOCAL HOTEL. THE DOCTOR DOES COME AND VISIT YOU AT THE HOTEL AS WOULD IF YOU WERE IN THE HOSPITAL AND WHEN DEEMS YOU READY YOU ARE THEN ALLOWED TO GO HOME.  IF YOU ARE HIGH RISK, SLEEP APNEA, ASTHMA, ETC. HE WILL NOT PERFORM THE OPERATION AS AN OUTPATIENT AND TELL YOU TO SEEK HAVING IT DONE WITH A HOSPITAL STAY.
southernstitcher
on 3/27/12 7:49 am
Thank you so much, for this information.  Then he's out, as my daughter has asthma.  I wasn't comfortable with that anyway.
Southern_Comfort
on 3/29/12 12:08 pm - LA
Hello, I'm not sure of Dr. Bellanger's price, but I had surgery with his partner Dr. Hargroder, who is an excellent surgeon. They both work out of the same clinic and hospitals. The time frame from consult to surgery was pretty quick, I had  my consult on 1/16/12 and my surgery was on 2/28. I'm not sure which surgery you're looking into, but the out of pocket price for the sleeve at Woman's Hospital is $14,300.00 with Dr.Hargroder.

HW:332 Consult:328 SW: 325.4 CW: 209.0 GW:175(surgeon) 160(mine)    

southern_belle27
on 4/3/12 1:43 am
Dr. Gachassin and Eschete in Lafayette do their Sleeve for $11,500 out of pocket. That includes up to three nights in the hospital, as well as a year of follow up with the surgeon and bariatric team. A bunch of other stuff is included as well. Hope that helps! :)
Most Active