slight unfill today.....thankfully!!!

A C.
on 3/9/07 1:41 am - Marietta, GA

Hi Everyone, Yesterday I had my 4th fill....last night I was so tight I couldn't ever drink water. I sat up all night on the sofa trying to get some      rest. I couldn't lay down because I felt like I would get sick I did.... Prior to this fill, I had never felt my fills instantly but I did this one. I gave it some time because I thought it was due to the swelling and fact that I wasn't used to being so tight.  After not being able to drink water without sliming and choacking I knew a sight unfill was a must!  There is such a fine line between being "too tight" and "just right" It's amazing the difference just a little saline will make. For those of you who thought you could never get enough, trust me, you can get way too much. I was miserable and now I feel SO much better!!!! Just thougth I'd share my experienc with being over filled..... AC

Rose A.
on 3/9/07 3:35 am - Methuen, MA
So glad you are feeling better. I know EXACTLY what its like to be overfilled....been there, done that 2x!!! PBing on my own saliva all night.....awful!

306/261.5/233.5/180

Highest/Day of surgery/CURRENT/Goal
Revision from Lap Band to RNY on June 16, 2009!!
Rose
        Success is a journey....not a  destination.
Dream as if you will live forever......Live as if you will die today.....

tlmjt
on 3/9/07 8:40 am - Seattle area, WA
sorry to hear you had a rough night!  It sounds like you are right at the sweet spot!  Go Ann Tina
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/07 8:43 am - Big Sky Country, ID
I was there and experienced an overfill just a couple weeks ago.  I was fine in the office and even drank all my water....I was fine for 3 days actually and then the fill kicked in.  Did the dr. not have you drink water before leaving the office?  Just curious. That is why I don't believe in fluoro...my fills take from days to a week to kick in and fluoro would not prevent me from being overfilled whatsoever. So glad you are feeling better...yes just a little out helps a great deal... Dee
Marla B.
on 3/9/07 9:21 am
I'm in the same place you were, I had my 5th fill Wednesday, I've been sliming & throwing up, yup, projectile emesis, talked to the bariatric coordinator today, my choice was to go in tonight...that's 100+ mile drive & I can't drive at night or wait until Monday call a clicic I have never been to and convince them I HAVE to see the PA that did the fill...if they don't believe me they can call the Bariatric Coordinator, so, in the meantime I have to keep sippin & barfing
Marla
SandyR
on 3/9/07 10:14 am - Portland, OR
Marla, you need to be seen now, not 3 days from now! You cannot safely keepo barfing, and you will get dehydrated. You're just begging for a slip or worse. PLEASE make arrangements to be seen tonight or tomorrow first thing, at the LATEST. This is dangerous! If your child was this ill and you could not drive, wouldn't you FIND a way to get the child in ?? YOU are worth good care too! Sandy R

DISCLAIMER:  Any suggestions or comments are not intended as medical advice, but only as general information. Please always contact your own surgeon or his staff for any specific problems or concerns you are having. Although I have many years as a medical professional and band educator,  I offer suggestions here only  as an experienced Bandster. 
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/07 11:56 am - Aberdeen, WA
This is from another post: 40. "How does a Lap-Band actually work?" This may help you in understanding the restrictive mechanism of a Lap-Band. The INAMED protocol for Lap-Band fills calls for a six-week delay after surgery, prior to any fills. The purpose for the six-week delay is for the patient’s stomach to heal from the surgery, as well as allowing time for the Lap-Band to “Seat” or “Nestle” into the fat pad between the stomach wall and the interior wall of the Lap-Band. Prior to receiving an EFFECTIVE fill, it is VERY uncommon to have any restriction from a Lap-Band. Some patients will NOT lose weight, or may even GAIN weight until they have received an effective fill in their Lap-Band. Normal weight loss with a properly restricted Lap-Band is between 1 and 2 pounds per week. The normal cycle of fills, restriction and weight loss is as follows: 1. The patient's Lap-Band constricts when the patient receives a fill. Swelling for a few days after receiving a fill is very common. Many doctors require a patient to go on a liquid diet for a day or two after receiving a fill. A fill may have a “Delayed Action” of up to two weeks. A “Delayed-Action” means that the fill may not become effective for up to two weeks after the fill. That is why the INAMED protocol states that fills should not be performed on patients who will not have access to medical care for at least two weeks after a fill. 2. The patient's stomach capacity is lessened as a result of the restriction caused by the Lap-Band.  3. The patient loses weight because they cannot eat as much food.  4. The residual fat-pad between the inside of the Lap-Band and the outside of the patient's stomach reduces in size because of the overall weight loss in the patient. 5. The reduction of the residual fat-pad causes the Lap-Band to become loose again. 6. At that point, the patient needs another fill, because the Lap-Band is loose, and the patient has a loss of restriction, which allows the patient to eat larger amounts of food. 7.  The patient receives another fill and the process starts all over again. Most Lap-Band patients receive several fills to adjust the Lap-Band as their weight loss progresses, and there is less and less residual fat-pad between the inside of the Lap-Band and the exterior of the stomach wall. Once a patient has lost all of their residual fat-pad, fills become less common. As the Lap-Band patient progresses in their weight loss, the effect of very tiny fills (Less than .2ccs) becomes greater and greater. It is not uncommon for a late-stage Lap-Band patient to experience a significant difference in restriction with as little as .05cc of fill. http://obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/a,messageboard/action, replies/board_id,5359/cat_id,4959/topic_id,3230780/ 
Most Active