Any Other Surgeries on the Horizon?

tracycoder
on 1/10/11 11:51 pm
So, when you reach your weight goal are you planning to have any additional work done on your bodies (or face, even)?

Before I had my band put in, I was considering liposuction on my below-the-bellybutton area (that was a problem area even when I was thin once upon a time) or possibly abdominoplasty if I needed it and a breast lift.

But I was in so much pain after the band was put in (cutting through muscle; yeah I should have known the recovery would hurt!) that I really think I'll keep things as they are.

(Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind if I lose my weight and find that my Girls knock against my knees when I walk!)
steelerfan1
on 1/11/11 12:09 am
No Im not.  My main goal is just to get healthy . Im 40 yrs old its not like I will be prancing around like a 14 yr old girl with shorty shorts , and non covering swimsuits lol.

Im hoping because Im still kinda young that with slow weight loss and me working out 4 days a week of zumba and 3 days a week of toning I wont have much of a problem **keeping fingers crossed lol***

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/11/11 1:17 am - Mexico
On January 11, 2011 at 8:09 AM Pacific Time, steelerfan1 wrote:
No Im not.  My main goal is just to get healthy . Im 40 yrs old its not like I will be prancing around like a 14 yr old girl with shorty shorts , and non covering swimsuits lol.

Im hoping because Im still kinda young that with slow weight loss and me working out 4 days a week of zumba and 3 days a week of toning I wont have much of a problem **keeping fingers crossed lol***

That's not how it works.  Our skin is over grown, damaged, and scarred.  Rate of weight loss isn't going to fix it anymore than it would a burn patient.  The skin is damaged and slow weight loss doesn't fix damaged skin.

Excess skin depends on how much weight is lost, how long you were obese, genetics, smoking history, and age.  Rate of weight loss means absolutely zero for damaged skin.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
(deactivated member)
on 1/11/11 12:13 am - Des Moines, IA

I would if I didn't have one in college and another one next Fall. 
Oh well........................

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/11/11 1:18 am - Mexico

The last 20# are a killer for skin issues, THAT's when you see what is really going on. ;o)

I'm getting a tummytuck, lipo, breast lift, implants, and a thigh lift.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
(deactivated member)
on 1/11/11 1:54 am - Des Moines, IA
I was doomed to saggy skin.  Thanks MOM.  She is 5ft9 and has always weighed 130 and she has the most disgusting, saggy, looking legs, arms and neck and she has never been overweight.  It's mostly genetics and for me, adding my weight loss history and gain history etc, it's not pretty and it's only going to get uglier, BUT, I'd rather be healthy with saggy skin than morbidly obese with saggy skin! hahaha 

I guess if I won the lottery, paid off the house and college loans, then I would have surgery, BUT since I don't play the lottery.........
kathkeb
on 1/11/11 1:44 am
Well, 7 weeks ago, I had bi-lateral Brachioplasty (bat-wing-ectomy) and a breast lift.

My band surgery was so easy and pain-free for me, that I think that I underestimated the tenderness of the plastic surgeries.

My band surgery/hernia repair took about 30 minutes under anesthesia -- my plastic surgery was closer to 4 hours.

My band surgery left me with 4 tiny incisions and 1 port incision (about 2 inches long).
My arm/breast surgery left me with incisions from my elbow to armpit on both arms and from the center of my chest, under my breasts and 1/2 way around my body.

I am very, very pleased with the results of the plastic surgery, but am surprised by the discomfort.  It is still hard to get a good night's sleep because I can't sleep on my chest, or on my sides (incision goes back pretty far) or on my back (arm incisions rub).

I am hopeful that within a few more weeks, that things will get much more comfortable for me.

I am saving for a tummy tuck at the end of the year.  I know now that I need to plan more time off from work, and more time for recuperation.

I saw my Plastic Surgeon yesterday and he said that my healing is 'genetically superior' --- so that is a plus -- and encourages me that my body will handle a TT in a positive way.
Kath

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/11 2:42 am
So glad to see you post; I was wondering how you were doing. Hang in there, slowely but surely you are healing. It's good to know the surgeon thinks everything is okay!
Lisa O.
on 1/11/11 2:42 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Hijack~

Hi Kath!
I've been thinking about you this week with the news of the recent shootings in Tucson.  I pray that this terrible event hasn't touched your life personally in any way. 

Thinking of you and your community as they face the terrible aftermath!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

kathkeb
on 1/12/11 12:36 am
Hi Lisa ---

Thanks for asking --- I was actually at my Lapband Support Group at the University Medical Center on Saturday morning when the shooting happened.

The survivors were ll airlifted to UMC --- but we were not aware of anything that was going on.
I guess that it is the true sign on a Level 1 Trauma center, that a tragedy can be happening just a few floors away, and the rest of the hospital goes on as though nothing special is happening.

We went out to lunch and saw what was happening on the tv in the restaurant.  It was just surreal.

There is a real sadness in the town -- but also a stronger sense of community.
I think that we are all ready for the spotlight to move on to something else.
Kath

Most Active