Is 100 enough?

A C.
on 3/28/06 12:59 am - Marietta, GA
Hello Everyone, I just called my doctor's office (I forgot to ask at the seminar) to see how many Lap Band's he as done and I was told "about 100" My question is - is that enough for me to feel comfortable? He is the only doctor in my area who accepts my insurance but I want to feel comfortable. Thanks, Ann Mareitta, Ga.
Caeli B.
on 3/28/06 1:07 am - Boston, MA
Yes, 100 is enough. Once a surgeon has done 100 bandings his/her likelihood of having patient complications goes down dramatically. Caeli
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/06 1:26 am
The short answer is yes. But what is 'about' a 100? As a consultant who once worked with big corporate firms, I was advised early on that if asked how long I had been with the company I should say 'about' a year when I only had about 2 months experience. LOL! That being said, I think that 80-100 is fine. If you feel comfortable with him otherwise, I say go for it.
IdahoLoser
on 3/28/06 1:42 am - Burley, ID
I guess the question u need to ask your self is: Does the doctor make you feel comfortable? That is pretty important. Does the number make you feel comfortable? It didnt me when i was looking. I opted to go a little farther for more experiance and i am so glad i did. I love my doctor and he knows what he is doing. I think the important thing is for you to comfortable cuz he is gonna be in your life for the rest of your life. Good luck Leslie 332/253/135
Idaho Bandito
on 3/28/06 3:20 am
*****HIJACK!!!!!!******* Hello. . .fellow Idaho bandster! Hugs, Brigitte
ANON** S.
on 3/28/06 1:43 am - Central, OH
You got me thinking when you made this post. I called Barix Bariatric and asked about my surgeon. I had checked his page yesterday and he did not have any Lap band procedures listed. There were 1500 RNYs and such. Someone called me back and said he has done 10. I was real shaky at that point. He proceeded to tell me that this is a new procedure in the US( 6 or 7 years is not new) and that Barix just started doing bands. I don't know why I just thought to do this because I would have tried to go on down the road to Cincinatti where I know Dr. Curry has performed many procedures. I'm like thinking should I back out and find a more experienced surgeon in my area of concern. Dr. viglianco is 15 years experienced in the RNY. This guy tryed to assure me that the Lap band was a piece of cake compared to the RNY and I'm positive it is an easier surgery, but SHUX!!!! I don't want to be his 11th lap band client!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/06 1:57 am
What about your surgeon's aftercare program for Lap Band patients. Make sure that it's not RNY-centric.
ANON** S.
on 3/28/06 2:16 am - Central, OH
It probably is more geared towards RNYers becauses I've been up there three times and there were no Bandsters on staff but plenty of RNYers. I went to my consultation, to my friends consultation and then to a seminar to meet doctor Vic. Not to mention that I called them at least 50 times pre-approval. He seems laid back and personable. I like that. The other doctor who just left was like a little Tazmanian devil. I would not want to be under his knife. When I was at the second consultation with my friend and at the seminar, It was apparent that I was more knowledgeable about the band in a practical way then the instructors. I know that he is a very skilled laproscopic surgeon, but his lack of actual band experience threw up a yellow flag. My friend who had her surgery on the 13th of March said that they told her that they who have to dig around the first time for her port. I told her no way. No more then 2 sticks or floro. Looks like an education will be had by all.
Crystal C.
on 3/29/06 5:47 am - Green River, WY
My DR. had only done 10 lap-bands I was scared to be his 11th but then the thought came to me that all Dr.;s need there 11th paitent to get there 12th and so on if we all went to Dr.'s that have performed 100's no other Dr.'s would have experance. Do you see what i mean? mine turned out great no problems at all I just hope by being his 11th that other people will want to be his 12th Hope everthing goes good for you Crystal banded 2/9/2006 -233/218/170
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/06 1:51 am - Northern, VA
Lap Band on 09/30/05 with
Ann, I did not factor only in numbers, I looked at the entire package, there were other surgeons in my area had done a great deal more Lap Bands than my surgeon, I felt my AFTERCARE would be as more important than my original surgery. I could have gone to two other surgeons that had more NUMBERS under their belt. It was a comfort level with me. A lot a patients don't realize that some of the well known surgeons that have done a great deal more lap bands may have someone else acutally doing the procedure, sort of trainees and you never know while the original surgeon looks on. I factored in bedside manners, education, aftercare, accessibilty (will my surgeon be there if I need him in case of emergency) will he administer my fills or dump me on a someone else after the surgery, there have been many many cases where the patient never ever see the original surgeon again. My surgeon gives me pep talks and keeps me motivated, and wows me when I have lost weight, all those things are very crucial in the success of patients. Again I just did not look only at numbers and I am very very happy I made my decision, I have a low profile port with very small incisions and (knock on wood) no complications so far and my surgeon had only done a handful of Lap Bands, IMO if a surgeon is good at what he/she it does not matter, ask for complication rates also with those numbers. Naomi--
Most Active