Reflux

Dossy30
on 9/22/09 9:48 pm - GA
Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a  very long time.  Just very busy with being a full time mom and work full time:)  Anyway, I was banded 18 months ago and I have always had some heartburn and some relux problems but lately I can't sleep.  I'm having to get up and prop up on the couch just to sleep so that I don't reflux. I'm even inhailing it back into my lungs and coughing a lot.   I went to my primary dr and they put me on protonix but that has only been 6 days ago.  Anyway, the first few days were great but it's back!!!  UGH!!  I know before surgery my dr said that  he needed to put a couple stitches in my esophagus (hiatle hernia) but I'm not sure if he did or not.  If he didn't, then that could explain my issues, but if he did....what is is?  I have not been one to vomit so I know that I couldn't have made my band slip that way so what is it?  Do you think I could be eating to fast?  I definately don't think I eat to much.  I will be calling my Dr today to see if he put the stitches in and just go from there.  All I have to say is...I want to keep my band or revise to something else if I have to.  I never want to go back to the "old me".  I'm so scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please HHHHHEEEELLLLPPPP

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/09 10:00 pm - Des Moines, IA
From what I have learned from this board is that  your band is too tight.  Reflux during the night is dangerous, you can get aspiration pneumonia.  (Getting acid into your lungs.)  Most surgeons will fix a hiatal hernia while doing the band.  Hiatal hernias are pretty common in obese people.  I actually had a large hiatal hernia and they had to use mesh to repair mine.  I had reflux prior to surgery and not once since surgery. 

Eating too fast doesn't cause reflux, that would cause you to PB or get stuck.  Are you measuring your food and following what your surgeon recommends?
Dossy30
on 9/22/09 10:05 pm - GA
Yes I still measure my food and don't even eat but 4-6 ounces of food.  The reason I don't think I'm to tight is b/c I haven't had a fill since November which has been 10 months ago.  Could my band have just gotten tighter all of a sudden?

MegMc
on 9/22/09 11:57 pm - Minneapolis, MN

Hi Dossy. I recently went through this same exact thing. I hadn't seen my DOC in over ayear because I thought I had good restriction. Then about 6 months ago the (evening)reflux and severe heartburn ensued. I finally caved and went to see him. He said that my band indeed was too tight and my symptoms immediately dissapeared with a 1cc unfill. He also said that this was the reason for my extremely slow weightloss. I had only lost 12lbs in that year and he said he was surprised that I even lost that because most people whose bands are too tight actually gain weight. Not sure how that works??? Too much slider foods maybe??? Who knows. But I would suggest a slight unfill. You'll feel oh so much better. I recently went back in for a slight fill now that I'm feeling better. He put .5cc's back in and I think I've hit my sweet spot and feelign great. Good luck to you. Keep us posted! :o)

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/09 10:09 pm - Des Moines, IA
I have read that sometimes it has happened and even a very small unfill can do the job.  But no matter why, you need to do something.  Reflux is serious business. 
MOCITYSWEETIE
on 9/22/09 10:14 pm, edited 9/22/09 10:15 pm - TX

I'VE HAD A SLIPPED BAND BEFORE AND TRUST ME, YOU WILL KNOW BECAUSE IT IS PAINFUL. I HAVE ALSO HAD THE PROBLEM YOU HAVE JUST A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO AND A SMALL UNFILL WILL DO THE JOB!

Dossy30
on 9/22/09 11:17 pm - GA
Awesome...thank you guys so much.  I am calling the DR today:)  Just hope I can get there..It's in Atlanta!  The flooding is horrible.

Lisa O.
on 9/23/09 3:21 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Be safe navigating the floods!
Ask your doc about portion size.  According to mine 4-6 oz is too much per meal.  I'm supposed to eat more like 3 oz. per.

Anyway, reflux is a serious symptom.  You should have an upper GI to check you band placement.  That's standard proceedure at 1 year out for my doc.  Did you have it done then?

Get to the doc as soon as you can.  There's no sense taking the risk.

Feel better!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

michele1
on 9/23/09 4:21 am
Revision on 07/07/15
I recently had a unill of just 0.2 because I was having mild heartburn and now it is gone.........instantly although I didn't have problems at night mine were with drinking water and mid day..............but I would have a small unfill..............won't hurt and might work...........

On my surgeons check sheet when we go to asks questions and one of them is are we getting 4-6oz a meal and I normally hover around that...........every doc is different you can have him clarify that for you..........3 oz protein/meat and some veggies would come to around 4 or 5 ounces............

Keep us posted...........

Michele

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

Most Active