How do I know...

A C.
on 3/27/06 3:18 am - Marietta, GA
Hello Everyone, I am hoping to have Lap Band soon. I have attended my seminar and woring on my paperwork. My doctor (and the other 4 in the pratice) all do Gastric as well as Lap Band. They do, it seems, less Lap Band then Gastric... I just wonder how many Lap Band surgeries they have done. How do I find out? That may sound like a silly question but I really would like to know. Thanks for any help you can give. Ann Marietta, Ga.
smeeper
on 3/27/06 3:48 am - Huntsville, AL
It is possible that they have done less lap band than any other surgery simply because so many insurance companies do not cover lap band, but they will cover the others. I know that was one of the things that my doctor talked about a lot. He prefers to do the lap band, but so many people cannot afford it. BCBS of Alabama doesn't cover lap band surgeries at all. For the time being, they are still covering RNY. My insurance doesn't cover either, but I'm paying for Lap Band out of my pocket, because I really want this done. My doctor also gave his statistics in his class. But, the lap band is regulated by the company that makes the lap band www.lap-band.com, you may be able to get a report about your doctor's office from them if you just can't get your doctor to give you one if you ask them. Just a suggestion and good luck on your journey. Deb
mizmiss
on 3/27/06 3:54 am - Cleves, OH
Lap Band is a fairly new (to the U.S.) surgery, so it makes sense that doctors have more gastric surgery experience. This doesn't mean they aren't qualified to do Lap Band. I would ask the surgeon you are considering, what his experience is and also his success rates. A good surgeon should be happy to give out this information!
(deactivated member)
on 3/27/06 4:27 am
I would ask him. He should be open about that. Also, ask some of his patients also. Call Inamed also. I don't remember but maybe they can shed some light. When I had my surgery, it was recommended that the surgeon had performed at least 50. But maybe that perferred number has changed since last year. It may be ok if your other requirements are being met. For instance, perhaps there will be an experienced lap band surgeon in the operating room with your surgeon. That didn't work for me because my logic was that I might as well choose the one watching since he was the most experienced in the room. But that was me. Many people are okay with that. Just as importantly, how is the aftercare program? Is it RNY-centric? If so, then that's not good because they will have you eating 600 calories instead of what's recommended for you based on your resting metobolic rate (1200-1500 thereabouts). It's okay if your surgeon performs both types of surgeries. But you want to make sure that you are given LAP BAND post-op diet instructions and that the surgeon advocates a diet appropriate for a lap band patient. Take Care
Most Active