Band slip?

sarah S.
on 5/13/05 11:34 pm - southwick, MA
Hi everyone. I am looking for people who have had their band slip. I am most likely over reacting but I am curiouse. What does it feel like to have your band slip. All of the sudden I have pain in my lower stomach. It has been 2 days now. It feels like i am post-op all over again (had surgery 4/8) it's painful to roll over, sleep on my tummy, sit up or down, sneeze and cough. I was raking and planting shrubs a couple of days ago; I have a sore back from that but should that cause pain in my stomach? and it's not a pulled muscle in my abdomen. Was it too soon after surgery to be doing that stuff? IT's been 5 weeks. Anway I am most likely fine and a bit nervouse for nothing but for you bandsters who have had slippage. Please report to me of what it feels like. Thanks Sarah
bocluzeo
on 5/13/05 11:49 pm - Lewisville, TX
I have not had a band slip, because I'm 2 days post-op, but can probably tell you that you should of waited to do any hard labor 6 weeks post-op. If your band slipped, then you would be throwing up everytime you ate something or drank or would have acid reflux all the time. I'm not sure, but I have read other peoples forums when theirs did. It sounds like you just worked your core area out, and it wasn't used to it, just like doing crunches for the first time. Just rest for a few days, but I don't think there should be anything wrong unless you can't keep anything down. -Lea
Dirk M.
on 5/14/05 1:33 am - Atlanta, GA
My guess, and I'm pretty sure of it, is that your pulled the stitches that hold the band in place on your abdominals. I did the same thing the second week out... And I was like OMG what is wrong, this hurts SOOO bad.. Well the surgeon said, it is common, she says that your port, the hose or whatever is called, is all stitched do the Schwartzeneger abdominal muscle she called it... Hehe... And sometimes those get pulled and then it is a pain out of this world! I imagine, when you was working out in the garden you probably just moved wrong and inflammed them. The bad problem is, it took 5 weeks for mine to heal after that.. Still go see your doctor just to be sure, but since your saying it is in your abdominals... That is really my guess. If you slipped, you wouldn't be able to eat, throwing up, heartburn, etc. Dirk
lilib
on 5/14/05 2:40 am - Sacramento California
Sarah, Where is your port located? Is it in the general area where you are having pain? My port area was sore for a little while and sleeping on my side was uncomfortable also. From what I've read when your band slips you are unable to even swallow your own saliva and you have horrible reflux. Is any of this happening?
j. lynn
on 5/14/05 3:46 am - NE
I doubt your band slipped -- I don't think it can from working too hard. And it wasn't too soon to be doing those things. Your symptoms sound alot like me when I had my hernia. jayme
sarah S.
on 5/14/05 11:41 am - southwick, MA
Thanks everyone for your advice. I think i just over worked that area with lifting and maybe moved some stuff around. The pain is on my right side/lower tummy area. My port is above that to the left. I have had a hernia before and it's a bit differnt then that pain. I like the sticth idea, that sounds like the most likely problem. I will give it till monday and if not better i'll call my doc. Thanks everyone Sarah
Nancy Degenmeister
on 5/14/05 2:33 pm - Bergen County, NJ
A band slip's symptoms are usually: sudden increase in restriction unrelated to a recent fill and/or sudden onset of reflux again, unrelated to a recent fill. Where exactly are you having pain? Remember, the band is way up high in your chest...it's placed about 2-3" below where your esophagus meets the stomach, so anything band-related would be high center chest, not lower in the abdominal area/"tummy" or what many refer to as their "stomach" (which is actually where the intestines are). Where was your port placed? It's possible you pulled at the area it's sutured to a bit... Nancy 394/275/180
Most Active