Greys anatomy episode

Ella Nchanted
on 5/8/05 9:31 pm - LA
I watch the new show on ABC Greys anatomy each week,and last nights episode had a younge girl,about 17 that showed up in er with her parents,she was a thin girl,anyways she was very sick,when examining her they discovered several pink laproscopic incisional scares,that where fresh...so they did some scans on her and she admited to haveing had gastric bypass done in mexico behind her parents backs,because her mom basically thought she was getting fat! was always harping on her about her weight and such..boy does that bring back memorys,I can recal my mom haveing me on a diet my whole life,hell when I went away to boarding school she accually called the school administrator and made sure I would get a job in the ofice so I wouldnt have to work in cafeteria around food(we all had to work at the school) TO PREPARE FOR LIFE SORT OF THING,LOL well I loved my job ,but it was embarrassing to know my mom was so affraid id get fat,even though I wasnt fat...(sure thought I was) I remember her counting my starches at every meal...crazy huh? any how the girl on the show was messed up,the mexican doctors botched her bypass bad,they had to repair her,and drain abscesses,and remove some bowel,which they said would give her short gut syndrom,and she would always have trouble getting nutrition down,Im so glad they didnt say she had lap band gone wrong.. SueElla
Vivid
on 5/8/05 9:36 pm - Western, MA
SueElla, I caught the last half of the show (am loving it by the way) and thought that story was so sad. Of course, it was more about the crazy way her mother was bringing her up than about WLS but it sure made a message, didn't it?
Ella Nchanted
on 5/8/05 9:46 pm - LA
sure did,they did a good job telling the wls part and the crazy mom part...she was like a rude judgemental barbie doll,lol
Mary LongIsland native
on 5/8/05 9:47 pm - hicksville, NY
Dear SueElla, My mom is a good woman, kind and caring but I too have memories of childhood like you. She would always puff out her cheeks(meaning you will get fat) when I went to have a cookie, making me feel terrible. I still have vivid memories of this. I know I was always heavy but not the obese adult I eventually became. I had low self esteem related to my weight growing up too. She had my best interests at heart but really didnt help me, just made me feel bad about myself. Today, she is really my friend but I still dont discuss my weight with her too much. I didnt even tell her until after I had my surgery. After 38 years, I am still afraid of her judgement. It is really crazy, isnt it? Mary
Kristin J
on 5/8/05 10:13 pm - CT
I LOVE that show!!! I think we're never 100% happy with how our parents raised us if we have weight issues or other issues like this. My parents never said a word as I grew up (and I was fat since 3rd grade) -- never a no to the 3rd helpings, never a no we can't buy that junk food for the house, no limits were set. They loved me for me, yada yada, but I was ridiculed as a child and immediately went to food for support. No one told me that food wouldn't help me, and no one set limits on me for it. So although I cannot imagine someone strictly enforcing a food police attitude, the opposite is just as harmful. Having kids now, and one who is overweight, I am trying to find a healthy balance of support and "food education" rather than ridicule or passiveness. Its really hard! I'm glad that he finally sees his mom eating healthy and taking care of herself -- I hope that I can be a better role model for him! I do love that show though -- do you think that intern will keep the baby?? have a great day! Kristin J 242/190/140
Sharon T.
on 5/8/05 10:33 pm - Southern , WI
Hi Honey! I'm sorry you had to go through that when you were so young. I'm sure your mom meant well, but she went ot Mexico and had a band, didn't she? She was overweight, and critisized you like that? Well, your surgery is shortly, so you will be on the "Loser's Side" where you belong! I haven't seen that show! Sharon
DeeBert
on 5/8/05 10:49 pm - Gonzales, LA
Hey SueElla, I love that show, I have watched it each week since it began. When they first mentioned 4 scars on her stomach and that she had just returned from Mexico, I held my breath because I just knew that they were going to say that she had a bad lap band job. But I guess that the band would have been easier to reverse with less problems so they went with the gastric bypass instead. I felt sorry for the girl. The mom was crazy. Hope all is well with you, your patience WILL pay off in the long run.. Hang in there. GOD is great and life is getting better.. Dee
j. lynn
on 5/8/05 11:35 pm - NE
It was an interesting episode. I kind of feel bad for all the qualified surgeons in Mexico, but the truth is that there are probably lots of unqualified surgeons in Mexico as well. I thought last week's episode was interesting too. They had a patient undergo some type of surgery and she had a heart attack on the table -- basically because she had lost 100 pounds in a year (without WLS) and they said that she lost too much muscle -- in her heart. THAT scared me. jayme
This Time
on 5/9/05 12:04 am
VSG on 06/27/08 with
I love that show too!!! (Dr. Shepherd ) I just knew it when they said she had 4 laproscopic scars, wasn't sure which surgery they were going to say though!! I figured it would cause some trouble on the RYN board!!! My mom was the same way, in fact has anyone ever heard of getting a staple put in your ear?!! It is suppose to leave a scar and then when you rub it, it is suppose to decrease your appetite. My mom drove me 4 hours, one way, when I was 10 to have this done. 2 sisters, myself and my mom all went -- I will never forget it! And then try to hide it from all the kids in the summer, long story on how and who saw it first, but that was just the beginning of crazy weight loss schemes from childhood! Have a great day everyone, Barb
carolyn D.
on 5/9/05 1:25 am - spanish fort, AL
Well we are certainly fans of this show! Yes, and don't most of us who are heavy have issues from childhood whether it be too much restriction from parents or not enough (or both) such as telling you how beautiful you would be if you would just lose a few pounds to not teaching you the benifits of heatlhy eating. WOW! I am newly banded (5-3) and know that I need to deal with the issues from the past to bet better in the future. Today I make a commitment to take full responsibility for the future...no more blaming......hope to see less of you next time. Carolyn
Most Active